Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home automation - wiring

Options
  • 27-08-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭

I don't think I can justify installing a complete home automation system at the moment (in a new build).

I had already spec'ed cat 6 cables to bedrooms and living areas, back to centralised office room. Is that enough to allow for future installation or should I be doing more in terms of preparatory wiring?

Electrician only started this week - I'll be talking to him about it tomorrow but would like to get some comments / suggestions from here too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

It totally depends on what you want to do...
    What do you want to control and automate???

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭ablelocks

not too sure what I'd want to be honest - if i do go down that road it won't be for a couple of years. I s'spose at a minimum, audio visual and lighting but I'd like the capability to upgrade if required.

As you've probably guessed, I haven't put much thought or research into home automation but my thinking is that it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to install the wiring now while we're building.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

as Mike2006 says its difficult to say without knowing your system.

however running a CAT 6 cable to the light switches and back to the central CAt 6 point would be handy for potential control points., I would also ask that the electrician brought neutral and earth cables to the switch points (leaving the neutral in a connector block at the back of the box, that way you would have power and control at each lighting point this may save messy work later on.

also dont forget plenty of sat cables from your main TV point (4 number) and 4 cat 6 points from here too ( HDMI can be sent over CATs cables but it requires 2 for some systems)

You can get the cables in but not terminated to save money.

think of speaker points too, as in where you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

i am in a similar position, i want to be able to distribute music and video to the whole house, but dont have a bog where or how to start, i have done all my drawings myself and would like to do a cable layout for it, but not sure how to?
    can i just wire speakers in each room back to main control in kitchen? prob want 4 zone system, is there any cheap way of doin it?

cheers any info much appreciated.

Advertisement