Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And Fedor Emelianenko's first fight in Strikeforce will be against .......

Options
  • 27-08-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

It’s official, Fedor Emelianenko will face off with undefeated knockout artist Brett Rogers in his Strikeforce debut.

The news was recently confirmed through Showtime, and although no location or exact date has been pinned down at this time the bout is expected to take place during an event in Fall.

The bout will be Fedor’s first since knocking Andrei Arlovski senseless during “Affliction: Day Of Reckoning” in January of this year. He had been scheduled to face off with Josh Barnett on August 1 before Barnett tested positive for steroids, and the “Affliction: Trilogy” event crumpled shortly thereafter.

Widely considered to be the best fighter on the planet by fellow mixed martial artists and fans alike, Fedor sports a record of 30-1, with the sole loss due to a cut being avenged by merciless beatdown. He has bested dangerous heavyweights such as Heath Herring, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Andrei Arlovski to name just a few.

Rogers boasts an undefeated record of 10-0, with every one of his victories being finished through strikes. At 6′5″, 265 pounds, Rogers is known for his incredible finishing power and killer instinct. Rogers recently stunned critics by leaving former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski in a heap just 22 seconds into their meeting at “Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields” in June.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/08/26/fedor-emelianenko-vs-brett-rogers-set-for-strikeforce/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

wtf is this shít...He should be in UFC :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Fedor by Armbar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

I like Rogers and I hope he knocks him out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OV

Good choice by Strikeforce. Rogers is probably their best known HW to casual fans, after his KO of Arlovski. This lets them build Fedor up a bit, before hopefully arranging Fedor/Overeem (that will be some fight)

I'm not dismissing Rogers btw, he's got heavy hands and KO power, as is evident from his past fights. We've yet to see any real evidence of a ground game though, I'd expect Fedor to take him down if he's in any trouble on the feet and pound him out or submit him

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

This is as good a matchup as could be given to the fans (realistically) for his first fight in Strikeforce. I like it. WAY better (IMHO) than a bout against Werdum. There was no way that they were going to throw him in against Overeem (still recovering with his hand I believe anyway) in his first appearance. They said as much.

Obviously Rogers has extreme power, is 10-0 and is ranked in the top ten, above Carwin for example, who seems to be Lesnar's next opponent.

So, I, for now, am happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

I think this'll prove to be a good fight, i'd love a Rogers upset, but i can only see Fedor winning this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Fedor will take this, I didn't seen Roger on the ground. Fedor by armbar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Rogers is years away from being a legitimate challenge for Fedor. He will get eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Its amazing the way people have turned on Fedor because he decided not to go with the UFC. It needs to be pointed out though that regardless of where he fights, he is still Fedor and will eat Roger for breakfast. Fedor by GNP in round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

OV wrote: »
    Good choice by Strikeforce.

Who else was there? They want Overeem for his third fight and Werdum just fought. I think that Paul Buentello was their only other option

I can't see Rogers having a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Bigger possibility of an upset here than against Werdum.

If Grim holds his nerve and starts swinging, and Fedor sticks to his "beat them at there own game" strategy, who knows how it ends up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

Rogers has a puncher's chance. Fedor's better in all areas of the game. Strikeforce are really throwing Rogers to the dogs here. They could have given him more time to develop before feeding him to Fedor.

Hellsing wrote: »
    Rogers has a puncher's chance. Fedor's better in all areas of the game. Strikeforce are really throwing Rogers to the dogs here. They could have given him more time to develop before feeding him to Fedor.

How much time? Fedor's contract with them could be up before next June and Rogers is one of three heavyweights they have under contract who is known to some degree

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

Fozzy wrote: »
    How much time? Fedor's contract with them could be up before next June and Rogers is one of three heavyweights they have under contract who is known to some degree
    I just think this would have been a better fight down the line, when Rogers has more experience versus top competition. Fedor could have fought a more seasoned HW like Werdum or Overeem.That would be a more competitive fight and then he could face an improved, more experienced Rogers down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fozzy wrote: »
    Who else was there? They want Overeem for his third fight and Werdum just fought. I think that Paul Buentello was their only other option

I can't see Rogers having a chance

I'm pretty sure Paul Buentello resigned with UFC back in the end of July.

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Paul Buentello resigned with UFC back in the end of July.

As of last week he'd signed with no one, he was doing interviews where he said that he was weighing up his options

I'd like to see him in the UFC, his fights are usually enjoyable, as long as his opponent wants to keep it standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mmafan81

Killme00 wrote: »
    Its amazing the way people have turned on Fedor because he decided not to go with the UFC. It needs to be pointed out though that regardless of where he fights, he is still Fedor and will eat Roger for breakfast. Fedor by GNP in round 1.

why is it amazing,he says hes the best(r at least everyone else does) but he wont fight d best,he was always sayin he wanted 2 fight randy yet he gets d oppurtunity and wouldnt do it.personally hav no time 4 him anymore,all about money an not bout being d best,should become a boxer!!!!!!!!!(bit harsh on boxers,sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Fedor says he is a top HW, but refutes that he is the best.

Since he personally would be earning more in the UFC, the issue was not necesairily money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mmafan81

true,his salary would be better in ufc but i heard dana saying co-promotion is what halted the deal which i would assume means more money for fedor,though i'm no expert on the matter.really i'm just frustrated because i want to see him fight the 'best' as i'm sure everyone else does

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Will this be available here?

Rogers has knockout power in the punch. It would be dreadful to see Fedor knocked out by this dude.

That being said:

Advertisement