Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subjects for repeating?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all!
    New to the boards, looking for advice decided that I am going to repeat the leaving cert. Sat it in 2008, back now for 2010.
    Wondering what subjects are best to take up and what to leave behind?
    Any advice please ... ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

I know someone who did whole Ag Science course in period between october- june exams. Had a one hour grind every week. Got an A1. It works for some people, mightn't work for others.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lilxrose wrote: »
    Hi all!
    New to the boards, looking for advice decided that I am going to repeat the leaving cert. Sat it in 2008, back now for 2010.
    Wondering what subjects are best to take up and what to leave behind?
    Any advice please ... ?

lilxrose, if you added some information on

(a) what subjects you did the first time
    (b) what you liked or didn't, did well in or didn't
    (c) what you are aiming for at the end of the year: third level (what type of course?) or other

you might get more sensible / useful replies.

That said, I've seen that type of question come up a lot here, and generally people just don't agree on an answer anyway ... which is natural, everyone is different!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

Personally i'd say biology is a nice subject but really depends on if you are a science person!! a lot of people say business studies is nice but i never did it. Art is extrememly hard to get an A1 in so I would say stay away from it unless you are really really good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

arthistory wrote: »
    Personally i'd say biology is a nice subject but really depends on if you are a science person!!
    It's a long course though, might be tough to cover in one year. But if you've done it before it's a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Im the same i repeated the leavin in 2008 and im going back again this year! If you have the grade required for the college course you want to do in english irish and maths or any other subject needed then you dont have to do them again!!Im not doing irish or maths again. Im going to be taking up biology and accounting as my two new subjects instead.Ag science is suposed to be a good subject to do but there is a lot in it.If you work it would be easy to get a good grade.I am considering whether or not to take it instead of geography.Where are you repeating?some repeat places dont let you do biology or chemistry etc if you havent done it before as they use your lab books from the previous time you sat the leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lilxrose

li-evo7 wrote: »
    Im the same i repeated the leavin in 2008 and im going back again this year! If you have the grade required for the college course you want to do in english irish and maths or any other subject needed then you dont have to do them again!!Im not doing irish or maths again. Im going to be taking up biology and accounting as my two new subjects instead.Ag science is suposed to be a good subject to do but there is a lot in it.If you work it would be easy to get a good grade.I am considering whether or not to take it instead of geography.Where are you repeating?some repeat places dont let you do biology or chemistry etc if you havent done it before as they use your lab books from the previous time you sat the leaving.
    seriously?... I am so dropping ENGLISH!!!! That was torture :P.I am hopefully going to take up chemistry, business and geog. I am not to sure about ag science... i might do it externally.Biology is a tough course , there is alot of material in it. But if you study hard at it you will get a good grade.I am repeating at a near by school, im not going back to my old one. Where are you repeating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

lilxrose wrote: »
    seriously?... I am so dropping ENGLISH!!!! That was torture :P.I am hopefully going to take up chemistry, business and geog. I am not to sure about ag science... i might do it externally.Biology is a tough course , there is alot of material in it. But if you study hard at it you will get a good grade.I am repeating at a near by school, im not going back to my old one. Where are you repeating?

Chemistry is tough but when I did it before I found it interesting and did well at the start then i went a bit a-wall and didnt work lol... thats why im going back again!Business is really good. A lot in it but its easy to remember as each topic is quite repetitive. Geog has a lot in it too and you have a project which is 20% of your marks.Did a field study for mine where we went on trip to do studies on a river in the mountains.That was fun. Heard biology is tough.I did it in fourth year and really like it and I want to do veterinary so would benefit me..even if i dont get veterinary i wanna do nursin so would stil be of use.

Advertisement