Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music [HL]

Options
  • 26-08-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi

I'm going into 5th year now and I've picked music as one of my subjects.
    I started playing the violin 5 months ago so i was just wondering if I would be of a high enough standard to get a good grade by the time of my practical [April 2011]

I did music for the Junior Cert and got a B [i played the tinwhistle for that!]

and i am taking lessons every week for the violin!

also could anyone reccommend some pieces that would be ideal for the practical

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

taylorisme wrote: »
    hi

I'm going into 5th year now and I've picked music as one of my subjects.
    I started playing the violin 5 months ago so i was just wondering if I would be of a high enough standard to get a good grade by the time of my practical [April 2011]

I did music for the Junior Cert and got a B [i played the tinwhistle for that!]

and i am taking lessons every week for the violin!

also could anyone reccommend some pieces that would be ideal for the practical

thank you

Are you doing grades for the violin? The syllabus says you're supposed to be Grade V standard or higher if you're playing a classical instrument. Of course, if you're learning Trad, that doesn't apply...

I'll get back to you on the pieces... Haven't played the violin in quite a while :o The most important thing is to pick a variety of pieces - contrast is a good thing for the Practical. They don't mark the Practical very hard - the written paper is the tough bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Your teacher is really the best person to ask. I took up Music in 5th year with only a couple of years' guitar playing and no experience of reading music. The teacher asked me to bring it in at the end of TY and play a piece or two before he agreed to let me into the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 justsayit

I've been playing for 13 years. I've finished my grades, and intend to do my entire practical on violin.
    To be honest, I'm not sure you'll be able to play up to the standard leaving cert. requires by the time the practical comes around.
    leaving cert. music is graded as if you have taken up the instrument in 1st year.

that said, i'm sure your teacher will be best able to decide whether or not they think you're ready for it.

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

justsayit wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not sure you'll be able to play up to the standard leaving cert. requires by the time the practical comes around.
    leaving cert. music is graded as if you have taken up the instrument in 1st year.

Thats complete bull. There is no 'set standard' so to speak for leaving cert music, its all about how well you perform the pieces you play. I went into 6th year with no idea what I was going to play and eventually decided to sing about month before the practicals having never ever sang before. I was by no means a great singer but I sang simple, contrasting pieces which I knew I could sing quite well and ended up getting a high enough mark.

As for your question, just pick four pieces that you can play well and are of a decent standard. Try to make them contrast, eg two fast and two slow or songs of different genres. Good luck anyways!

Advertisement