Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parallel universes.

Options
  • 28-08-2009 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if there is any truth/ facts behind the theory of parallel universes? I've always wondered whether they could exist or not, but I have little/ no knowledge on the matter.

Are parallel universes possible or is it just the stuff of science fiction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Brilliant question and one I wonder about myself!!

I think it depends on what you mean by 'parallel'.

The stuff of science fiction says that for every decision we make we have a number of choices and as soon as we make that choice another universe(s) exists where we made the other choice(s).

I don't know if there's any Maths to prove that or even define it in theory but I have read that some physicists believe it's entirely possible for entire universes to form even within our own atmosphere. Some believe that microscopic (to us) universes come into being, form galaxies and solar systems and collapse out of existence in microseconds, all around us, every day. Again, I don't know what the basis for that belief is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The stuff of science fiction says that for every decision we make we have a number of choices and as soon as we make that choice another universe(s) exists where we made the other choice(s).
    it's not based on us, it's each alternative pathway , like when a radioactive atom decays or which way a raindrop runs down a window , or how long it takes a particular photon to travel from the centre of a star to surface

to me that would be too many especially when you have to take into account all the other universes that could be formed from slight differences in initial conditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle
    The observed values of the dimensionless physical constants (such as the fine-structure constant) governing the four fundamental interactions are balanced as if fine-tuned to permit the emergence of life. A slight increase in the strong nuclear force would bind the dineutron and the diproton, and nuclear fusion would have converted all hydrogen in the early universe to helium. Water and the long-lived stable stars essential for the emergence of life would not exist. More generally, small changes in the relative strengths of the four fundamental interactions can greatly affect the universe's age, structure, and capacity for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Are parallel universes possible or is it just the stuff of science fiction?
    From two different points of view:

1) No, they are a mathematical construct - every random quantum event could go one of two ways, and the outcome isn't predictable before it happens. Therefore each such event mathematically divides the universe into two possible universes.

2) Yes, the universe(multiverse) is infinite so by definition anything that can exist does exist somewhere. For every quantum event that goes one way in our universe there is somewhere out there a universe that is identical to ours except for the result of that random quantum event.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Brilliant question and one I wonder about myself!!

I think it depends on what you mean by 'parallel'.

I don't know if there's any Maths to prove that or even define it in theory but I have read that some physicists believe it's entirely possible for entire universes to form even within our own atmosphere. Some believe that microscopic (to us) universes come into being, form galaxies and solar systems and collapse out of existence in microseconds, all around us, every day. Again, I don't know what the basis for that belief is.

Thanks, I was actually worried in case it sounded a bit silly. :o

I find it to be a very interesting topic, even if it may be somewhat far fetched.

This link does provide some interesting reading.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/paralleluni.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

do a bit of reading into schrodingers wave functions, theres some really interesting stuff there

i couldnt begin to understand the maths behind it, but the actual idea itself makes for some really really interesting reading. quantum physics is absolutely insane stuff, and really really interesting even if youre rubbish at maths like me

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    i couldnt begin to understand the maths behind it, but the actual idea itself makes for some really really interesting reading. quantum physics is absolutely insane stuff, and really really interesting even if youre rubbish at maths like me
    Its all probability functions, representing the possible state-to-state transitions a particle can go through.

Doesn't equate to parallel realities though, as each particle only follows one of the possible paths.

For mathematical analysis, you have to consider the random distribution of particles in the wave among the possible paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gurgle wrote: »
    Doesn't equate to parallel realities though, as each particle only follows one of the possible paths.

what about particles that can be 2 places at once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Reading this thread i presume must be like reading the script from the matrix

Helix wrote: »
    what about particles that can be 2 places at once?
    :confused:
    Subjectively or objectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Reading this thread i presume must be like reading the script from the matrix

Take the red pill or the blue pill. It's your choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement