Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst County Limerick towns

Options
  • 26-08-2009 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Following on from a thread in the Cork forum, i thought i'd start up one of our own best and worst discussion. Here are my picks.

Best: Abbeyfeale

Always impressed whenever i go to Abbeyfeale, its got the highest per capita ratio of pubs in the county and a few of them are top notch for entertainment, whether it be musical or just a chat with the local characters. Some fine new housing developments being built too, especially on the Killarney road side of town. Could do with a few more restaurants, but the ones that are there aren't all that bad. Not sure if the abbey go-karting is still going, hope it is cos its the best track in munster! Beautiful hilly countryside surrounding it too. All its missing is a by-pass to take the chronic traffic problem out of town. Also have to give Adare and Annacotty mentions here, decent places to live and frequent. Newcastle West would feature here too but its night time anti-social problems prevent it from doing so.

Worst - Rathkeale. The town really has nothing of note going for it. No amenities of any note, no niteclub and no life in it. Even the Holy Stump is let down. Hard to believe that up to the late 1960s, it was the county's largest and most thriving town. Its not rough, but the towns traveller population are a nuisance. They have added to its decay, with many houses and former business now just boarded up ghost houses. I went to secondary school there, but sorry Rathkeale, when it comes to this vote, you're the weakest link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Have to agree with Rathkeale. Went to school there too....haven't bothered with the place much though since I left. Occasionally I might have to stop there, such as using the ATM, and I just cant get back into my car quickly enough, the travellers just run amok up and down the street. Its a terrible shame as I still have friends there :(

Yeah Adare is definitely the nicest, fantastic golf course, good pubs etc....a mention too to Glin, not sure what its like for pub and grub, but the scenery down by the Shannon is spectacular. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Yeah Rathkeale is the worst, but I would not be convinced of Abbeyfeale either, has its fair share of scumbags, and travellers running amok! Croom and Askeaton also comes in for special mention in this catergory.

As for the nicest I suppose Adare would be up there, but a lot of the locals have their heads stuck up their arses most of the time, and they like to call the place "Aw-dare". Bruree is also a nice little village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bruree is also a nice little village.

I forgot to mention this place, very nice spot, tucked away off the Cork road you'd kind of forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

You locals would be up to date re.improvements or deterioration but was in some Co.Limerick areas 1 year ago and quite familiar with the county in younger years.Always enjoyed trips to the countryside,to Kilmallock,Bruff,Kilfinane and would rate them highly.Love to meet the locals,ramble about town and beautiful countryside.Liked Adare,my parents loved to visit there.But a bit too busy and touristy for me now.Rathkeale has definitely become unattractive for obvious reasons but always enjoyed visits to NewcastleWest and Ardagh area.Abbeyfeale,I must explore.However,as with most of the county towns in Ireland there have been too many changes for the worse.So called progress and development has led to undesirable and incredibly ugly building;environmentally and socially, we have regressed.Planning in Ireland to me,is a bye word.Questionable permission,lousy taste etc.Now I seek out,as a returned tourist, quiet country areas such as The Golden Vale,such areas that are blessed with peace and tranquility and afterwards repair to the hospitality and unspoiled character of a county town,if such exists.

Was just planning Autumn trip to the region.I like to take a route that is quiet,traffic wise and suits interests [History etc] Croom,Fedamore and onto Lough Gur,and stop awhile in the region.But have just learned of unfortunate presence of criminal elements [recently moved from Abbeyfeale] in Fedamore area.See Limerick Leader.Be okay, I suppose,further South or is the matter under control? Slainte:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Was just planning Autumn trip to the region.I like to take a route that is quiet,traffic wise and suits interests [History etc] Croom,Fedamore and onto Lough Gur,and stop awhile in the region.But have just learned of unfortunate presence of criminal elements [recently moved from Abbeyfeale] in Fedamore area.See Limerick Leader.Be okay, I suppose,further South or is the matter under control? Slainte:confused:

Yes.
    :confused:

But anyway, would have to agree with Adare - there's a great atmosphere around the village, and the people actually care about the place, would be my number one by far.

I'd also agree with the OP about the worst. Rathkeale is verging on depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There are a lot of blow-ins now living in Adare and some of them are stuck up, no doubting that. But there's also a lot of sound down to earth locals, in fact nearly all of the local pub and restaurant owners that i know are very decent folk. The village still lacks the buzz of a big town though, and other facilities such as internet cafe, indoor soccer court/tennis court, niteclub, etc.

Last time i played a hurling match in Fedamore, our team bus had to depart under a deluge of stones. That was a few years back and i thought the place was aesthetically very unimpressive. Overgrown ditches and lawns, delapidated and run down buildings. It looked like a ghost village. And i've heard from someone living there that quite a few undesirables have moved out to the area from Southill in the last decade. Perhaps it has improved in recent times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Adare will probably improve after they get rid of the through traffic (Snobby people included) when the bypass is done in in the year 2100 when the next great Celtic Lion reaches our economy.

Thanks again Grenache.Knew Adare many,many moons ago,fished, picked mushrooms there,had a few pints in Chawkes.Sound people,lovely spot. Pity about Fedamore,but I suppose it was inevitable that the area would be affected by the mad housing development in Southill.City and county Councils couldn't spell planning back then throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Off topic I know, but can anyone tell me how the town/village of Hospital got it's name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

how would newcastle west rate? have a friend moving there for 3 months

Not bad, but not the best either, Maiden Street has got a bit of a reputation.

dh0661 wrote: »
    Off topic I know, but can anyone tell me how the town/village of Hospital got it's name?

The town acquired its name from the crusading Knights Hospitaller who built the archaeologically significant cathedral here in 1215. This cathedral has the remains of three interesting tombs, dating from the 13th and 14th centuries.
    An alternative explanation, from the bio of Sir Valentine Browne, Knight, Surveyor general of Ireland (who was awarded lands in the area by Queen Elizabeth I of England) is that the town anciently formed part of the parish of Aney, and derived its name from a hospital for Knights Templar, founded in 1226 by Geoffry de Marisco, then Lord-Justice of Ireland.

Source: Wikipedia

Newcastle has some good services like a great local library, recycling facilities, good sporting facilties. The town is well catered for in terms of shopping, Tesco and two large Super Valu's give you plenty of choice and there's some very good fish shops and butchers. Good amount of clothes stores too. The pubs are a bit of a mixed bag. Pat Whelan's and The Shamrock are decent locals but tell your friend to steer clear of Cronins and The Central Bar - kiddies playcentre and scumbag central respectively. Also avoid Whispers Niteclub, its so dated it should have been knocked long ago. Fireworks, the smaller club, is ok though. The square is to be avoided late at nite, particularly on the weekends as there tends to be troublemakers lurking in the late hours. Maiden St, as previously mentioned, is another no go area late at night. Apart from that, the town is fine.

grenache wrote: »
    Newcastle has some good services like a great local library, recycling facilities, good sporting facilties. The town is well catered for in terms of shopping, Tesco and two large Super Valu's give you plenty of choice and there's some very good fish shops and butchers. Good amount of clothes stores too. The pubs are a bit of a mixed bag. Pat Whelan's and The Shamrock are decent locals but tell your friend to steer clear of Cronins and The Central Bar - kiddies playcentre and scumbag central respectively. Also avoid Whispers Niteclub, its so dated it should have been knocked long ago. Fireworks, the smaller club, is ok though. The square is to be avoided late at nite, particularly on the weekends as there tends to be troublemakers lurking in the late hours. Maiden St, as previously mentioned, is another no go area late at night. Apart from that, the town is fine.

Whispers has been closed for months! Only night club in NCW is Fireworks and its a fairly decent spot and it has 3 floors now. Come to think of it, the only nite clubs in west Limerick are Fireworks and Ruby's in Abbyfeale. And as for Cronins and the Central? Both not too bad, not great either though. From my experiences of going out in NCW for the last 5 years ive seen very little trouble. Like most towns it has its scumbags though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

thanks guys,
    thats very appreciated account of NCW. friend is moving there for 3 months work and apart from having driven throught it many times i knew very little else about it
    thanks again.

Whispers has been closed for months! Only night club in NCW is Fireworks and its a fairly decent spot and it has 3 floors now. Come to think of it, the only nite clubs in west Limerick are Fireworks and Ruby's in Abbyfeale. And as for Cronins and the Central? Both not too bad, not great either though. From my experiences of going out in NCW for the last 5 years ive seen very little trouble. Like most towns it has its scumbags though
    I don't go out in NCW anymore so i was unaware Whispers had closed. About time it closed too, it was embarassing. The reason i don't go out is i found the square at night time to be rough - I've been accosted by scumbags there twice. It just does my head in when you can't go out in a place without having to worry about the local vermin throwing fists at you for no good reason.

I'd have to disagree with grenache on 'The Central Bar' in NCW being scumbag central, it's not that bad, I have never seen any ounce of trouble there, and the pint is pretty good too.

But I would agree with you on Cronins, the place is like a creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Foynes is a lovely spot looking onto the Shannon estuary, some fine buildings either side of the road makes it a very pisturesque place. I don't know for sure if Foynes would be considered a town or village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crusader9872

Comes from the 13th century when the knights hospitallers of st john of god returned from the crusades and were granted lands in the area by the english king. They established a hospital in the area of what is now the church to treat the local people hence the name. In irish it is ospideal i gleann aine( the hospital in the glen of aine)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I suppose Adare would be up there, but a lot of the locals have their heads stuck up their arses most of the time, and they like to call the place "Aw-dare".

Odd that you would say that because after living in adare for a long long time i never once heard a local pronounce it like that.

And i don't get why so many people seem to want to believe the place is full of snobs. Yeah like most places there are a few, but don't mix up someone taking pride in the place with being a snob. Adare wouldn't have a good tourist trade if it gave its visitors the impression that they were snobby.

It seems to have a good reputation with americans and is a nice scenic place which earns us a lot of weddings and so on. Its a nice place but to be honest its a bit boring! There isn't a whole lot to do! Pub's are grand and its great if you like a round of golf but not much else to do otherwise!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Have to stick up for Rathkeale here! Its a very friendly little town. The street I live on just outside the town probably has some of the nicest houses in West Limerick. There is a newly built library that is very modern and an excellent facility. There is a beautiful castle and river also.
    Also with the travellers theres always a buzz and excitement around the place and never a dull moment at Christmas time!:pac:

My favourite place in Limerick county probably is Knockfearna.But towns,its got to be Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Went through a few Limerick towns on the way to a stag do in Killarney last weekend and I have to say Abbeyfeale didn't impress too much, the town looked a bit dull and there were a lot of travellers knocking around. Not from the area at all so don't give out to me, just my two cents.

PS: Super Ma's?! Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Caherconlish...AWFUL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

personally if i had to live in any other place than the city in limerick it would be Newcastle west, it has a population of 22,000 within 12 miles of the town square so the bigger the better..but thats because im young and lived in a city all my life, iv drivin through it a few times and it looks pritty nice!

worst has to go to rathkeale, looks like a shanty town and no offence against the people but it has the highest percentage of travellers than any other town in ireland which always leads to trouble

Just read the news today about the appalling desecration of the church in Caherconlish. I wonder if the HSE and the local authorities have any comment to make regarding the public perception that the serious breakdown in law and order, in recent times, in once quiet rural towns in the Limerick area and their arbitrary policy of resettling socially dysfunctional families in those towns are not unconnected.It's obvious to many that the HSE and its attendant public bodies are blindly spreading the disease of anti social behaviour

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    personally if i had to live in any other place than the city in limerick it would be Newcastle west, it has a population of 22,000 within 12 miles of the town square so the bigger the better..but thats because im young and lived in a city all my life, iv drivin through it a few times and it looks pritty nice!

worst has to go to rathkeale, looks like a shanty town and no offence against the people but it has the highest percentage of travellers than any other town in ireland which always leads to trouble
    Shanty town maybe, although there's a lot of new developments in the town recently. There's a perception that because Rathkeale has a high traveller population that it is a mecca for anti-social activity, where as nothing could be further from the truth. In reality its a quiet town with little trouble. The travellers that live in Rathkeale are not the rough type, they're more of a nuisance, blocking up the main st with their transits and letting their kids run free around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PhotoFireAir

<snip>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stop bringing old threads back to life with the same post.

Locking thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement