Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Head to Windgates

Options
  • 28-08-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

There is a track that goes from behind the cross on Bray Head, that heads towards Greystones and then heads down before terminating on the old Greystones road at Windgates, was trying to research the history of this and could only find that The Earl of Neath , who owned Bray Head at the end of the 19th century built a carriage path around the top of the mountain from which to show important visitors the beautiful scenery.
    I have also heard that it was built for Queen victoria but subsequently not used due to safety concerns regarding a potential attack.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any additional information.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I know the track well and, as far as I know, the land is still owned by the Earl of Meath - but presume that was a typo. Don't know about the origins of the track but it used, in the 1960s/70s, to be a beautiful walk from Windgates to the Cross and far less arduous than the direct approach from Bray Seafront. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

I understand that the track did once accommodate a horse and carriage in the 19th century but the erosion of the coast forced it to be recut at various times. Indeed much the same happened to the railway line.

The only bits that were wide enough fort four wheeled traffic were the few hundred yards from Bray esplanade and near the old Cliff House Hotel at the top of Wingates. It was also navigable all the way from Wingates to Greystones.

The great challenge to we teenagers in the early sixties was to ride your bike the full length of the track from Bray to Greystones without feet touching the ground. This was in the days before mountain bikes. It was difficult enough but we also had our own rules. You had to do it at night. The use of a bicycle lamp was optional! I tried it many times but always fell off somewhere along the track.

I understand that the track did once accommodate a horse and carriage in the 19th century but the erosion of the coast forced it to be recut at various times. Indeed much the same happened to the railway line.

The only bits that were wide enough fort four wheeled traffic were the few hundred yards from Bray esplanade and near the old Cliff House Hotel at the top of Wingates. It was also navigable all the way from Wingates to Greystones.

The great challenge to we teenagers in the early sixties was to ride your bike the full length of the track from Bray to Greystones without feet touching the ground. This was in the days before mountain bikes. It was difficult enough but we also had our own rules. You had to do it at night. The use of a bicycle lamp was optional! I tried it many times but always fell off somewhere along the track.

Alas TheScribbler your memory is playing tricks with you. You're confusing the Cliff Walk between Bray & Greystones with the track from Windgates to the Cross. The section that you refer to (The Cliff Walk) was always a 'pedestrian only' track once you crossed over the railway bridge near Naylor's Cove at Bray - and that was in the mid-1960s. At one time it may have been wider but, as you say, some of it probably fell victim to erosion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

You are quite correct, I have confused the two

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chipperf

I'm pretty familiar with some aspects of the history of the area, an interesting fact - do you know the old ruin a bit of a way along the cliff walk - closer to the Bray end? That was where a small toll was collected by the estate of the Earl of Meath. There was a guy living in the house, and his job was toll collecting.

• Advertisement

A Pictorial History of Bray Co. Wicklow in Three Volumes
    by Henry Cairns and Owen Gallagher, published 2003 by the Old Bray Society.

This is available through abebooks.com and may still be available from the Townhall Bookshop in Florence Road, Bray and covers everything that you could want to know about the town, Bray Head etc.

Advertisement