Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Server/PC

• 26-08-2009 2:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ok need some help.

I need a PC/Server to run windows vista or xp.

I need the PC/Server to have a backup which can just be hot swapped out to anothe PC in needed.

I need the PC/Server to auto boot if power fails.

Also the PC/Server needs to be on all the time.

Up to four computers will conect to it for database use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

What do you want help with?

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

funk-you wrote: »
    What do you want help with?

-Funk

What would be the best type of computer and spec to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,845 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Budget will be a major factor here.......

Why XP or Vista?
    Do you have a UPS already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Any hint of a budget there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

OK let me fill in the blanks.

The database is a medical one and needs XP or Vista.

We need a backup system so that if the computer goes down we have a second drive that we can just pull out and are back running.

Cost 1,000 - 2,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Please and thank you always helps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

With a UPS you don't need a second PC, just keep working on the first one. The UPS will provide instant battery power if there is a blackout in the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

A ups will provide enough power to allow you to shut down the PC (some, more expensive, will give you half an hour or up to a few hours depending on the level of usage).. to keep working indefinitely you'd be looking at a flywheel dynamo which is way too expensive and big for small business use. That said, a UPS is still a requirement as power cuts will kill a hard drive if its in the middle of a write action, which , if its a database with 4 users connected simultaenously it will be more often than not. APC provide software called powerchute that shuts the machine down gracefully. Just make sure that the interrupt time on the UPS is LESS than the interrupt time on the PC/Server - I've had a problem before with a server PSU where the interrupt time was higher on the UPS and it shut down every time before the UPS had a chance to take over supply.

to answer your original questions:

I need a PC/Server to run windows vista or xp.

you dont "need" a server for this. any PC will do. just get a decent spec. Speed of the database on it will depend on the hard drives and the amount of use it will get. there are dell workstations with xeon processors and raid arrays but they are costly.

I need the PC/Server to have a backup which can just be hot swapped out to another PC in needed.

Get two PCs with the exact same hardware spec. Drives should be swappable (but not HOT swappable!). For hot swap you'll have to buy a hot swappable drive + drive bay and ensure that the motherboard supports this.

A better option would possibly to get a raid capable machine and set up raid 1 (mirroring). have 2 identical drives in the raid array. Then, if one fails you can switch over to the other and rebuild the array with a new drive or, if the hardware fails, you can swap over to a same-spec PC with a raid card and run from the drive. not entirely sure how practical this would be for a PC though.

I need the PC/Server to auto boot if power fails.

setting in most BIOS screens these days. Choice is "off" "on" and "last state" . just selct on or last state (soem bios screens call this "on AC restore" , it'll be under power settings).

Also the PC/Server needs to be on all the time.

can be done. just be sure to set the update times to a period that suits yourself if you are using windows as the OS. There will be downtime for updates and patching, its just a question of managing the time (or having a load balanced setup where one gets patched while the other takes the strain and then the second machine has its turn but thats possibly too expensive an option).

Up to four computers will conect to it for database use.

all depends on the OS and the database software used.

*all my opinion only. Also, its just a few thoughts, not meant to be a definitive examination of your requirements.

Advertisement