Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas

Options
  • 28-08-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Been thinking of getting a tattoo for a while now, want it to be focused around my two little boys and more than likely on my back. Was looking at the Celtic symbol for protection.. Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

what is your source for this symbol?

if your answer is "the internet", then chances are some new age looney in the US came up with it, not the celts...be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Ive found it pretty hard to find pics on line of them, gonna pick up a few books on it i think

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Its nice man, bit of meaning behind it.

• Advertisement

heyjay14 wrote: »
    Its nice man, bit of meaning behind it.

Thats exactly what i want, not getting itjust for the sake of it.. Thinking of getting my boys names in ogham writting as well

That would be slick alright man, atleast your not going to get sick of your young lads name.(I dont think):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I know I'll kick myself for getting into this, but hey, why not...

The knot work everyone is posting here is based on knot work for the likes of the Book of Kells and some gold and silver chalices. these were made by monks, and are Early Christian in origin, not Celtic. While you might have certain types of knot associated with particular geographical areas or with particular content (ie a gospel etc), there is not knot that was "for protection", in that the church even then regarded that sort of thing as running contrary to the christian faith.

If there were a celtic symbol for protection, which I would be suprised by tbh, it would be much older, and come from France, and be simpler and spiral-y.

The pieces you are finding online here are just made up and very tenuously tied into semi celtic imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The thread title shouildn't hav e an aposrtophe.#

I'm drunk, forgie me for my pedanticism!

hot2def wrote: »
    I know I'll kick myself for getting into this, but hey, why not...

The knot work everyone is posting here is based on knot work for the likes of the Book of Kells and some gold and silver chalices. these were made by monks, and are Early Christian in origin, not Celtic. While you might have certain types of knot associated with particular geographical areas or with particular content (ie a gospel etc), there is not knot that was "for protection", in that the church even then regarded that sort of thing as running contrary to the christian faith.

If there were a celtic symbol for protection, which I would be suprised by tbh, it would be much older, and come from France, and be simpler and spiral-y.

The pieces you are finding online here are just made up and very tenuously tied into semi celtic imagery.

Thanks for confusing me more :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement