Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about repeating?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Im planning to repeat and sit the HPAT again so I can have another shot in getting medicine. Im going to take on chemistry and study it in the one year so I have the option to apply to the 5 year course. A person has recently brought up a question to me though and of which I havent a clue.
    I did my LC in 2009, and say if I achieve lower points in 2010 than 2009, can I have the option to use either of these points? I know I sound confusing, but my chemistry result will be included in my 2010 result, but I will want to use these points if I do get medicine as this LC result includes HL chemistry. But isnt it the case they take your BEST LC result if you repeat? Or can I say that I would like to use the 2010 result?
    I dont think I will go down in points if I repeated, but say if I did, I just want to be sure.

Does anyone know???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Its a very small technicality, probably one which hasn't been ruled on yet. It only affects a very small number of people. My own opinion would be that you should need chemistry with the rest of your leaving cert in one year, as both the 5 and 6 year courses are technically different courses which both have the same entry requirements.

Its nothing a quick call to the cao or one of the collages wouldn't solve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

I repeated myself this year,that post was a bit confusing alright :confused: but from what i can grasp you want to know if you can keep your points from last year if you do worse ? if you do worse you can keep your points from this year but you cant mix and match points from each year its one or the other,however if you only need the grade in chemistry you can take last years points but it will be acknowleged that you have done chemistry. . . confusing stuff hope i cleared it up a bit . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

MiciG91 wrote: »
    I repeated myself this year,that post was a bit confusing alright :confused: but from what i can grasp you want to know if you can keep your points from last year if you do worse ? if you do worse you can keep your points from this year but you cant mix and match points from each year its one or the other,however if you only need the grade in chemistry you can take last years points but it will be acknowleged that you have done chemistry. . . confusing stuff hope i cleared it up a bit . . .

She wants to know if she can do the 5 year medicine course if she hasnt done chemistry in the same year as the rest of her leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

MiciG91 wrote: »

I know its a confusing scenario, I tried explaining it to my careers guidance teacher yesterday and he hadn't a clue!:rolleyes:I understand your comment though saying that if it was any other course besides medicine, if you do worse the following year you can take your BEST LC result out of the two sittings. But with medicine you need to have all the requirements in the one year, Im asking do you have a choice when choosing which LC reults you want to take, taking entrance requirements into consideration.

Let me look at an example, a person got 510 points in their LC and only had OL Irish. They decide to repeat the LC, change to HL Irish, and therefore they could aim for primary teaching with their HL Irish, but decide to repeat anyway to keep their options open for courses with higher points. This person repeats in 2010 but then gets 500 points in the leaving. Will the CAO automatically take the 2009 result of 510 because it was the higher result?
    I know this person would get into primary teaching anyway, but lets just say that all the matriculation requrements had to achieved in the one year like medicine. Could this person take the 2010 result anyway as this result included the HL irish result?
    (I know this sounds very confusing but Im trying to word it in the best way I can!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Yes you can and the year you spend doing chemistry wont be a waste because you will have less years in college 5 and you will be better pre prepared for the huge task ahead lots of people do this, only thing is the 5 years its go from the very start best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Yes you can and the year you spend doing chemistry wont be a waste because you will have less years in college 5 and you will be better pre prepared for the huge task ahead lots of people do this, only thing is the 5 years its go from the very start best of luck

Oh thats a relief!!! Thanks very much! I got 570 in my LC and people think Im crazy, but I didnt get medicine this year, but I thought seeing as I am taking the year out I might aswell repeat and aim for the 5 yr course in UCC. They dont offer the 6 yr course with the one science subject i.e. my biology. My main priority this year is to get a better score in the HPAT, and improve by at least 30 points. So many people do this?
    Did you do medicine yourself? Any advice?

Advertisement