Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundoran / Sligo This weekend 29th-30th

Options
  • 26-08-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Headed up and west this weekend, packing a tent, a girlfriend and two boards.

Anyone else headed up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Planning the same. Looking at lahinch. Tent or a hostel if its too wet. I don't have boards and wetsuits so looking for a school or shop that will rent them for the friday and sat. Heading up tomorrow night.

Having a row with yer wan though so it might be called off... Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

A good few spots round lahinch do rentals, the lahinch hostel (right by the ocean is a good spot if you have gear, showers / board room and gear to wash your suit etc) but if your renting a board you can go to any other hosel and not have to worry about washing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Lots of new guys now renting in Lahinch, so prices are becoming a little more competitive (about time too)
    I would recommend Ben's Clinic if you have had a few lessons
    and feel your stalled at your progression-he's very patient and thorough.
    Enjoy

The gf will need a lesson or 2 as she's never done it before, I'll probably only join her for the first one so shes not on her own, any recommendations for a school for a few lessons on fri and sat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

i think i'll be heading up to enniscronne on friday at 1pm - or try achill - just wondering if anyone from around galway was going to do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Freckleina

jkl wrote: »
    Headed up and west this weekend, packing a tent, a girlfriend and two boards.

Anyone else headed up?

The Warriors Run is on this weekend in Strandhill so Strandhill will certainly be good craic.

warriors run ? enlighten me please...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Freckleina

Its a 15km run from The Strand Bar in Strandhill up Knocknarea Mt to Queen Maebh's tomb and back down again. Havent done it yet, but planning to next year. Entries are closed now I think for this year anyway.

i can barely run half a mile anyways so no problems - really :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

friday and saturday look like they will be totally blown out, wouldn't bother even trying to surf those days

• Advertisement

Called into OceanView Surf school on friday, said that they had a lesson at 9 and again at 3 on saturday. Asked for a lesson for 2 (me and gf) in the morning at 9, and rental at 3. Said ok and they would call me back either 15 minutes or before the shop closes. No sign of them calling back so called round to the shop the following morning at 8.30, no sign of them, shop was closed. Went back to the hostel, got packed up and showered and then start loading the stuff into the car. They were loading boards into the van, bunch of students all suited up ready to go for the 9 oclock lesson.

Very dissapointed, and ended up not surfing, as everywhere else was booked out, with the overflow from the friday.

In BundoranSurf Co. they charge 30-35 for a lesson (if you stay with them in the lodge its cheaper), and 20 rental board and suit for the day, this place was looking for same for lessons and 20 for a 2 hr rental. For any beginners out there i'd advise bundoran and bundoran surf co. in particular if you have a choice between the 2 locations.

Needless to say, won't be going back to OceanView Surf school for a while or Lahinch for that matter until I've got my own gear.

I was told before that lahinch is very wham bam thank you mam, and didnt take it seriously, but thats the impression I have gotten. Also, the water looked a bit manky, like cappucino foam...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Also, the water looked a bit manky, like cappucino foam...

The Inagh river flows into Liscannor bay at the NE corner [end of LA beach] and recently all we have had is RAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Got out on Rosnowlagh saturday, was very small, but enough for a beginner like me to try remember how to turn.

Sunday was great, early session on Tullan, some great waves a little messy.

Stopped off in strandhill in the evening to have a quick look ended up staying for a few hours, short break but great, super clean.

i end up going to achill - great time but around 5ish died completely and end up breaking evenly... but 2 or 3 really good waves so worth the trip

: )

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

Rossnowlagh on Saturday was v.messy and sunday was a flat... Thats how far as I got...

dave, how much is accommodation around that area?

want to try bundoran (and maybe get a custom shaped surfboard but i need to stay there for the weekend - drive from galway up and surf and then drive back seem a bit like overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

Turf n Surf (http://www.turfnsurf.ie/)do hostel accomodation (lessons and accomodation)as do Bundoran Surf Company.. Rossnowlagh has a hostel, but never stayed in it tbh, there is a few B&B around also http://www.rossnowlaghsurf.com/ do a lodge accomodation is a great location up on the cliffs beside the smugglers creek..

just checked finmccools surf school they have accomodation list near ross..http://www.finmccoolsurfschool.com/accommodation-2/

Hope this helps, North Donegal/Inishowen also has great surf and you usually have the whole beach to yourself :)

tempting tempting - my cousin and a few will be traveling here next year - since i'm back to bodyboard/surf i've to try all this to know where to take them :)

Advertisement