Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that....

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

some of the posters on the psychics thread could be actuall psychics trying to drum up some business for themselves?? i just find alot of posters promoting newer mediums have only joined within a day or so of them posting.....just my 10c....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I'm not practicing as a psychic/medium/whatever myself at all but I'm just a bit of an enthusiast on all things arcane and unusual; that tends to extend to a few people who actually do psychic readings and what have you as well. Obviously these people are in the minority nationwide. But thats another cause for debate/dispute...

I know what youre saying about how there might be posters on here who talk about how fabulous and AMAZING so-and-so is, who might BE that reader themselves. Ive often thought that - more often than I'd like, tbh. Right, I can definitely name one poster who came on here promoting "two readers", when it turned out to be only one, and that was Blackwater. Blackwater was talking about the reader in the third person context when it was really herself she was prattling on about. I thought that was underhanded and sly. I was thinking for a while that Celtic1888 must be a sister/other relative/close friend of Billy Martin's, but I just reckon she's a faithful client who has been happy with his service. Plus, Martin's competancy has been corroborated by other posters, unless surely to Christ they happen to be friends or relatives of his? :pac: I've been to Martin myself and I can attest he was very competant, so I believe his readings aren't driven by a covert marketing campaign to pull in oblivious punters.

As for the names of other psychics/mediums being bandied about with regularity... I think Dympna Hughes' daughter has posted on here concerning her mother, but that has just been to inform people about the current situation with her mother and the readings and to reiterate the contact number, etc. I don't think there's anything deviously calculating about that because 1) her intent was clear anyway, and 2) loads of people already know about Dympna, so she doesn't need the plugs (if anything, she needs to go into hiding :D). I'd have doubts about some of the lesser known psychics - in those cases, I reckon they're the ones most likely to be plugged by the person doing the readings themselves. Undercover. :p There might have been some unadulterated arse kissing for the reputation of Mary Tealeaves on an occasion or two, even though she's well known at this stage. Hmmmm..

I understand what you're on about anyway. I've seen a lot of these suspicious-looking new boards accounts followed by a swift post declaring BlahBlahBlah to be the mightiest psychic/medium/koombayajambalaya to have ever graced the shores of Ireland. But a person would have to be a right ditchwater dimwit to fail to notice the connection and then post like a mad thing, "Someone PM their number please!". I have a higher estimation of users' common sense and intelligence on here most of the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

your right, i went to see a medium and i posted that he wasnt that good - my opinion - and then i got chased down by a poster saying i was being riduculous and he was fantastic and then posted where the medium was going to be next week etc so was more than likely the medium...ive just given up on them really

teresa2008 wrote: »
    your right, i went to see a medium and i posted that he wasnt that good - my opinion - and then i got chased down by a poster saying i was being riduculous and he was fantastic and then posted where the medium was going to be next week etc so was more than likely the medium...ive just given up on them really

Can I ask who it was you had the misfortune to see? I might know whether or not you have strong reason to believe he was sh!te then, lol. I mean, I believe you when you say he wasn't any good (because that's your own personal experience and it's valid), but Im aware of certain blokes in this country charging money for the telling of sh!te to people. Some of them travel around the place, not necessarily remaining in the one, fixed location.. If the reading yer man gave you wasn't making any sense 10-15 mins in, you were within your rights to demand a refund if money had already been handed over, or to not give him a cent at that point. Some of these yokes can intimidate the person they're reading for as well, making the person too timid to speak up. There are patronising f*ckers out there who need to be brought crashing down to earth. That's why I have no problem whatsoever saying that so-and-so is sh!te or a wanker, etc, if I've experienced that personally or if Ive heard it from friends or relatives. It's important to be frank.

That poster who harrassed you for saying that medium was crap (in your opinion) is either an ignorant twat or, as you said, the medium in disguise. Or else a close friend or relative. Based on the fact that they seemed so preoccupied with your negative opinion of that fella and how they went to the trouble of listing where he could be found next, that reeks of suspicion. If there was irrefutable evidence that the poster was the medium himself or a publicist-relative/friend, they could be reported, but there's feck all anyone can do really. Except give their truthful opinion (like you did) of the bloke if they saw him and let the wrath of that eejit poster come raining down, or to just ignore the 'recommendation' altogether. Ignore the fecker.

It's a balls when these sorts of experiences sour a person's view of psychics and mediums, although the vast majority are hoaxers/chancers alright. I'll tell you one important thing though.. The number of people claiming to be mediums in this country is complete and utter boll0cks. That large number of people are not all communicating with spirits and all the other afterlife beings. They just aren't. True mediumship is shockingly rare. I don't have statistics or anything on this, but I can only say this from personal experience. Most people who are calling themselves mediums in this country (and who seem very competant to various people) are only highly skilled psychics. All they're doing is reading the aura (consciously or unconsciously) of the person. Now I dont know where you stand on the existence or credibility of aura existence and all that, but that's basically what it is that they do. The aura of a person (and an animal) is like a bank that holds all the information on their past and present (and their past lives, if you're a believer in reincarnation..). You'll know if someone's really a medium if they can give you the full name of a deceased relative/friend, a detailed physical description, personal quirks and habits, etc. For any of these so-called mediums who say that they can only get the first name (say, 'John', a brother) of the dead person and that sort of thing, well, fcuk, they arent in contact with the fella. If a deceased relative or friend were to come through that you were close to, they wouldnt be such stingy idiots to only give their Christian name to the alleged medium. For Christ sake like. Any of these 'mediums' who blurt out minor, partially complete (that's where the Barnum statements and cold reading come in :D), are only taking the piss.

I thought Carol Byrne (who calls herself a medium) in Wexford was sh!te myself, but then I know and know of people who found her excellent. I felt at the time that she was throwing out random, one-size-fits-all names and assessing my reactions to determine whether she would elaborate on the 'person' or not. When I'd shake my head, she'd think again before trying out a new name (which I didn't know) on me. Well, after about 15 minutes, when it was clear I was out in the swamps of Nicaragua, she nipped the reading in the bud and she didnt charge me anything (not that I'd have paid money for that quarter of an hour of crap anyway).

I also think that there may be quite a signficant number of people who idealise their experiences with certain psychics/mediums, or who might be more gullible than they would realise. Then they tell all these other people that LaLaLa was amazing and 'gifted' and all the rest, which is ultimately misleading.

I would advise every person who visits any of these readers to record the whole reading for themselves. Then they can be fully objective when they're away from the reading (and the influence of the reader) later on and they're listening back to the reading. You can pick up a basic digital dictaphone for about €40. Argos sell them. They're very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

i went to see a guy called joe in ballyfermot, throwing random stuff at me, i shouldnt have went coz a person really close to me died and i just wanted reassurance as soon as he said sudden death i got upset so more fool me, and my boyfriend went too and he said the exact same things to me as he did to him, i was way too sensitive at the time but i just wanted some closure and to know that i might see the deaseased again

• Advertisement

teresa2008 wrote: »
    i went to see a guy called joe in ballyfermot, throwing random stuff at me, i shouldnt have went coz a person really close to me died and i just wanted reassurance as soon as he said sudden death i got upset so more fool me, and my boyfriend went too and he said the exact same things to me as he did to him, i was way too sensitive at the time but i just wanted some closure and to know that i might see the deceased again

Sorry to hear about the death and about that wanker Joe. I don't mean to sound patronising now, but I reckon that anyone who has suffered a bereavement is far better off going to a counsellor to talk to them first before trying out a medium. Most 'mediums' are charlatans. I dont know why people have been recommending Joe in Ballyfermot on here tbh. It's either Joe himself bigging himself up, his mates or relatives giving him a leg up, or just that the people who thought he was great altogether are fairly gullible and naive.

I actually think it's unethical for any proper medium to charge fees to anybody who sees them who's recently bereaved. Havent they lost enough already ffs?? :mad:

Advertisement