Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are We Jazz Musicians Anymore?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I thought you might be interested to know that there is an article by bassist Ronan Guilfoyle called 'Are We Jazz Musicians Anymore?' in the latest issue of The Journal of Music.
    --
    http://www.journalofmusic.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As much time seems to be spent analyzing it's history than actually playing jazz. Just play, and let the listener decide what it is he/she is listening to. Life is too short for this nonsense. I'd be inclined to agree with the student in the article who said he was a "musician who played jazz" rather than a "jazz musician". Music is music and a musician plays "music". I don't even like the term "jazz" as it generally assumes a certain period in it's history.

As for it "vanishing beneath a welter of styles and techniques"... to this I say... why not ? :confused: This prevents it from going stagnant. Jazz is a constantly evolving art form, and I hope it remains that way.

Where would we be today if the likes of Miles, Coltrane, Parker, etc, had not broken the tradition that prevailed up to that, and brought their own new style and technique to the music ?

Just enjoy, and leave the analyzing to the historians. ;)

Advertisement