Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

02 Roaming Changes - Bill

Options
  • 28-08-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Got a text from O2 stating - as of the 27th of September when roaming on 02 UK my price plan minutes can no longer be used and will be charged at 30 cent/min. To be honest this is infuriating. I am currently student in the north. The only reason I stayed with o2 in the first place was the fact I could use my minutes either side of the border.
    Because of the above I no longer wish to stay as bill pay as it is of no financial benefit. What is the sitution with termianting the contract. Will the take me to town with charges. Have I any entitlements?

Thanks for your help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

O2 have some neck, on their forum this cross border price gouging is on of the most common issues and now they make it worse! The have materially changed the terms of your contract so should release you from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's in the terms of the contrct you signed when you signed up that they can basically do what they want as regards pricing. So no you can't argue that they've changed the pricing so let me out of contact. You can drop down to the smallest price plan and buy your way out then.
    There sneaky bastar*s when it comes to contracts, the amount of people who have been duped into 18mt contracts by telesales without getting phones is shocking..

Now if you never signed a contract and it was done over the phone you may be able to wrangle your way out of it if you never recieved the terms & conditions of the new contract in the post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 birds town

If you follow the link at the bottom of the text you received, there's some mention of your right to cancel the contract without penalty if you do not accept the new terms.
    Pretty steamed about this myself, but it looks like 3 is the only network left that lets you use inclusive minutes - heard some bad reports about coverage in my area :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rory B

if you are not on your home network (02 irl in this case) they can do whatever they like regardless of contract terms & conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

what price plan are ye on out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

if you are not on your home network (02 irl in this case) they can do whatever they like regardless of contract terms & conditions!

Not at all. A contract is a contact. It may have get out clauses, but they have to abide by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

ardmacha wrote: »

yes but we are Irish you see. we bend over, take it, and then ask the person would they like a cup of tea...

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Was on to the hoors, they claim the roaming charges are an added bonus and are not fundamental to the contract. They 'strangely' failed to mention this when selling me the contract. They are looking for nearly €300 in cancelation fees. Called the NCA, all they said was to read your T&Cs.
    Anyone any ideas?

Was considering 3 before signing this last contract but was told coverage would be poor. Can only get o2 coverage about 20% of the time in the house anyway so probably wouldn't have made much difference

birds town wrote: »
    If you follow the link at the bottom of the text you received, there's some mention of your right to cancel the contract without penalty if you do not accept the new terms.
    Pretty steamed about this myself, but it looks like 3 is the only network left that lets you use inclusive minutes - heard some bad reports about coverage in my area :(

Mis-read your text the first time, just did that - says the following

Please Note: Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic
    communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’
    rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not less than one month
    prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification,
    notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in
    the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to
    withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the
    modification.

is that the all clear?

• Advertisement

In fact I would strongly advise all O2 users affected to end their contracts on this basis and go off and get a new phone with someone else. If people do this then these companies will be slower to sell contracts which they are about to change in the future.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Mis-read your text the first time, just did that - says the following

Please Note: Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic
    communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’
    rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not less than one month
    prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification,
    notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in
    the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to
    withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the
    modification.

is that the all clear?

Apologies for harping on about this. Rang o2 agin today backed up with the above info, terminated the contract with immediate effect, this despite the woman yesterday telling me it couldnt be done, the horrible bitch. Anyone who wants to terminate their billpay account just mention the above.

Advertisement