Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should i buy a skateboard in dublin?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

im 13 and i have just started skateing but i have a really bad skateboard from smyths:P where should i buy a new 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

G1 on o'connoll street, BLVD around from Stevens green and http://www.wreckless.com would be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 una47

thanks but ware is g1 on oconnel street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

una47 wrote: »
    thanks but ware is g1 on oconnel street?
    g1 is beside burger king and mcdonalds at o'connell bridge, there was also a shop called skate city in temple bar dunno if its still there though

thnx

is g1 above a phamacy if so wat is the pharmacy called

• Advertisement

It is, but I've no idea.
    It's beside the paper guy and burgerking, or macy's. I'm never sure... Hate those places.

CianRyan wrote: »
    It is, but I've no idea.
    It's beside the paper guy and burgerking, or macy's. I'm never sure... Hate those places.

thnks 4 all the help guys i found g1 i went upstairs but i was to afraid to go in nxt time i go i will bring my fearless friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

you were too scared to go in? have fun learning how to skate.

i have been going to g1 since about 2000. i was a wee nipper but they were always great, they still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I need to get some lube, could you recommend any shops going from the Lucan area? I have only 60 minutes lunch break to go to any skate shop to buy it.
    Are there any skate shops in Lucan or N4 area of Co. Kildare?

• Advertisement

lube for what?

For his bearings... Obviously.

Don't know of any shops out that way.
    Maybe order it online if you don't have the time to get out to the shops?

people are too picky about their boards, have fun and dont worry. just skate and if something breaks then fix it. if your bearings are starting to choke use some wb40 or some kind of oil. it doesnt need to be 'special super fantastic/expensive skate lube'.

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    people are too picky about their boards, have fun and dont worry. just skate and if something breaks then fix it. if your bearings are starting to choke use some wb40 or some kind of oil. it doesnt need to be 'special super fantastic/expensive skate lube'.

That stuff will wreck your bearings.
    Never relube your bearings with out cleaning the dirt out first, don't put to much lube on, it builds up and slows down your bearings.
    Some thing doesn't have to break if you don't let it get to far in the wrong direction.

Basically, if you want to be lazy, skate on a **** of a board and have to replace expensive part all the time... by all means go ahead.
    But please, don't talk about something you clearly don't understand and taint others minds with your misinformation.

There is a reason you buy special oil for bearings, for now I don't need to get into that.
    You don't necessarily have to buy skate lube, truck(as in broom broom trucks) bearing lube works quite well as well.
    I think what works best is "Rocket Propellant Skate Bearing Lubricant".

@Wreckless, get that lube and all of the other Rockin' Ron's Rockets bearings/lubes in stock.
    I'll buy them all! ;)
    No one else is Ireland stalks them and they are by far better than any other bearings on the market.

Edit: Stuff's in here.
    Not sure if they deliver to Ireland anymore.

i used mechanical oil on my reds for about 6 or 7 years and they were perfect, i never had a problem with them.

as for the lube, it is 6€ for a very small bottle. i dont really care if anybody wants to use special skate oil on their boards, it is their board. i just want to let everybody know that i ,along with many others, used any normal oil for years and it didnt have any adverse effects on our boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Thing is WD40 isn't an oil it's a moisture dispersant and is more suited to releasing rusted nuts and bolts. 3in1 oil maybe what you were thinking of thats OK to use on bearings.
    WD40 isn't because it acts as a degreaser and will dilute any grease in your bearings and leave them dry after it evaporates. The only time I've heard of it used on skate bearings is by downhill racers who'd grease their bearings spray in WD40 just before a race and then chuck their bearings after the race. Not something most of us can afford to do. They've no doubt moved onto synthetic teflon/molybdenum based lubricants now.
    But sure everyone knows that right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

kind of off topic here but on bearins and cleaning them

if a bearing is almost stuck/ siezed, then removing the shields and using some cotton wool buds dipped in a bearing oil will removed the dirt, graphite and dust and maybe even some of the rust, it might get them spinning again. if they have become rusted, then there pretty much fookt. the steel balls have corroded and are no longer round or smooth so no matter what u do with them , they are bolixt. in the bin. but if ist just dirt, dust etc, then they could be given a new lease of life by cleaning them. even blowing through the bearing can removed unwanted particles of dirt. pop a couple of drops in of bearing oil, and spin the bearing, now again with more cotton wool buds, clean them again removing even more dirt, repeat a couple of times, and the bearings should be as good as new.

WD40 (water displacement 40) is a handymans tool for freeing up rustly locks, nuts, bolts etc, car engines, but isnt formulated for bearings. manufacturers of bearings recommend low viscosity oils as lubricants for a reason.

some skaters do ride shieldless and say its as good, everyone to their own i guess.

shagman wrote: »
    Thing is WD40 isn't an oil it's a moisture dispersant and is more suited to releasing rusted nuts and bolts. 3in1 oil maybe what you were thinking of thats OK to use on bearings.)

ah, good man. i was thinking of 3in1 oil. sorry about that.

Thanks for all the replies. I was waiting few minutes in front of the G1 store on Saturday morning to get the Speed Cream. However further inspection showed that the bearing in my longboard are industrial and sealed.
    I gave them repeated and good bath in everything I have found in the shed. And then was funny part of rolling in some lube. They feel and sound much better now, however one was seized completely and does not feel so smooth after all the cleaning and greasing.
    Maybe there will be new X-mass pressie waiting for me soon :-)

By the way, getting to the city centre on Saturday morning and finding that the shop is open from 10 and not from 9, and that the shop won't open at 10, but some time later, that was not the best I was hoping for. Seriously, I am confused. Is it fun or business?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

ThOnda wrote: »

By the way, getting to the city centre on Saturday morning and finding that the shop is open from 10 and not from 9, and that the shop won't open at 10, but some time later, that was not the best I was hoping for. Seriously, I am confused. Is it fun or business?

our shop is open 24/7/365 !!!! :D:D:D

start shopping online and save your self all that hassle

http://shop.wreckless.ie

• Advertisement

I spend quite a lot of time locked in windowless office not seeing many people and studying at home in front of the screen increases a little need to see people. And knowing how lame I am about sports, it is nice to see skilled and motivated people. But the bearings will be bought on-lline, of course :-) Unless somebody will offer free in-store replacement :-)

Advertisement