Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing Speech by Young Iraq War Veteran

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭simplistic

So much truth in a few minutes, beautiful!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is it truth because it's fact, or is it truth because it happens to agree with your perceptions?

One must wonder what he was thinking when he joined up. If he honestly didn't know that in a volunteer military a solider joins up with the expectation of being sent to war, probably kill, and possibly die, at the instruction of someone who will never be in the trenches with him, he must be one of the most naive people on the planet.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Is it truth because it's fact, or is it truth because it happens to agree with your perceptions?

The declassified CIA documents prove that torture occured, at least in Gitmo. Regardless of anyone's perception here. The rest of the video is the soldier expressing his opinion on the conflict having been there and seen it up close. Something which has clearly made you bristle, as evidenced by your hinting accusation that he:

must be one of the most naive people on the planet.

Classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Racism?

I stopped taking it seriously once he started yapping about that. If he didn't want to go to war or to take orders off people far above his pay grade, he shouldn't have joined the military.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    The declassified CIA documents prove that torture occured, at least in Gitmo. Regardless of anyone's perception here.

I am not arguing that. (Though I wonder if, being the principled chap that he is, instead of telling the prisoner to stand up when the sergeant came around he shouldn't instead have reported it to his lieutenant)
    The rest of the video is the soldier expressing his opinion on the conflict having been there and seen it up close. Something which has clearly made you bristle, as evidenced by your hinting accusation that he:

That wasn't a hinting accusation. That was a pretty blatantly stated observation.

In any case, as you say, it's his opinion. That does not make it truth. I have my own opinion on the matter, and it diverges from his in a number of respects.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I thought this was an amazing speech, he really hit every point on the head that needed to get said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B9V2tbnxk0&feature=related

That speech by Michael Prysner was amazing. His point that the people being sent out to fight the Iraqis actually have far more in common with the Iraqi people than they do the billionaires who send them is so true. As for his charge of racism if by that he means the tendency of some in the US to see all non-americans as inferior citizens and to justify any abusive behaviour on that basis - well we've seen that again and again. I lost count of how often when someone said the treatment of prisoners in gitmo was against the principle of American law they received the reply - they're not US citizens and so don't deserve the protection of US law. I was also dismayed to see the bewailing of American casualties without any reference to the far far greater numbers of Iraqi casualties - this even on left oriented on sites opposed to the war.

Advertisement