Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Chicken Embryos Produce Dinosaurs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I believe Jack Horner wrote a book or paper on that subject not too long ago.
    To be honest, they wouldn't be making any actual prehistoric dinosaur, just a chicken with extremely dinosaur like traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Galvasean wrote: »
    I believe Jack Horner wrote a book or paper on that subject not too long ago.
    To be honest, they wouldn't be making any actual prehistoric dinosaur, just a chicken with extremely dinosaur like traits.

Well, it's a start :p

We've created a monster! :eek:

chicken-dinosaur.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wish they'd give as much attention to stuff that is possibly doable, like mammoths or better still giant sloths. We have the full DNA for them and living organisms that are close.

We share a lot of DNA with gorillas and chimps and bonobos but our chromosome number is different since one of ours is equlivant to two of thiers joining together , simple stuff like this may make it more difficult.

We have the same DNA in all our cells, but the cells are different because of their environment and history , you would get the same problem in trying to reuse ancient DNA.

Jack chats about the idea:
    http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2011/06/jack-horner-explains-how-to-build-a-dinosaur/

I think Horner fancies himself as something of a comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Jack chats about the idea:
    http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2011/06/jack-horner-explains-how-to-build-a-dinosaur/

I think Horner fancies himself as something of a comedian.

Oh, he is a comedian all right! But not in the way he thinks he is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Marsha McMallow

He did a TED talk on this recently too. He doesn't go too in depth, and takes a while to get to the interesting stuff, but it's worth a gander none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

No. You'd produce a chicken. more likely a mutant chicken. Either way, it probably wouldn't be viable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I remember reading something when I was a kid; an article on how some chicken could develop teeth due to a certain genetic mutation. The interesting thing is that the teeth were ziphodont, just like those of most theropods. This was taken as the time as important evidence that chickens were indeed dinosaurs.
    But the mutation was deadly to the chicken embryo so no sharp-toothed chicken has ever actually been born. :(

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I remember reading something when I was a kid; an article on how some chicken could develop teeth due to a certain genetic mutation. The interesting thing is that the teeth were ziphodont, just like those of most theropods. This was taken as the time as important evidence that chickens were indeed dinosaurs.
    But the mutation was deadly to the chicken embryo so no sharp-toothed chicken has ever actually been born. :(

Until... now!
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060223083601.htm

• Advertisement

That is precisely the article I meant... but it does say that the mutation kills the embryo before its born.

I actually recall seeing an article n a tabloid newspaper from about a year ago which had a full grown chicken with at least one tooth. Hmm.....

For no particular reason I can discern, the Discovery Channel are hyping this up again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 niall_h

velociraptor_feathered.jpg

Shouldn't be too hard to make a Velociraptor, so. This is what they really looked like, apparently.

Advertisement