Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going out in Roscommon town

Options
  • 28-08-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Me and a few of the lads are looking to head out for a weekend away but were looking for something different.

were fed up of the big towns were everyone goes to so we want to try a small town with one nightclub and a few decent pubs.

Roscommon town is one of the towns that has popped up during the search but theres only limited info on it on the net.

so I'm wondering what its like?
    How many pubs?
    what pubs are good?
    whats the nightclub itself like?
    whats the nightclub crowd like?
    anywhere to avoid?
    any cheap places to stay?

Now i know people are probably gonna say its **** but we want to try something different from the norm and would like proper views on places rather than just saying some place is ****

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

anytime ive been out in roscommon town always had a great time;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

smodgley wrote: »
    anytime ive been out in roscommon town always had a great time;):D

Thanks, any particular places to go?

whats the night club called?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

There are about 25 pubs, the best my op are JJ harlows and the hollywood.
    The niteclub is called rockfords its allright.
    Dont realy know of any cheap accomadtion just ring around most places will deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

A few hotels you might want to enquire about;

O'Gara's Royal Hotel: 090 6626317

Abbey Hotel: 090 6626240

Hannon's Hotel: 090 6637644

There are various B&B's around the town aswell. Roscommon is a great spot to go out in, anyone who says its shíte is a muppet. Not too many knacks about (relatively speaking) it draws a big crowd in from the country around it. Big drinking town. I've had many a good night up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

deccurley wrote: »
    O'Gara's Royal Hotel: 090 6626317

:D Doesn't exist any more, burned down a few years ago around Christmas time.

I'd recommend Gleeson's Townhouse http://www.gleesonstownhouse.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 atomicent

What about Carrick on Shannon, great party town

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the coachmans bar has guestrooms.nothing fancy but they are fairly cheap.regans bar in the square is a good spot but will be packed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

MY advice would be to start off in a place like the Green Rooster (Church St) for a few early ones, then make your way down to the square in Roscommon where you have Regans (very young crowd now) or if your in your mid 20's and up, JJ Harlows. There's what one might call a 'superpub' (in roscommon terms :)) called the Hollywood - its the place you go for your last pint prior to making the short trek to the niteclub - Rockfords.

So that plan would entail walking the one path, as ive named the locations in order. ie: Rooster > JJ Harlows > Hollywood > Rockfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ontheroad24/7

Hope u made it to Roscommon & enjoyed urself! I've been living here 7yrs having moved from Naas. It's quiet during the week but comes alive " weekend. Hollywood is a good spot, Regans, JJ's, Coachmans has accom with bar & club downstairs. Rockfords just across the road. Go to the Central on the square for the cure next day, it's like something straight outta the wild west! The locals are very easy to get on with, you'll have a great time & won't want to go home! That's what happened to me, 7 yrs ago !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

dont go to rockfords, terrible smell in there.
    come to think of it dont go to roscommon, terrible smell there in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

dont go to rockfords, terrible smell in there.
    come to think of it dont go to roscommon, terrible smell there in general

The smell seems to be folowing you around. Maybe its you that smells

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Hope u made it to Roscommon & enjoyed urself! I've been living here 7yrs having moved from Naas. It's quiet during the week but comes alive " weekend. Hollywood is a good spot, Regans, JJ's, Coachmans has accom with bar & club downstairs. Rockfords just across the road. Go to the Central on the square for the cure next day, it's like something straight outta the wild west! The locals are very easy to get on with, you'll have a great time & won't want to go home! That's what happened to me, 7 yrs ago !!

Christ, how sad. So it's Regan's, JJ's, The Coachman's and finally The Central for the cure. Wow, Roscommon is a happenin' spot. And you came from Naas for this? Everyone to their own, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Beez Neez

dec25532 wrote: »
    Christ, how sad. So it's Regan's, JJ's, The Coachman's and finally The Central for the cure. Wow, Roscommon is a happenin' spot. And you came from Naas for this? Everyone to their own, I suppose.

Why - where do you come from thats so exciting?

Nothing wrong with Roscommon. Sorry to disappoint you but if you're lookin for Vegas - go to Vegas!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Ain't lookin' for Vegas but certainly ain't lookin' for Roscommon either. Is the Green Rooster still going? A town that is much too incestious for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Ros is a great town with great pubs. When I lived in the town, the Hatch and Harlowes were good pubs. Cant comment on the nightlife as such as I am well past the disco pants days:(.

Advertisement