Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Courses

Options
  • 27-08-2009 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there, New enough to the area and am wondering if the local secondary school runs evening courses or the like? Does anyone know where I would find out about it - tried googling but didnt really get the results that I was hoping for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Check out the local VEC centres. Where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 benji1

In Portlaoise - meant to mention that in the original post - I thought there might be new courses starting this time of the year . Thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

A lot of the evening classes are at Portlaoise Senior College just off the Mountrath Road. I just checked their website but they haven't got the autumn schedule posted yet. Here's the link as it will give you an idea of the courses they offered in the past year although they are all subject to demand

http://www.portlaoisecollege.ie/eveningclasses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Rang Portlaoise college about this earlier today actually. The woman I spoke to said the courses offered should be finalised in the next two weeks and then published in the local media.

Fingers crossed for Pottery/Ceramics. Did a course in Dunamaise cause the college wasn't running it in the spring term. Turned out the pregnant pottery teacher was the usual teacher for the college, but couldn't do it that time what with being pregnant. So I'm hoping she's back again. She was very good IMO and I'd like to try a longer course. The Dunamaise one was only 6 weeks and had 3 different teachers so lacked a bit of cohesion :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 User21027

Moved to Co Laois 14 yrs ago- living in Mountrath 2 yrs. Seems like Laois has never heard of "Tinternet". Nothing ever comes up in Google for it. Check Fás etc for things like courses. Good luck. :)

• Advertisement

Portlaoise College has the updated details on their site now. Enrollment Monday 21st Sept

;)

And huzzah! They have ceramics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Registration on a Monday and start date on a Monday, but I presume classes are spread over different nights of the week. Will they be able to tell us at registration what nights each is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

ooh, excellent, i might sign up to an evening course so.

Kenteach wrote: »
    Registration on a Monday and start date on a Monday, but I presume classes are spread over different nights of the week. Will they be able to tell us at registration what nights each is on?

If I recall rightly from the last term, they give you all the course specific details at the enrollment time. ie night its on, time etc. Last time we got a supply list from the art lady so we could get everything we needed in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flyaway

I did one down in Tipperary Institute (www.tippinst.ie) even more do-able now with the motorway. Was great one nite a week cause loads a courses on and loads a people/great buz, the other nite we were the only course in and a bit dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

fona wrote: »
    If I recall rightly from the last term, they give you all the course specific details at the enrollment time. ie night its on, time etc. Last time we got a supply list from the art lady so we could get everything we needed in advance.

So you dont book a place until the first night? is this the case? Is email the only way to get further information about the courses before enrolment night?

Advertisement