Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic & Anxiety

Options
  • 26-08-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a therapist working with people who suffer from Panic Disorder and Anxiety attacks and have a good success rate. I have been thinking for some time about helping people over the net by setting up some kind of website. Most of the websites I've seen in this area are American trash which start by telling you about wonderful ways to help with your problem and eventually end by trying to sell you some crap book or supplements.

I think there is a need for a genuine site whereby Irish people with panic or anxiety disorders can share experiences and get advice without being ripped off.

Do any sufferers out there agree with this idea?? Serious replies only please, this is not a fun problem to have for those who suffer from these conditions

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

All postgrads are calm, noble, relaxed types at one with themselves...never panicked or anxious...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭black123

I think its a great idea. A help page for family and friends would be good to

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

yes also think would be a very good idea . the net is full of gobligook rubbish about quick fixes - people need to understand what and how to get to the root of the problem instead of looking for a quick fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Medo_

but why just for Irish people, you can make it for everyone over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya can help me if ya want. Panic and anxiety for over half me life. General life anxiety like, not a phase. Lemme know bout site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

Firstly thanks for the ideas and encouragement, as to the question "but why just for Irish people" thats exactly the issue. Most sites are US based ful of stuff that they want you to buy, books, supplements etc. and are full of US jargon and BS. An Irish site could make people more relaxed if they felt that they were talking to an Irish person with a knowledge of Irish culture, the Irish medical world and medications available in Ireland via your local GP if needed. They could also be directed to suitable Therapists in their area while not being under pressure to buy any junk "quick fixes".

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

S

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Moving to psychology - mods feel free to move elsewhere. This has nothing to do with postgrads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gogsy

u should check out http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/index.html

An amazing "British" site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

gogsy wrote: »
    u should check out http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/index.html

An amazing "British" site

"Learn how to treat phobias and trauma (PTSD) in a single session with live conference calls inside our unique Knowledge Lab."

This gave me a lol.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Something on Ian Dempsey this morning about a new website www.turn2me.ie launching today ... for Irish people with depression and anxiety. Forum based. Haven't looked yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gogsy

Valmont wrote: »
    "Learn how to treat phobias and trauma (PTSD) in a single session with live conference calls inside our unique Knowledge Lab."

This gave me a lol.

They used to a panic prevention programme which was free. Mark Tyrell I think was the guy who coordinated it. I found it so useful. I also bought a cd from them afterwards which is excellent. When I lost it, I contacted them and told them I lost it and they sent me another one for free.

The forums are very good there.

I know that statement deserves a sneer but there are a lot of useful things there too. It is easy to point out the negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭sachamama

There's a crowd in the UK called nopanic and they have a website too, its more along the lines of what Irish people would relate to, as opposed to USA audience. I think nopanic have a base in Ireland as well, might be worth seeing what they have already before you start a website yourself.

I'm just wondering, what you want to get out of this website? is it to promote your business or just for the general good?

Thanks for the website details Sach,

My only purpose here is for the general good of people suffering from Panic Disorder, I have a very busy practice but I am not on here to promote or advertise anything.

Thanks for your help.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 saffron83

hi there,

Im wondering could anyone point me in the right direction in relation to help regarding Anxiety Disorders.

In the last 9 months, i have become more and more anxious and worrying about every single little thing. I came to a stage where I feel like me anymore, and couldnt get out of the bed for 3 days!!! I really dont know where all this anxiety is coming from. The doctor prescribed me some pills, but i was reluctant to take them, i would rather go down the route of cognitive therapy, and I am wondering are there any therapists or doctors or whatever u want to call them, in the north dublin/meath area??? Preferably female, but any information/details would be greatly appreciated.
    Anyone who feels they can relate to my situation, I would like to hear about it some more.

Saffron,

It sounds like you are suffering from xxxxxxxxxxxx and the best treatment, in my view is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). To get a registered and fully qualified therapist visit the Psychological Society of Ireland website (www.psychologicalsociety.ie) and you can locate a qualified member by area on their database. Try to pick a Clinical Psychology therapist but make sure you call them first and ask them if they practice CBT for panic and anxiety disorders.

Hope this is helpful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Stanford did you ever get a chance to set up your website? Best of luck with it and I think it is a great idea.

BTW, I find these videos very helpful for anxiety. Just click thru on the video for parts 2 and 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I have known plenty of people who have suffered from panic attacks at sometime or another,myself included. So yes, it would be great if you could set up a website with a forum and info resource centre for people who suffer from panic attacks, OP.

Many thanks Finbarr01 for your encouragement. I never did get the time to set up the site but I still believe that such a resource is needed. Thanks for the video links. Take care.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 saffron83

hey s

sorry for the late reply, but i thought i was doing better, but unfort im starting to slip back into the over anxious and worrying person again. thanks for the website suggestion, i found a couple of names on there, that im thinking of getting in contact with next week. Best of luck with ur website, i think its a great idea, just to get pple talking!!

Thanks again S.

Saffron,

I would encourage you to make contact with someone you have found and start the process but make sure you establish that they practice Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. In the meantime the best short term treatment for when you feel anxious is to distract yourself by doing something like reading a book or watching TV, anxiety only gets a grip on you if you focus on it so distraction will help, also try to get some exercise in daylight like taking a walk or whatever form of exercise you normally take -try to get out in daylight if possible. Try to eat fresh healthy non-processed food like fruit and steamed vegetables also.

Take care and let me know how you get on.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

We can not give advice in this forum.

For advice on finding a therapist, including CBT therapists, please see the sticky above on "How to find a counsellor". CBT therapists often work for the HSE and can be seen free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

saffron83 wrote: »
    hi there,

Im wondering could anyone point me in the right direction in relation to help regarding Anxiety Disorders.

In the last 9 months, i have become more and more anxious and worrying about every single little thing. I came to a stage where I feel like me anymore, and couldnt get out of the bed for 3 days!!! I really dont know where all this anxiety is coming from. The doctor prescribed me some pills, but i was reluctant to take them, i would rather go down the route of cognitive therapy, and I am wondering are there any therapists or doctors or whatever u want to call them, in the north dublin/meath area??? Preferably female, but any information/details would be greatly appreciated.
    Anyone who feels they can relate to my situation, I would like to hear about it some more.

Hey I had a problem with Anxiety, would say it was pretty serious for about 3 months and took really 6 - 9 months for me to bounce back. Went to doc, she explained that number 1. I was fine, there was physically nothing wrong with me. Which made me feel a lot better. She went on to tell me that is sounds like a PTSD, which looking back was what it was. My issue was, I could not work out why I was feeling like this. I mean it happened a lot when I was either asleep or going to sleep, my body just seem to freak out. For me it did not seem like it was something in my head it was an actual physical thing that was happening to me. I remember one time I felt like I could not consentrate on a single through and my brain was going a million miles a second and I could not get it to slow down. I would say I go to the point I was so fed up with it I took a "F##k it " approach. What I mean by this was, I did not let it stop me doing things I wanted to do, if anything I pushed myself into situation. I almost learnt to ignore the physical feelings of anxiety and from that they simply seem to dissapear... They only way I can describe it is, anxiety is the bodys way of dealing with something, but it is almost like you're body learns a new trick, it's not nice but once it learns it you cannot unlearn it.. I do not think that it goes away but you learn to deal with it so it does not effect you're life. Sometimes you need to ride the storm and believe that better days will follow. Stay positive and I wish you all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm trying to find someone in the Dublin area who can help me with anxiety and stuff. My doctor has suggested I talk to a psychologist and while I've asked around for how/where to track one down in Dublin, I haven't had a great amount of success finding one that I think is suitable.

My doctor has suggested CBT. I'm mainly having issues around anxiety and panic attacks. The panic attacks aren't out of control, but I can start to get really nervous and fidgety and restless and if I'm in a room I just have to get out of it. I've also developed this thing where I feel like I can't drink in certain public situations as I feel like I'm going to choke. I can feel my throat tighten up and I can't relax.

Some sort of definitive website about where to go and who to see and what to expect would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Sound slike a massive amount of anxiety in which you are so aware of your actions in relation to others that it becomes too intense especially in crowds.Well that is also who i was 2 months ago.
    I think a thread on parts therapy was intersting in relation to this topic.
    In a way i did too think of my depression and unmotivated personality as seperate from the new one i am living now.Its easier for me then to make a distinction between the two and i can more easily now notice i am slipping into depresso mode and instantly remember to be the other guy who is loving life and going out doing stuff that i would never have done before.

Ive said before in another tread how i read an article about a medical study of the brain and in it was a statement that the brain creates memories by the use of creases in the tissue.So i visualise now my thinking patterns and habits as creases and my depresso personality had about 10 years to ingrain that thought pattern into creases.Now i can easier visualise changing my thinking patterns by remembering and visualising my new thought patterns forcing new creases to form so i can habitually think the new way and eventually it will i hope ingrain over the next 10 years to create who i want to be in the future.

I think sometimes diffrent people need different approaches totally depending on how they think.
    My thinking is nearly all visual and my memory to so that was probably perfect for me to help me instigate the change i needed.
    Someone who is more into music may find a different method or someone with strong analytical skills might need a step by step process of learning of themselves.Just what i think/experienced and might not be true to everyone.
    But i still find it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm trying to find someone in the Dublin area who can help me with anxiety and stuff. My doctor has suggested I talk to a psychologist and while I've asked around for how/where to track one down in Dublin, I haven't had a great amount of success finding one that I think is suitable.

My doctor has suggested CBT. I'm mainly having issues around anxiety and panic attacks. The panic attacks aren't out of control, but I can start to get really nervous and fidgety and restless and if I'm in a room I just have to get out of it. I've also developed this thing where I feel like I can't drink in certain public situations as I feel like I'm going to choke. I can feel my throat tighten up and I can't relax.

Some sort of definitive website about where to go and who to see and what to expect would be good.

What I would suggest is you have a look at you local directory, you know the stuff that comes though the letter box on various community projects and see if the is a local counselling/psychotherapy service in your area. If you are ok with it post your area and we will see if we can find one near you.

You could ask your GP to refer you to your local Psych services. Most people here will try to help you local a service, but that is as far as we can go. It would be unethical and unprofessional for us to offer you advice.

Be careful about using the net, sites that allow advice can be iffy, if you want to try that road, how about posting in the personal issues forum?

You say you can find one that is suitable, can I ask what criteria you are using to see if the person is suitable? I don't know what way it is for you, but some people think therapy is about having a chat, it's not. We are not a friend either, whilst the therapeutic relationship is significant no matter what type of therapy you use, some people have strange ideas as to what it consists of. As I said I do not know what way it is with you, which is why I'm asking.

Finally it’s a small point, but there is nothing definitive when it come to mental health issues. Best of luck with it

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Everyone, please remember this forum cannot give advice. If you want advice go to Personal Issues. If you are looking for a counsellor, look at the sticky on this forum.

I'm serious. So the warning is in bold.

Torakx wrote: »
    Sound slike a massive amount of anxiety in which you are so aware of your actions in relation to others that it becomes too intense especially in crowds.Well that is also who i was 2 months ago.
    I think a thread on parts therapy was intersting in relation to this topic.
    In a way i did too think of my depression and unmotivated personality as seperate from the new one i am living now.Its easier for me then to make a distinction between the two and i can more easily now notice i am slipping into depresso mode and instantly remember to be the other guy who is loving life and going out doing stuff that i would never have done before.

Ive said before in another tread how i read an article about a medical study of the brain and in it was a statement that the brain creates memories by the use of creases in the tissue.So i visualise now my thinking patterns and habits as creases and my depresso personality had about 10 years to ingrain that thought pattern into creases.Now i can easier visualise changing my thinking patterns by remembering and visualising my new thought patterns forcing new creases to form so i can habitually think the new way and eventually it will i hope ingrain over the next 10 years to create who i want to be in the future.

I think sometimes diffrent people need different approaches totally depending on how they think.
    My thinking is nearly all visual and my memory to so that was probably perfect for me to help me instigate the change i needed.
    Someone who is more into music may find a different method or someone with strong analytical skills might need a step by step process of learning of themselves.Just what i think/experienced and might not be true to everyone.
    But i still find it interesting!

Torakx, I think you are entering the area of personal advice here, using your personal experience. That type of post is more suited to PI, I'm not givung you a warning or anything like that. I am asking you to think before you poist and ask the question are you giving personal advice. The nearest we get to that is maybe discussing a issue in a general manner as opposed to a person one; if you get my point.

You are welcome here, and you certainly have an interest in psychology in general, I would just ask you to think about the personal advice, we take this position about personal advise for a reason, and a very important one. It can be danerous, we know nothing about the person asking, so in some cases it can be dangerous. Feel free to PM me about this if you feel the need.

Everyone, please remember this forum cannot give advice. If you want advice go to Personal Issues. If you are looking for a counsellor, look at the sticky on this forum.

I'm serious. So the warning is in bold.

Sorry JC, you must have posted whilst I was writing my own post. However, peoiple please this is an important point, I know most people don't offer advice, but those who do it needs to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

My GP is in the north and I live in Dublin so it's not really possible for him to recommend me someone here. I guess I could get him to recommend me to one in the north but that would be impractical with me working and living down here.

I don't know much about psychology and the various types. He has suggested CBT so someone who practices that (and is qualified to do so) would be what I'm after. Also someone who can work on anxiety/panic and self esteem and confidence issues would be good.

I do have one question. I've seen some people on that PSI side listed as a psychologist and others as a clinical psychologist. What's the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I do have one question. I've seen some people on that PSI side listed as a psychologist and others as a clinical psychologist. What's the difference?

There are different types of psychologist - academic researchers, clinical psychologists, counselling psychologist, educational psychologists etc.

A clinical psychologist is trained to worked with mental disorders, however for the kind of thing you are talking about counselling psychologists would likely do as well (counselling psychologists focus less on the extremes of psychopathology).

Any clinical or counselling psychologist who does CBT will be trained to work with anxiety disorders in general and panic in particular.

Use the psi site for finding a clinical or counselling psychologist close to the area you wish, check that they take private work and give a ring to see if they provide CBT for what you want. There's a decent chance that you may have to leave a message with your details and they will get back to you, just to be prepared.

You sound like you know the site, but here's the search function:
    http://www.psychologicalsociety.ie/find-a-psychologist/index.html

Advertisement