Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Joe steals the show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fair f&cks to him

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

It wasn't a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I find it funny that seemingly most people gave up before finishing. It was only 36k for fecks sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

you might say he was barking up the wrong bush. oh, eh, hang on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Hasn't he had massive arguments with some Irish cycling journalist at press conferences ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

There's no mention of the ordinary joe in that article at all. I was expecting this guy to beat Armstrong or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

laugh wrote: »
    Hasn't he had massive arguments with some Irish cycling journalist at press conferences ?
    Paul kimmage. The ex pro cyclist who wrote a book that exposed the drug use he was exposed to in his days as a pro. Ruffled a helluva lot of feathers.

He's accused Armstrong of drug doping on a regular basis, even called him a cancer in cycling which IMHO was lazy journalistic hype, even if he was trying to make a valid point.

Is he cheating or was he? Well he has teamed with known dopers and there was some evidence of EPO use back in the late 90's, but he's not had definitive proof against him. At this stage I dunno and funny enough care less. They're either all(or most) at it, or there's only a few at it, but even if you could magically remove drugs from professional cycling in the morning, Armstrong would still be in the very top echelon of cyclists.

Plus his tireless work for cancer charities stands to the man. Maybe it's just me but even if he was as drugged up as a late 60's Keith Richards, I'd still have a lot of admiration for the man and his drive and what he has overcome and what he has achieved. Things that would have destroyed a lesser man. He's apparently very approachable too as that ride last night demonstrated. I read on another forum(unrelated to cycling) about a user who had bumped into him on a training run in LA and they shared the road for a couple of hours, doing the bloke thing of talking shíte and having a laugh.

I do love that aspect of the sport of cycling. I used to be mad into it as a kid and on one training run I and a couple of others bumped into Stephen Roche and shared a few miles with the guy(nice bloke). This was when he had won the tour de france, the world championship and a host of other things. When him and Sean Kelly(another lovely guy I gather) were putting Irish names on the worlds podium at an almost crazy rate.

It's like going for a drive with Schumacher or kicking a ball in the park with Ronaldo or any other sporting hero that you admire. Very very unlikely. Cycling is pretty damned cool that way.

Fair play to him. I'd say a lot of people last night will be dining out on that for a while.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Wibbs wrote: »

I do love that aspect of the sport of cycling. I used to be mad into it as a kid and on one training run I and a couple of others bumped into Stephen Roche and shared a few miles with the guy(nice bloke). This was when he had won the tour de france, the world championship and a host of other things. When him and Sean Kelly(another lovely guy I gather) were putting Irish names on the worlds podium at an almost crazy rate.

It's like going for a drive with Schumacher or kicking a ball in the park with Ronaldo or any other sporting hero that you admire. Very very unlikely. Cycling is pretty damned cool that way.

Fair play to him. I'd say a lot of people last night will be dining out on that for a while.

...or going out beating up blacks with Cheryl Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i met him in killarney on sat after the stage finish of teh tour of ireland.

cool guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is that ordinary Joe Duffy up the front in that picture?

Jaysus - he's doing well since he got his leg busted on Pearse Street a few months back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement