Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about dangerous driving/speeding in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 28-08-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

I use Chesterfield Ave in the Phoenix Park every weekday morning, from Castleknock entrance and I turn off at the last roundabout before Parkgate St to exit at Islandbridge.

Lately, I've noticed overtaking and speeding has become way WAY worse. On Monday morning, as I was literally just about to go through the Castleknock gate, a large motorbike cut past me at high speed and went at very high speed down the wrong side of the road. I was inches from crushing him between my car and one of the entrance pillars/gates. I had checked my mirrors before pulling off and there was no bike to be seen. He really was driving THAT fast.

Every single morning, at least half a dozen motor cycles pass me buy at high speed. Note that this a public park meant mainly for pedestrians and users of the park. The fact that traffic can use it is only because the OPW allow it. The speed limit is 50KMH and bikes are regularly doing at least 80.

This morning took the biscuit. A bike overtook me at VERY high speed. I'd be most likely underestimating if I said it was doing 100KMH. This is in a park with a 30KMH limit. Then two cars followed suit and passed me out. Also note that the entire avenue is solid white centre line. There is no overtaking allowed (except in exceptional circumstances, of course).

You can say what you like but this is a public park and it's main usage is for park goers. yes, I drive through the park every weekday morning but I respect and obey the rules here, as should everyone. The standards of driving here are appalling of late and I'm sick of it.

I had a look at the OPW website to try find out where to go to complain about this horrendous driving but I can't find anything. Would anyone be able to help with a contact or email address? I'm sure the OPW would be very willing to work with the Gardai (and there are plenty of them available in the Phoenix Park) to try catch and punish the speeding/overtkaing cars and motorcycles that are going to cause an accident someday soon.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Park Rangers do mount speed checks. You might drop them a line advising them of your concerns.

These guys should be able to put you in contact with the rangers

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Dublin/

phoenixparkvisitorcentre@opw.ie

01-6770095

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Info/ContactUs/

Contact Us
    You can contact the Office of Public Works at:

Visitor Services,
    Office of Public Works,
    Unit 20, Lakeside Retail Park,
    Claremorris,
    Co. Mayo

Telephone: + 353 1 647 6000
    Callsave : 1850 600 601
    Fax: + 353 94 937 3395

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks a million for your help, Victor. That is very helpful informations.

:)

Oh, if its dangerous driving the Garda can also prosecute, as the road is open to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The park rangers do speed checks but they are powerless to go any further then inform people they were speeding. It is a public road so all the rules apply as does enforcement.

BrianD wrote: »
    The park rangers do speed checks but they are powerless to go any further then inform people they were speeding. It is a public road so all the rules apply as does enforcement.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/si/0006.html

Bye-law 4(3) and 18, although maximum fine is €6.35.

Oh, and they can arrest you. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1925/en/act/pub/0031/sec0007.html#zza31y1925s7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Victor wrote: »

That was a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I took the ring road around the Chapelizod exit a few weeks and two fallow deer ran out on front of a line of cars. Lucky traffic was slow. One of these going through your windscreen wouldn't be too pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

your wasting you time o.p.. i've been there done that. wrote a letter to a former justice minister about that and what does he do , he sends a jeep to my house to explain the situ. while it maybe a public road technically it's private property or some crap like that and the guards just cant mount speed checks when ever they want. apparently they need permission from the O.P.W. for the speed checks even though the garda H.Q. is in the ****ing place. one of the busiest roads in dublin and they cant even mount a speed check. was also given the speil about the £5 max crap. not worth their while till the laws are changed. mars would probably be colonised by that time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What are "charabanes"

I'd imagine the dolichotis patagonium in the Zoological gardens contravene section 5(2) of SI 6 of twenty six, let alone any geese.

Section 9(11) also seem seems unconstitutional. Only public order or morality can prevent a citizen exercising their conviction or Opinion,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What are "charabanes"
    Misspelt charabancs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charabanc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

OP, Do you drive a Micra? Might explain the overtaking ;o)

Go Team!

I'd imagine the dolichotis patagonium in the Zoological gardens contravene section 5(2) of SI 6 of twenty six, let alone any geese.
    As they say, "save with the permission in writing of the Commissioners". I imagine they have permission.
    Section 9(11) also seem seems unconstitutional. Only public order or morality can prevent a citizen exercising their conviction or Opinion,
    I'm sure the important part is "... to the annoyance of other persons using the Park.", which is a public order issue. :)

BigAl81 wrote: »

Go Team!

Nope, a Focus. My speed through the park (and anywhere else) is dictated by these little signs Moto236.gif - I hope to god you're familiar with them!!!

Oh and thanks again for the help Victor. Pretty weird that nothing much can be done about such a dangerous situation. Do you reckon it's one of those cases where something will be done WHEN there's an accident where someone is hurt or killed? Ireland tends to operate this way most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are plenty of drivers who seem to think they own the Park since the OPW opened it up for through traffic. As well as the speeding, I have noticed drivers acting aggressively towards people trying to use the Park for its intended recreational purposes. I reckon I might write a few letters to the relevant TDs/councillors asking if the bye-laws can be updated to allow meaningful fines.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote: »
    Are the park rangers actually appointed as Park Constables?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Incondiderate driving really bugs me in the park. I use it several times a week for recreational and exercise purposes and always adhere to the limit on Chesterfield Avenue, you have lots of kids, animals, joggers and cyclists around. As a result I will usually have someone tailgating me trying to get me to go fast. I've had 2 fairly recent cases, one was 2 women in a car sitting on my arse, the driver gesturing me to go faster and then throwing her hands in the air as I slowed down to let some people cross near the Zoo. The ridiculous thing was that she drove into the carpark behind me at Military Road as her and her friend were going running. She was gone before I had a chance to say anything but I was stunned that someone using the park for such purposes would drive like she did.

The other occasion, about 2 weeks ago, was similar, a car came fairly quick behind me while I was at the limit, sat there for a while before overtaking me at a bit of speed. As it went by I noticed it was an unmarked garda car which was not on a call. Ironically I arrived 1 car behind it at the Castleknock gate before going by him as he was turning right towards the N3 just before Castleknock village. Had I not been in a happy place I may have reported him.

Was driving there at night before and had a Garda car sitting on my ass with its main beams on for ages before finally overtaking me.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Was driving there at night before and had a Garda car sitting on my ass with its main beams on for ages before finally overtaking me.

You should have given him a few flashes of the rear fogs and if that doesn't work, leave them on. I find this very effective as the rear fogs will annoy the driver behind (not nearly as annoying as full beams in your mirrors) so he/she will try flash their full beams at you to let you know you have your rear fogs on. At this point, he/she will (well 9 times out of 10) notice that they have their full beams on. Failing that, I will slow right down and they will either cop on or else pass you out. Very very annoying when people don't notice that their full beams are on (or dipped headlights are not on, for that matter)!
    Alternatively, you could just pull in straight away and let the offending car pass but this is just passing the problem onto another innocent driver.

Back on topic, I got a reply from a girl in the OPW and she said she's passing the info onto the Park Rangers. What will happen now is anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 W1ct0ry

You people should have your licenses revoked.
    BigAl81 wrote: »

Yes!!!!

:D

highdef wrote: »
    You should have given him a few flashes of the rear fogs and if that doesn't work, leave them on. I find this very effective as the rear fogs will annoy the driver behind (not nearly as annoying as full beams in your mirrors) so he/she will try flash their full beams at you to let you know you have your rear fogs on. At this point, he/she will (well 9 times out of 10) notice that they have their full beams on. Failing that, I will slow right down and they will either cop on or else pass you out. Very very annoying when people don't notice that their full beams are on (or dipped headlights are not on, for that matter)!

Chances are they would have pulled me if I tried funny stuff. I have heard of less scrupulous members of the force doing tailgating with main beams carry-on to wind people up.

Didn't actually know it was a Garda car until it passed me. If someone tailgates me, I always stick firmly to the speed limit out of stubbornness. Other people have gotten speeding tickets after speeding up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Jeez, in that Statute, it still refers to the Free State.

DRILLING AND PRACTISING MILITARY EXERCISES IN THE PARK.

14. No person other than members of the Defence Forces of Saorstát Eireann or of the Gárda Síochána shall, save with the permission in writing of the Commissioners, train or drill themselves or be trained or drilled to the use of arms, or practice gymnastics or any military exercises, manoeuvres, or evolution in the Park.

I know its very old stuff but that sort of thing can be updated surely?

AndyP wrote: »
    Jeez, in that Statute, it still refers to the Free State.

DRILLING AND PRACTISING MILITARY EXERCISES IN THE PARK.

14. No person other than members of the Defence Forces of Saorstát Eireann or of the Gárda Síochána shall, save with the permission in writing of the Commissioners, train or drill themselves or be trained or drilled to the use of arms, or practice gymnastics or any military exercises, manoeuvres, or evolution in the Park.

I know its very old stuff but that sort of thing can be updated surely?

Updated to what? Why should military exercises be legal now ?

W1ct0ry wrote: »

I think he means the references to "Saorstát Eireann".

Stark wrote: »
    I think he means the references to "Saorstát Eireann".

Ah right, it is in bold, didn't notice that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

When were military exercises ever illegal and who is gona stop them anyway.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Does it not say the opposite, that only members of the Garda and Army are allowed to do so without prior permission from the commissioner ? So as it is, military exercises are legal.

Advertisement