Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming laptop for 550 euro.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You do risk getting stung with tax though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

You do risk getting stung with tax though.

There was no tax to be paid. I emailed the seller and requested that he mark it as a gift. No hassle through customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

refurbished !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

did he ship by fedex as he says in the auction?
    because if he did , what fedex do is they pay the customs charges in advance and forward a letter to the receiver after about a month asking for the money..
    i read this many times on boards,so there is a risk that it can happen..
    an post seem to be more laid back than proper couriers ..
    also the gift policy , only applies upto a value of about 30 quid ( if i remember correctly),after that tax still applies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Gifts are still come under duty. I bought a nintendo Wii from USA, was sent through FedX. It was stopped at customs, then released. 3 weeks later i got my bill from customs through fedX. Was charged €100, even tho I only paid €220 for the Wii

It got through too fast to be honest. FedX paid the customs duty, no doubt you will get a bill.

Anyways, enjoy the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

have one, you won't be disapointed, plays crysis on high in most areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There was no tax to be paid. I emailed the seller and requested that he mark it as a gift. No hassle through customs.

The old gift trick doesn't very well anymore, you got lucky there chum. There is a risk on paying customs with anything outside of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Say if you where stung by taxes,how much would you stand to pay on the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

donmeister wrote: »

An arm and possibly even a leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

donmeister wrote: »

You'll get stung for vat, 21.5%. Not sure if there is custom duty on laptops, probably not. And depending on how it gets delivered and cleared through customs, sometimes there might be another few quid on top, 'processing fee' or what have you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Depends what value the seller declared on the shipping docs what it was worth, I got a PS3 from Canada, the company put it down as a repaired console at a low value something like 50 dollars and got through fine.

Advertisement