Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bic 7'9" pack for under €290

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

Yeah, make sure to ring round the irish surf schools cos i hear some are selling natural surf's with leash and wax for under 300. Iv always given out that irish businesses in general charge way to much but At that price its worth supporting local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 josie80

Seen this deal and was considering it my self. Has anyone ordered through them before, are they reliable ?? I agree i'd rather support Irish business but i was quoted €390 for the same deal in Dublin and €320 for board and leash in Bundoran !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

they're frequently referred to on this site
    i've no direct experience of them tho
    looks like a good deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

josie80 wrote: »
    Seen this deal and was considering it my self. Has anyone ordered through them before, are they reliable ?
    You can be lucky or unlucky. Its not unknown for them to pack everything correctly, or for a board to arrived a bit dinged. When buying from abroad you pay your money and take your chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FPAON

I have used them recently for some stuff - looked around alot of local places but they just couldn't compete. You also get 10% off with the code King1 (came across this on another post on here)

• Advertisement

They don't give the 10% discount on surfboards/kayaks as the delivery is free but they do on wetsuits/boots and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

I've got a good bit of stuff off them including boards and the stuff has come 100% mint,they forgot to put a leash in alrite once but thats it. Good place to get stuff I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

I bought a wetsuit off them recently, the price was at least 100 cheaper than in any shop i looked in so there was no competition.

However, they didnt tell me that the wetsuit i wanted was out of stock when i paid for it so when i tracked the order a few days later i found out for the first time that it wasnt in stock. I sent 2 mails to them about it and i got no reply. it arrived anyway about a week after it should have. It didnt make any difference to me this time thankfully but if i had wanted one before heading off on a trip i would have been way more pissed off.

perhaps you should have checked the in stock / out of stock indicator when purchasing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Shane_O wrote: »
    I've got a good bit of stuff off them including boards and the stuff has come 100% mint,they forgot to put a leash in alrite once but thats it.

They forgot to put something in a box for me once too , yet they still charged for it. And the board arrived a bit dinged, ( not surprising I suppose because of all the different vans / handling the board must have come through since the UK warehouse ), which they did not want to know about. Plus the amount charged on the credit card was higher to that on their euro calculator ...only by about 3% but still , it all adds up. It would have been cheaper to buy the board + accessories in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FPAON

I thought the 10% applied to everything - I haven't bought a board from them but for other things I did buy it worked.

Apparently not boards & kayaks as the delivery is free !!! Just got my board today, ordered it on thursday, no dings, nothing missing, now all i need is to head off and find me some waves as I haven't been out in two weeks.....

what did ya get?

Just got a 7"9 bic, had a bic 7"3 but i wasn't getting up enough so figured a bigger board might help as i had a go of the b/f 8"4 and was able to get up everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

PjC wrote: »
    Yeah, make sure to ring round the irish surf schools cos i hear some are selling natural surf's with leash and wax for under 300. Iv always given out that irish businesses in general charge way to much but At that price its worth supporting local business.

I agree, when some Irish shops are selling the board, leash wax + fins for under 300 euro why support shops in England ? Why not keep your vat and money circulating in Ireland...if everyone bought their boards abroad where will you rush to the day there are good waves and you need a new leash, wax or fin ?

if someone wants to identify such a shop that would be great but any of the ones i've been to are quoting prices way over
    €330 is the best i've heard
    thats 50 euros for what is a relatively straightforward board/purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

Another member off here gave me the name of a shop over west, il route it out later for u! Although, they will prob charge you delivery which is gonna bring the price up.

Also about the irish shops, its not really their fault in any way. Just so people dont think im anti irish! Its just we have higher running costs and less of a market than the uk, hence why their stuff is cheaper. Which is a pity for irish surf shops

bic board, leash wax + fins for under 300...
    if someone wants to identify such a shop that would be great

Sunset in Sligo have them in stock for 295 euro. www.sunset.ie
    A few other Bic surf stockists on the west coast sell them for that sort of money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

From my understanding kingofthewatersports is using the bic package to get people on to there website, its a lost leader and irish shops could not sell that board for the same price.

I do believe you should go where you can get the best value for your money but i would also cuation a beginner on buying a bic with out some proper advice, i think bics are fine for the first 10 times you are surfing but really after that you need something a bit more faster and responsive.

Also remember the irish surf shop will be there if you do have a problem with the product, imagine posting your bic package back???? And you will leave with the right surfboard for you from a surf shop.

I also seem to think there is a bad lack of guidance on boards.ie from more experienced surfers... I mean bics in my opinion and beginner shaped epoxy surfboards are really not what i would recommend to most surfers... If you are serious about surfing and can take care of a surfboard properly and wont be sharing your board then fibreglass is hands down the best way to go and will be what you would be buying in the future anyways.

thanks neon - would you please give further details on a suggested fibreglass board, again sizewise should surely be bordering on 8 feet i'd imagine?

• Advertisement

neon_glows wrote: »
    From my understanding kingofthewatersports is using the bic package to get people on to there website, its a lost leader and irish shops could not sell that board for the same price..

Some Irish shops do sell that board for the same price. Fibreglass boards ding easily and do not hold their value as well as Bics, which are so easy to sell on ( and depreciate less ) after a few years for those who wish to.

king of watersports it is then
    have not been able to find any close alternative
    and i'm not driving down the sligo just to keep some bloke in business

Advertisement