Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate Nike Clubs - Club Advice?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am soon to purchase a new set of clubs. I played a lot in my teens (in my late 30s now)but over the years i got out of the habit and am now lucky to play once a year. I want to start playing again as I love the game. I have Heritage clubs around 15 years old so wish to get some new modern ones. I have budgeted approx €700/€800 for irons(PW and SW),2 hybrids,driver,3 wood,putter,bag.
    I can still hit the ball relatively ok,especially my irons. Driving off a tee is a different matter. Lost all confidence there!!
    I would have a handicap somewhere in the 20s.
    I went to a shop recently and tried swinging some clubs. TaylorMade,Callaway and Nike were the brands I tried. They had plenty more brands in there but I just tried those 3.
    The Nikes(Ignite and Slingshots) felt lovely to swing(and weren't too pricey) but I couldn't strike a ball as they had no demo Nikes there.
    Will be purchasing in the next couple of weeks.
    Are the Nikes well regarded? Are they good clubs? Just asking because I didn't know they made clubs and Callaway,Titleist,Ping,Taylormade etc seem to be the brands I'd know. Someone told me they are coming strong into the market and make good clubs.
    Also,I'd be keen on buying 2 hybrid clubs as my 3 and 4 iron playing was never that good. Any recommendations? Nike again?
    As for a driver,and 3 wood,any advice would be great. If I were to buy a particular brand of iron,should I buy the same brand of woods?
    If it helps,my swing speed would be relatively slow,I don't hit the ball too far, so clubs that would help with distance would be great.
    I am average height,5 foot 9 or 5 foot 10.Slim build. Wouldn't be the strongest guy in the world!
    I have decided I'd prefer irons with a steel shaft and hybrids/woods with a graphite shaft. Irons with a cavity back have been recommended to me. I suppose forgiving clubs would suit me best.
    To sum it up,forgiving clubs that will also aid distance.
    Anyway,that should be more than enough info!!!
    Hopefully,some of you guys can give me some helpful advice,steer me towards some clubs that you think will suit me. I can then try them out,see what i like, and get the shop guys to custom fit me etc...
    Thanks a million guys. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Mizono have some lovely game improvement irons in the MX100 and MX200 ranges. The MX100s would be very forgiving on mis-hits and also have a wider sole making it easier to get the ball airborne. Most golf shops here will stock these irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I have Nike blades. I like them, but preferred the Mizunos I've had in the past. Mizuno are a lovely club, in my opinion.

From my experience, the Cobra hybrids are very nice. I have one and it never fails me.

The Ping woods are pretty good. I usually use a Mizuno, but tired a Ping the other day and it was a good bit better.

My advice comes after trying only a limited range of clubs, so someone else might be able to advice you more authoritavely.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

All of the brands you listed have wide ranges of clubs suited to all standards and types of golfer. They are also all high quality. My advice would be to go to a credible supplier and get fitted for a game improving set. Make sure you like the look of what you're testing/buying and don't be afraid to offer your thoughts while you're testing. Drivers aren't scary either! The wrong driver is useless, the right one, when you find it is a joy to hit and makes the game so much more fun!

Enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

For what its worth as every player is different I was in exactly the same position as you returning to the game after too many years away with an old set of Titliest irons.

I went with game improving irons as I dont think I'll be hitting single figure handicap in the near future!

I tried a good few sets and for me the King Cobra s9 irons are a great buy, forgiving on those rare! shots that dont come of the middle and for me I got at least 10yards further on my irons. I even find the 4iron pretty easy to hit so only have one hybrid in the bag(an inherited one), which I am hoping to change or add too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nike make trainers and running shoes and footballs......Do Titleist ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BunkerMentality

Szondi wrote: »

Mizuno also make running shoes, tennis rackets and so on... does that disqualify them from making golf equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Szondi wrote: »

Doesnt seem to harm Tiger Woods game using his customised Nike clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

I have a set of Slingshot 4d's.They're last years model, so were very reasonable.They're beautiful to hit, very forgiving and solidly made.Steel shafts are still very light.I'd recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just looking at your budget as I think its ambitious.

You will get a great set of secondhand clubs for ~250/300 and last years driver for 150. Last years f/way woods/rescues will be ~90. You will get a good putter for another 150. A SW/LW will be another 90.
    You now need a bag for ~75.

300 3-pw
    150 driver
    150 putter
    90 1R
    90 2R
    90 SW/LW
    75 Bag

945 total
    And no caddy car (considered an electric? another 400)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

cheers guys for all your advice....you have helped to narrow down my choice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Nike make fine clubs. The only thing I would add for now is to forget the driver until your confidence builds up. I'd get a 2nd hand set of irons and then add maybe a hybrid for the 4 iron.

A good half set of irons would be much better than a budget full set.

cheers stockdam, yeah i was going to get some hybrids...was never too hot with the 3 or 4...hit my old driver at the range a few days ago,hit it better than i used to(i did get a lesson last week though which helped)...got some confidence back...thinking of getting a driver but keeping it in the bag and use a 3 wood off the tee until i get more confident...
    some of the nikes i was looking at had some hybrid included instead of the 3 and the 4 iron...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Have you looked at these? Just so everyone knows i've nothing to do with selling them.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=136752&cpage=2#poststart

Seems if you offer 575 you'd get the lot, just make sure they are real. Also seen two very good starter iron sets for circa 250. I have the callaway irons very good for 20 handicappers like myself.

cheers anxious...i would wonder if they are real or not...i swung the x 20's in a shop before but wasn't mad on them...but cheers for replying nonetheless...want new clubs also as i want to get hem custom fitted....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Baz 46

The new Mizuno MP58's look class if you haven't bought yet. Check out their handicap guide on line if unsure what set to buy. I'm going to switch back to Mizuno blades from Ping I5 as soon as those 58's arrive. You can't beat Mizuno for feel. 7 handicap.

i'd say i'd be more of a mizuno mx 100 or 200 myself as i'm only getting back into the game....but cheers anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69

Hey,

It seem that you are only interested in the well known brands such as Nike,Mizunos...etc
    This might be of interest to you.I play with the KZG clubs and they are great. I got fitted to match my height,swing speed and what i was looking for in the type of flight i need my ball to go.

Check it out at www.kzg.com . Very forgiving clubs , expensive but well worth it!!!

never heard of them but i'll check 'em out....don't like the sound of the "expensive" part though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69

I think it wasa around €500 for the irons,€300 for the driver and €200 for the hybrids!!!
    I think its well worth a visit!!! Whatever brands you buy, be sure to get custom fitted.
    Last time i went out and asked a sales person about a certain driver, he was clueless and i end up getting the wrong club! Down at the golf shop in Leopardstown :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement