Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete 1911 census online free

Options
  • 28-08-2009 4:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

All 32 counties have been completed and are online.
    There's no soundex so make sure to try alternate spellings and punctuations.

Well done to the NA for finally getting this finished.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 memberofpublic

Excellent! Well done to them for getting them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Thanks Pinkypinky...I love all this kinda suff!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fascinating stuff - thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wow...fantastic.

Also check out familysearch.org. Although it's run by the Mormons it has a lot of historical Irish census details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

would'it be easier to search for a married couple then having to find the guy and then click through each page to see if the other family names match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

pinkypinky wrote: »
    www.census.nationalarchives.ie

All 32 counties have been completed and are online.
    There's no soundex so make sure to try alternate spellings and punctuations.

Well done to the NA for finally getting this finished.

Thanks very much for posting this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Thanks for the link!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Data_Quest

Great resource: was able to find Great Great Grandparents on 2 branches and Great Grandparent on another branch (one missing Grand Mother on the night of the census?)

Great archive, managed to trace back a couple of generations further! Eleven used to live in what is now the SIL's shed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 limejuice

Hi this is great, really interesting to have all 32 counties at last.

Can anyone help me to decipher the Form B House and Building Return?

On the form I am looking at for one of my family members it has in the Rooms column "5" which the note explains indicates 10, 11, or 12 rooms in the house.

Another column is No. of Rooms occupied by each Family and the entry here is "5" but there is no note on it.

Does anyone know if this means 5 out of 10, 11, or 12 rooms were occupied, or does it just mean they used the same notation as they had in the first column, and meant to indicate that all rooms were occupied?

Sorry if this is a very boring question I am just interested to figure out how this family lived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you found another census return covering the rest of the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 limejuice

I don't think there is anyone else living in the house. It's a farmhouse, there are only three farms in the townland and I have seen the occupants of the other two (the pattern is the same e.g. no. of rooms 3, no. of rooms occupied by family, 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

That's so amazing, I've already found my great grandparents on my mam's side. It's so interesting. That's a great link:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

limejuice wrote: »
    Hi this is great, really interesting to have all 32 counties at last.

Can anyone help me to decipher the Form B House and Building Return?

On the form I am looking at for one of my family members it has in the Rooms column "5" which the note explains indicates 10, 11, or 12 rooms in the house.

Another column is No. of Rooms occupied by each Family and the entry here is "5" but there is no note on it.

Does anyone know if this means 5 out of 10, 11, or 12 rooms were occupied, or does it just mean they used the same notation as they had in the first column, and meant to indicate that all rooms were occupied?

This probably means that more than one family lived in the house - i.e. tenements. I'd be really surprised if there were unoccupied rooms in a house.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Thanks for this link Pinky

Found my great grandmother but not my great grandfather, later her husband. Gotta do some more searching

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Do you think the 1926 census or later will be added like this one.

And is there any older census records made that the public has access to?

If you have a look at the stickie at the top of this forum, I have details of other censuses. 1901 is available on microfilm only but will be digitised by Spring of next year.
    1926 will not be released to the public until 1st Jan 2027 - it is subject to the normal 100 year census rule. I'd imagine that it will be digitised immediately, possibly even released online first.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

I went into hyperventilating mode when I realised all 32 were online! My family thinks I'm so pathetic :P Why I was so excited was because, one Saturday afternnoon, I spent hours in the library trawling through census returns trying to locate my great grandmother but I couldn't find her or her family.

Now, that I'm able to search online I think I've found her and her sister, living with their stepfather, which explains why I couldn't find them because I was looking for their own father as head of house, who obviously died & their mother remarried.

Well done to national archives for getting this completed. Hopefully 1901 will go online at some stage. In my local library, the guy that works in the family history section had his doubts that they'd get it completed because staff had been pulled due to cutbacks.

A double well done that it's FREE !!! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

That's the rest of my week gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

How come there is no census results for my townland. The townland did exist at the time, and I have searched for it with different spellings. I also looked up all the local DED's and surnames - to no avail. I do know some of the surnames who lived in the area during that time, but could the whole townland (rural) be omitted? Is there anyway I can contact the census office to check it all out, or is there another explanation. icon9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If you told us the townland we could maybe help....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The townland might have been known by something else back then. Talk to a few local oldies and they might know. I found that to be the case when I was looking up some of the Clare census.

Slightly off topic I was looking at my great great grandfather's record. He was listed as living in a place called St Patrick's House in Kilmainham on the South Circular Road. It was full of people aged between 65 and 96 and they seemed to be looked after by nuns. One of my cousins thinks it might have been a workhouse but I'm thinking it was some type of old folks hospital. I had a look at a few old maps but not much joy there. It seemd to have been very near the modern St James Hospital. Anyone any ideas?

Try Thoms Directory in Pearse St Library or the National Library and look up the address, it should give you some idea of what the house is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks very much for that suggestion. One of the older relatives in the US managed to source Thom's through some online service and they confirmed that it was in fact an old folks home. I only got the email today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Just another census question.
    I have bee looking up townlands around Tallaght ( Tallagh on census) and Templeogue, both villages then in south county Dublin. However all records show them to be in the Parliamentry district of North Dublin. Does anyone know why this is the case?

Also, records are referenced in the General Records Office as Dublin South and North. Should I look up Tallaght and Templeogue in Dublin North or South?

Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure about the rules governing DEDs (district electoral divisions on the census) but for certain, they would be registered in the Dublin South area for births, deaths and marriages.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was checking the Thoms directory (for 1847 I think it was) and had a look at Tallaght. There were only a handful of people listed there, among them the Bagenals who were still there in the 1970s when I moved to Tallaght.

Advertisement