Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McAfee - would I ever go back to them...

Options
  • 27-08-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

For maybe 4 or 5 years I had been a loyal customer to McAfee Anti-Virus & Security Centre software. I had initially bought a DELL (don't let me start on DELL - although at least they seem fair with replacement parts - I digress...) - and with this DELL, I continued a McAfee deal and kept this going for a few years - beyond this I changed P.C. to a self-build, got the quad-bug...

However, I had noticed on the final year (actually ends in a week) of my McAfee subscription that they had double billed me for that year - and investigating more - I noticed they had also done this the previous year (Admittedly I could have noticed this a year early but let’s try get past this).

I had contacted McAfee on possibly 15 occasions and I got absolutely nothing from them but lies and smugness... just a pure ignorant run-about, ended with claims (get this!) - that this was a DELL problem...

So without dragging on too much further...

I will not use McAfee in the near future, likely never - not even as a gift at this point. Aside from the approx 70-80E extra-expense from double-billing, I find even with a quad-core and 4gigs, their software is so CPU intensive, demanding huge resources and auto-pausing at the barest sign of an external program requirement for RAM or CPU.

Soooooo.... could you please share your experiences of both paid for free AV software/companies - their software and customer service and make recommendations (AV, Firewall, etc...). Thanks for reading...

edit: Real world experience and opinions would be great
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Comodo and avast (both free) and back up all files to external hard drive. Easy no?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Web

Looks like this didnt take off - maybe I'll be shouted at for duplicate content - Oh No!

With regard to McAfee - I got a message the other night surfing, not verbatim of course but along the lines

McAfee: "You have got a virus/trojan" "We can not remove it" "Sugest you try yourself" and of course (again) I'm ad-libbing, but essentially the message. Buyer beware!

Advertisement