Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board recommendation

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all

Just thought I'd throw this up here and see if I get any suggestions!

I'm what you'd describe as an intermediate surfer, I stand on every wave I catch and have no problems staying standing or shooting down the face of the wave. However my board 8'6" NSP is a pain in the ass to turn and I think it's time to change!

I'm 6'5" and weigh about 16 stone hence I got the 8'6" in the first place. My number one love is kitesurfing which I do a couple of times a week and so only get to surf when conditions aren't good for kiting!

Any suggestions for a board that would suit me are very much appreciated! I suppose something smaller that's way easier to turn?

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Westbay Hybrid?

you could google it, easy to find the site..

that's what I think I'm going to go for once I master my 7ft 9 Bic mal..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I think intermediate surfers would ones who can turn and go down the face. Beginner/intermediate is the label you are looking for. :P ;)

Anyway If I were you I'd stick with the current board and work on technique. It sounds like you don't get out (surfing) very often. Its really all about practice. I find I'm sh!t hot in the water after the 3rd day in a row, but if I don't get out for a few weeks then I'm like bambi trying to stand up.

Sorry you asked for a board recommendation.... Get a 6'6 retro fish, short, turns, plenty of float. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭trasver

Cheers guys that's great, keep the suggestions coming!

Fair point kodute I'm a beginner/intermediate, don't mind what the label is, just wanted to say I'm not a complete beginner!! I probably should have mentioned that on boards I've used from other people turning really isn't a problem so while technique undoubtably plays a role I know the board does have something to do with it for me which is why I'm looking to get something a bit easier to turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

trasver wrote: »
    Fair point kodute I'm a beginner/intermediate, don't mind what the label is, just wanted to say I'm not a complete beginner!! I probably should have mentioned that on boards I've used from other people turning really isn't a problem so while technique undoubtably plays a role I know the board does have something to do with it for me which is why I'm looking to get something a bit easier to turn!

I'm only playing with ya, don't mind the labels ... unless your a kook!! :D

Thats a bit clearer. I agree smaller boards are hella easier to turn than longboards. Turning longboards is tough to do but worth the effort to learn.

I like the idea of the fish because of the float (which you'll need) and the fact its short and you can throw it in the back of the car with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

You're all Kooks!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

I have a similar query. I'm beginner/intermediate weigh 13st and currently use a 9'2". I'm ok popping up, catching green waves and riding at an angle but turning is a problem and I have been considering something like a fat boy flyer in the 7'6" ish sort of size. Anybody any experience with these boards or have other recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

try a flying carpet, usually around 6'10'' to 7'6'' and have same dimensions and shape of a longboard without being to long. I know there is a really nice one in tramore surf shop fibreglass to for 389.00e im thinking of taking it for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Turning a longboard is piss easy, ya just gotta stick with it until it clicks. Like all good things in life it requires practice & persistence.
    There are trade-offs with everything and while going shorter may increase the ability of your board to turn it'll come at the cost of stability which a longboard has in spades.

Your board is more a larger Mini-Mal than a longboard but you should be able to experiment in regards to trimming the board and seeing the effects that different positioning makes.
    Equally play around in regards to steering it from the rear and weighting your back foot more when you want to turn.

As you say that you only surf occasionally then you will loose out on wave count if you go shorter. So getting back to trade-offs... you will spend more time paddling trying to catch waves rather then riding waves and remember that you CAN ONLY TURN IF YOU ARE SURFING!!

A Magic Carpet style board is a reasonable step down in size board but what you got is fine just concentrate on learning to use it to its full potential.

Advertisement