Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have a criminal record

Options
  • 28-08-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

on a lot of visa application forms there is the question 'do you have a criminal record'. about 5 years ago i was charged with careless driving (5 penalty points and a 1500euro fine). does this count as a criminal record? anyone any idea where i can find out? would i be better off not mentioning this on any applications?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If it turns out to be a criminal offence and you fail to mention it on your form, you will have committed another offence.

I'm assuming when you say "charged" that you were convicted, otherwise you wouldn't be asking... :D

I'm checking with a colleague to see if it is a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jozywales

ya i meant convicted. sounds a bit harsh calling myself a convicted criminal though seeing as it was a fairly minor car accident. thanks for checking it out, if you find anything out id be grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I got word back from my colleague who says that as far as she knows they are (she's a barrister), but you probably should declare them. It's easier for them to determine if it's a criminal offence under their law. Traffic offences may just be misdemeanours in the US, for example.

Sorry it's not a difinitive answer, but without trawling through some statutes I can't be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

A traiffic violation isn't a criminal conviction in the US. Well not the one you describe. But i'd call up the embassy if it is something that could come back to you at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

My advice would definitly declare it, you don't want it coming back and biting you in the bum when you get to the country just to be turned back again.

better safe than sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement