Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best package to use Wordpress?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

http://www.elegantthemes.com/

Going to be doing a wesite for my brother, using this kind of theme for it. Will it be editable in Dreamweaver or will I have to install another package for this? Thanks... Also what's the best option for an Irish hosting site for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Which theme to use is entirely up to your own taste.

The theme will be editable in any text editor, including Dreamweaver, but will have VERY limited support for the Design View due to the PHP in the code.
    You'll also need to get to know the theme's files, there are many and each one controls a part of the layout.

For hosting, see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075688

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

really couldnt do much with design view, the site works different than normal websites

basically one page would include several other pages, such as [header.footer,body,sidebar] and you will have to edit those separetley to see changes, most of the editing will take place on the style sheet, css file.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

So I'd have to change everything in code view? Is it still possible to preview in browser if I use Dreamweaver? Will I actually need to use Wordpress or stick with Dreamweaver? Also does Wordpress have a preview to browser option? Haven't used it before...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

your looking at installing apache, because php files require a server to be run on so essentially you could install apache and have source files there and you could preview in a browser as you code, not sure if preview in dream weaver would work

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Are you aware that Wordpress is a Content Management System (CMS) ? It is uploaded to a server via FTP or other File Manager, then installed and viewed only through a browser...

Dreamweaver is like a super-advanced version of Notepad with a whole load of additional features in it. You can't possibly compare Dreamweaver and Wordpress.

Editing of the files which Placebo mentioned can be done through the Wordpress backend itself, but I would highly recommend doing this through Dreamweaver instead. As soon as you save the file, any changes you made will appear on your site.

I suggest you set-up a test server on your own computer using XAMPP and practise using and customizing Wordpress, before deciding to get hosting.

This here might also be worth reading to get to know Wordpress and how exactly it works. There are some good pointers there on how to get yourself up and running, and how to use it at a more advanced level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Cool, I've designed one or two websites using Dreamweaver but this is completely a new kettle of fish. I'll have a look through and see what I make of it, cheers!

Advertisement