Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv ratings?!

Options
  • 25-08-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

im absolutely bewildered in how they come up with these figures, can anyone explain how they do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Either do I.

Plus They are wildly inaccurate because they don't count people without a TV Licence!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    Tv raitings?!
    im absolutely bewildered in how they come up with these figures, can anyone explain how they do it?

They drop the first i.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Company called Nielson I think.

From Wikipedia:
    Nielsen Television Ratings are gathered in one of two ways:

1. Viewer "diaries," in which a target audience self-records its viewing or listening habits. By targeting various demographics, the assembled statistical models provide a rendering of the audiences of any given show, network, and programming hour.

2. A more technologically sophisticated system uses Set Meters, which are small devices connected to televisions in selected homes. These devices gather the viewing habits of the home and transmit the information nightly to Nielsen through a "Home Unit" connected to a phone line. The technology-based home unit system is meant to allow market researchers to study television viewing habits on a minute to minute basis, seeing the exact moment viewers change channels or turn off their TV. In addition to set meters, individual viewer reporting devices, such as people meters, have allowed the company to separate household viewing information into various demographic groups, but so far Nielsen has refused to change its distribution of data of ethnic groups into subgroups, which could give more targeted information to networks and advertisers.

Changing systems of viewing have impacted Nielsen's methods of market research. In 2005, Nielsen began measuring the usage of digital video recordings such as TiVo. Initial results indicate that time-shifted viewing will have a significant impact on television ratings. The networks are not yet figuring these new results into their ad rates at the resistance of advertisers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I can't understand how actors in programmes look at a screen which shows how many people watch their show and then as it gets funnier the number increases.

How would anyone know the programme is getting better if they werent watching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I can't understand how actors in programmes look at a screen which shows how many people watch their show and then as it gets funnier the number increases.

How would anyone know the programme is getting better if they werent watching it?

word of mouth??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are you asking if the technology exists to measure viewership directly as broadcast, or if they use random sample questionnaires?

Wondered about this myself....no one has ever asked me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Makes sense, thanks I didn't think of that. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

go to rte 2 and put on teletext and type 369, all the viewings, stuff like 488,000 like, such a random figure you'd wonder like:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i'd say that Sky/NTL/Chorus etc probably have a way to track who is watching what...

as for terrestrial services i hav no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dannym08 wrote: »
    i'd say that Sky/NTL/Chorus etc probably have a way to track who is watching what...

as for terrestrial services i hav no idea

No idea how Sky could do that as they do not install 2 way satellite dishes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61786418&postcount=4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    No idea how Sky could do that as they do not install 2 way satellite dishes.

ye i didn't think about it very much tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Easy...they pull the figures out of their arse to suit themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A certain amount of the population have boxes of some sort on their TVs that track what they watch. This sample is taken as representative of the population in total. Can't think off the top of my head how many people have that, but it would be a fair few. Then they use the percentages to come up with a figure for the population as whole.

Edit: Found these posts about it!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055551008
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=259312
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2002_May_1/ai_85366961/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Either do I.

Plus They are wildly inaccurate because they don't count people without a TV Licence!;)

Or people with more than one television set in the house. Otherwise Wes Mantooth would be number 1.

Advertisement