Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should i switch to Logic

Options
  • 26-08-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Howdy all, PT MPowered user here, i like it but i was looking at the spec for Logic studio 9 and well i was impressed with the spec, seems to offer a lot for the euros involved, is it really that good,is it difficult to use/learn? PT interface kinda annoys me but they kinda made it better in PT8. A former PT user opinion would be nice too. I produce electronica but mainly from hard synths - does logic offer the same quality recording as PT? i also use the odd vst here and there, also itf i switched to logic is it necessary to still use soundforge or is there a tool in logic to do what soundforge does!!!! any opinions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I was a Protools man for years when I decided to switch to logic. Never looked back. Quite literally - I sold my mbox a month later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

JT,actually listened to some of your stuff, quite impressive sound, all done with logic/vst's? do you use hard synths with it? did you find it hard to learn logic, do you need to use a tool like soundforge or does logic do it all for you, cheers

empirix wrote: »
    JT,actually listened to some of your stuff, quite impressive sound, all done with logic/vst's? do you use hard synths with it? did you find it hard to learn logic, do you need to use a tool like soundforge or does logic do it all for you, cheers

eh yeah all done entirely in the box w/logic+ableton apart from a few synth lines that were from my hardware (which I've recently sold).

I use the logic plugs, the UAD stuff and some other bits and pieces. TBH, if you can't get a release quality sound out of logic's inbuilt stuff, you're doing something wrong.

I know EVERY producer harps on about how good logic's plugins are but they really are phenomenal (despite looking like sh1te).

As far as learning curves go, I've used many a DAW to a fairly high level of competency (PT, Cubase, Ableton, Reason, etc.) and I got to grips with Logic the night I got it. Seriously, such an incredibly simple application to use. Best thing about Logic is you only have to know 1% of the program to do whatever you want with it.

And I was a BIG protools fan. But logic really owns when it comes to electronic music.

nice one, i might go with logic express to see and then upgrade if i like!

JT, im gonna go for it and convert over and buy logic studio, can you tell me, is there a tool to chop up samples and rearrange them and then is there a loop player to play them(like dr rex in reason), i have watched demos on youtube and am aware you can slice samples but can you rearrange a sample - maybe this is a stupid question and it means the same thing but ya know just curious, im more a hardware man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

JT, im gonna go for it and convert over and buy logic studio, can you tell me, is there a tool to chop up samples and rearrange them and then is there a loop player to play them(like dr rex in reason), i have watched demos on youtube and am aware you can slice samples but can you rearrange a sample - maybe this is a stupid question and it means the same thing but ya know just curious, im more a hardware man!

You can import rex files into the EXS24 sampler. The slices are mapped out over the keys & the EXS24's "Sample page".

Suppose they are pretty similar now that i think about it, but you cannot just load an audio loop into it.

You could get the scissors & snip away on the main page.. or use Audacity.. then load those samples back into the EXS if you wanted.

If you have recycle.. you could keep using it & have them going through the EXS24.

You can also make your own Apple loops which bring the loop straight in at the tempo of the project.. snip away, rearrange etc.. thats what I normally do if I am using a bit of a loop.

Good choice getting Studio - Space Designer is worth the extra alone. Great reverbs.

ICN wrote: »
    You can import rex files into the EXS24 sampler. The slices are mapped out over the keys & the EXS24's "Sample page".

Suppose they are pretty similar now that i think about it, but you cannot just load an audio loop into it.

You could get the scissors & snip away on the main page.. or use Audacity.. then load those samples back into the EXS if you wanted.

If you have recycle.. you could keep using it & have them going through the EXS24.

You can also make your own Apple loops which bring the loop straight in at the tempo of the project.. snip away, rearrange etc.. thats what I normally do if I am using a bit of a loop.

Good choice getting Studio - Space Designer is worth the extra alone. Great reverbs.

Ah well then thats super, snip away and rearrange, perfect, i have recycle and audacity but i wouldnt bother with them if i can dop that, like to have a few breaks chopped up now and again, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Ah well then thats super, snip away and rearrange, perfect, i have recycle and audacity but i wouldnt bother with them if i can dop that, like to have a few breaks chopped up now and again, cheers

Sound as Mate!

As far as I can remember, there is 2 ways of making an apple loop.

1. On the main arrange page.. select the loop & right click (or some easy menu..) & hit convert to apple loop. It'll load up all the transients for you & find BPM etc..

2. Open Apple Loop Utility.. Which is a seperate program. All you do pretty much is load them in & save as. You can set up whether its drums / musical phrase / hard / noisy etc.. for the catagory feature in the Bin/Loops library.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Logic rules.
    As said previously, it has the least learning curve of any DAW, while having literally EVERYTHING to go from inception of a track right through to a mastered, polished finished tune.
    I had 7, just getting the readies now to get an Intel Mac, with Logic 9 & Komplete 6 to follow. Once you add a decent audio interface to that setup its a pro level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hey all!

I have been offered a Logic 9 upgrade and I was wondering if they have improved the audio editing in the latest version? What improvements are there? Should I be wetting my pants and making a big mess for my Mammy to clean up after I vommit on her?

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    Hey all!

I have been offered a Logic 9 upgrade and I was wondering if they have improved the audio editing in the latest version? What improvements are there? Should I be wetting my pants and making a big mess for my Mammy to clean up after I vommit on her?

i don't think they've changed much in the line of audio editing. Dav you're coming from a PT background yeah?

I know a lot of people (myself included) who made the change and still prefer PT's editing. It's done in an entirely different way in Logic, and I can't see them changing it to be more like Pro tools in the future. It's not better or worse, it's just different.

I've seen lads who were using logic in the emagic days fly through editing stuff in logic, and then find PT sucks for it, so i think it's a case of getting your head round the Logic way for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

jtsuited wrote: »
    i don't think they've changed much in the line of audio editing. Dav you're coming from a PT background yeah?

I know a lot of people (myself included) who made the change and still prefer PT's editing. It's done in an entirely different way in Logic, and I can't see them changing it to be more like Pro tools in the future. It's not better or worse, it's just different.

I've seen lads who were using logic in the emagic days fly through editing stuff in logic, and then find PT sucks for it, so i think it's a case of getting your head round the Logic way for now.

Nice one for the reply, nice to know the score with it anyway. I'll probably upgrade anyway and have a look see :)

dav nagle wrote: »
    Nice one for the reply, nice to know the score with it anyway. I'll probably upgrade anyway and have a look see :)

cool beans man. as far as i could see, Logic 9 is really geared towards guitar players so a noodler like yourself should be able to get loads out of it.

well i just ordered it yesterday so hopefully have it on friday, i thought the new "flex" was supposed to be the business for editing??? anyway i'll find out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Logic 8's audio editor is woefully bad. I used a friend's Pro Tools HD set up and found the audio editing to be much easier, quicker and more precise. On my own set up I use Adobe Audition for audio editing, chopping etc. It's Windows only unfortunately, but the best audio editor I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

splitrmx wrote: »
    Logic 8's audio editor is woefully bad. I used a friend's Pro Tools HD set up and found the audio editing to be much easier, quicker and more precise. On my own set up I use Adobe Audition for audio editing, chopping etc. It's Windows only unfortunately, but the best audio editor I've ever used.

in what way is it woeful?

i never really edit audio so i cant really comment but im pretty sure you can do some nice editing in soundtrack pro that comes with logic,you can even draw in frequency lines in it.

but like i said im not a big editor of audio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I'm still on cooledit 1.2 for small edits and wavelab for big stuffs :) - gotta be best value for money i've had out of software (cooledit) - but is very remedial :)

seannash wrote: »
    in what way is it woeful?
    Adobe Audition (or Cool Edit Pro as it was known before Adobe bought it) is like a surgical blade, you can slice and dice down to exact samples of audio, you can physically move the sample points up and down, place anchor points that the mouse pointer will snap to etc.

Logic's audio editing is like a sledgehammer. You can't even see the sample points, never mind change them. OSX in general doesn't have a wav editor as good as Adobe Audition, Bias Peak would be the nearest thing to it, but I still don't find it as good.

Adobe Audition (or Cool Edit Pro as it was known before Adobe bought it) is like a surgical blade, you can slice and dice down to exact samples of audio, you can physically move the sample points up and down, place anchor points that the mouse pointer will snap to etc.

Logic's audio editing is like a sledgehammer. You can't even see the sample points, never mind change them. OSX in general doesn't have a wav editor as good as Adobe Audition, Bias Peak would be the nearest thing to it, but I still don't find it as good.
    so is soundtrack pro no good?

seannash wrote: »
    so is soundtrack pro no good?
    I haven't used it since I reinstalled everything on my Macbook, so can't give a proper review at the moment. I'll install it again when I get a chance but I don't remember liking it that much. I'm very biased towards Adobe Audition though so my opinion should be taken with 1024 samples of salt at 24bits.

• Advertisement

I haven't used it since I reinstalled everything on my Macbook, so can't give a proper review at the moment. I'll install it again when I get a chance but I don't remember liking it that much. I'm very biased towards Adobe Audition though so my opinion should be taken with 1024 samples of salt at 24bits.

cool

like i said i dont do much audio editing but from the videos ive see of soundtrack pro it looks decent but im not actually sure what constitutes a great audio editor:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭freddyf

I was using ProTools LE for a couple of years and finaly changed to logic at the start of this year and it is the best thing i have ever done.

Cutting up audio i found was better in protools, The whole layout was easyer and quicker. If you wanna do something you just press a button and it does it, logic was a bit harder to get my head around. But the errors in PT were killing me. Even when i upgraded my systems the errors would keep coming. I bought arturia synths and they would lock up the computer and then a restart was called for. If i tried to use the eq when the track was playing it would lock up, I felt like i spent more time on PT forums entering error codes than i did using the program. It would work fine with a few audio chanels but when it was time to load it up with more audio and synths it would drop to its knees and spit out a 2020 code. If i had the money to buy a HD system this probably wouldnt happen.

But rant over. Logic has made my life stress free, You should buy it.

freddyf wrote: »
    I was using ProTools LE for a couple of years and finaly changed to logic at the start of this year and it is the best thing i have ever done.

Cutting up audio i found was better in protools, The whole layout was easyer and quicker. If you wanna do something you just press a button and it does it, logic was a bit harder to get my head around. But the errors in PT were killing me. Even when i upgraded my systems the errors would keep coming. I bought arturia synths and they would lock up the computer and then a restart was called for. If i tried to use the eq when the track was playing it would lock up, I felt like i spent more time on PT forums entering error codes than i did using the program. It would work fine with a few audio chanels but when it was time to load it up with more audio and synths it would drop to its knees and spit out a 2020 code. If i had the money to buy a HD system this probably wouldnt happen.

But rant over. Logic has made my life stress free, You should buy it.
    I pretty much had the exact same experience. using the arturia stuff with ptle was just a headache too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭freddyf

The only Synths I ever got working were spectrasonics trilogy and atmosphere. When I loaded up Omnisphere it locked up on me.

The same Macbook pro but using logic. All the synths are working great and I can have 3 x Omnispheres 3 x Arturia and a couple of the logic synths in a session and it doesn't even break a sweat.

I always got the same compatibilty reply from protools, But from what I seen with protools when it comes to soft synths nothing is compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

jtsuited wrote: »
    eh yeah all done entirely in the box w/logic+ableton apart from a few synth lines that were from my hardware (which I've recently sold).

I use the logic plugs, the UAD stuff and some other bits and pieces. TBH, if you can't get a release quality sound out of logic's inbuilt stuff, you're doing something wrong.

I know EVERY producer harps on about how good logic's plugins are but they really are phenomenal (despite looking like sh1te).

Interesting. I haven't used logic. How would you size up pro tools plugins vs. logic? Are pro tools plugins not phenomenal aswell?

I have an m-audio soundcard and a demo of pro tools - really need to give that a go one of the days.

Interesting. I haven't used logic. How would you size up pro tools plugins vs. logic? Are pro tools plugins not phenomenal aswell?

I have an m-audio soundcard and a demo of pro tools - really need to give that a go one of the days.

i have pro tools 8 m powered for sale for 200 if your interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

i have pro tools 8 m powered for sale for 200 if your interested

I'd say you'd have it sold by the time I have the money to buy it from you. Money is all tied up for the next few months putting together a proper studio.

Not to say that pro tools woudn't be an addition of course - It's just that I'll have to stick with ableton for the time being.

agreed after a few weeks of use - editing sucks balls in logic

Advertisement