Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablesaw!

Options
  • 27-08-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I need a small tablesaw (ie- a portable saw, not a full size workshop saw) for a few days and was wondering can i rent one in Limerick/Clare area or will I have to buy one? The couple of places i tried, can't help. I know i can buy a cheap one for probably about the same as i would pay to rent one but I imagine a rented one would be of better quality and I might even manage to get some of my cuts square. :D I imagine buying a cheap saw would be, pretty much, a waste of money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Gun Monkey wrote: »
    I imagine buying a cheap saw would be, pretty much, a waste of money!

Cant help you with renting a saw, but I do agree with the above statement! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Some Hire places may be able to hire out a "Contractor's saw" but you might find these pretty rough and ready- they are designed for hard usage on a site afterall. If the worst came to the worst you could buy a small portable saw, fall in love with it or alternatively sell it on when you're done with it! Your loss on the sale would probably amount to the amount you would pay to hire out a saw anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Where are you looking to make square cuts?

Bench saws are great for long straight cuts in planks and sheet materials but often crap for square cuts when cutting timber to length. So if you are looking for square cuts in lenghts of timber for say timber framing, building a shed etc a Dewalt chop saw (mitre saw) on a stand might be a better option.

Another option would be to get a good portable circular saw ("skil saw"), fit a decent blade and make up a sawing jig with "sacrifical" MDF base; I'm sure I've seen lots of similar set ups somewhere on the net; google is your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

As you suspected, I want it for making long parallel cuts in sheet material, or at least pieces of sheet material. Doubt there would be much point trying to cut an 8x4 sheet on the size of saw i'm talking about. I already have a pretty good chop saw but it's not suitable for the cuts I want to make. Thanks for the interest guys.:)

• Advertisement

Guin Monkey, here's one link to show what I mean:

http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-saw-cutting-guide.html

Make a good one of these and you'll have it for years, you can store it in the rafters when you're done. If well made and used properly this set up will give great results from a portable saw and is safe and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Have a circular saw too, that's a serious option if there isn't a table saw availabe for hire somewhere. Would still prefer to hire a half decent saw for few days though. Looks increasingly unlikely though! Thanks!:D

Advertisement