Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else nervous?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi! Starting to get a bit nervous about the whole returning to education as a mature student thing! :o I'm heading to a small college, like the size of my old secondary school and it's just starting to hit me. A friend just finished her ordinary degree and said the 3 years flew so i'm hoping the same. Anyone else feeling out of their depth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think i'm more scared than nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I did a FETAC course last year so feel like I got a lot of nerves out of the way then (as regards returning to edu) heading for ul this year, had the mat stu welcome yest. Tbh it's all the admin that's making me crazy, grants/fees/allowances etc. Not too worried about the mature side of it (although felt a little pigeon holed yest) Best thing I keep telling myself is: This is a good thing! Just keep an open mind and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I think i'm more scared than nervous!

What you scared of, you big nerd! You'll be grand. Least there might be one or two people you know. ;)

Excited and nervous at the same time. Been such a big build up for me getting into this course. The time is finally arriving and I'm a bit :eek: Going away on Thursday so that should have me relaxed for starting in a few weeks. :)

mud wrote: »
    Tbh it's all the admin that's making me crazy, grants/fees/allowances etc. Not too worried about the mature side of it (although felt a little pigeon holed yest) Best thing I keep telling myself is: This is a good thing! Just keep an open mind and enjoy it!

Tell me about it!! Head is fried.

What made you feel a bit pigeon-holed btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi fifomania

You'll be fine. :) I'm going into my second year now soon and can't wait. You'll have a ball. I didn't know anybody when I started. Join some clubs and societies when you start. I didn't get time in the first year, but I'm joining the surfing club when I get back (IT Sligo). Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I'm nervous, but just wish the time would go quicker until I get started (Two weeks and two days.. but whos counting :D) I cant wait to get started!! Plus I'll know nobody at all in the whole college when I start, but I'm hoping I get on with everyone anyway! Just wishing I knew if Im accepted for the grant or not, because this looks like the only thing I'll be surviving on at this stage. :rolleyes:

Is affording it a worry for any of yis? and the fees coming back in? Its looking like I'll be suriving on €90 a week and €40 of this will be gone on petrol :( But it hopefully will all be worth it :D

Well, I do have some money saved as I thought I'd have to go to the UK or up North for college (but didn't. :D) Yeah, I guess I'll have to get a loan if full fees come back in. Never had a loan in my life and not something I'm looking forward to or graduating with a loan to pay off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I register for my PLC course next Tuesday and I'm starting to get nervous. Wondering will I be the elder lemon (38 and doing a PLC course!!). Its starting to hit me now:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Larianne wrote: »
    Never had a loan in my life and not something I'm looking forward to or graduating with a loan to pay off. :(
    Yeah, me neither. I'm fundamentally apposed to the whole idea of debt tbh. Things like mortgages and loans are the devil's work as far as I'm concerned. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Larianne wrote: »
    Tell me about it!! Head is fried.

What made you feel a bit pigeon-holed btw?

I just felt that their idea of a mature student was someone in their 40s 50s. I'm 30 so kinda afraid that I'll be too old for most and too young for some :( And the constant referral to "mature students", I'm a first year student dammit!

In fairness though, I know it's probably nerves and I'm looking for something to ****e on about ;)

• Advertisement

Ah you'll be okay. I went to a mature student info morning and most people seemed to be around my age, 26.

All this fear will be a distant memory in a few weeks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

the nerves are starting to get to me now but i know i'm doing the right thing going to NUIG. it all the other crazy stuff i have to plan outside it thats makin me even more nervous.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

bricking it, more in relation to stuffing up the forms though. was selected for the pilot UL online enrolment so at least that means less standing about next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jellyt

nervous20baby.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jellyt

:pac: Anyone Else Excited ! ? !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 isuppose25

jellyt wrote: »
    :pac: Anyone Else Excited ! ? !

Yes i'm excited but nervous also, looking forward to meeting new people and joining some clubs/societies

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Can't wait to get started! Two years on a P.L.C course, so, I feel prepared (well a little prepared). Am I the oldest mature student here??? (at 40 I feel really mature... actually really, really mature and verging on the side of a real grown-up!) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I'm nearly as grown up as you at 38. Good luck on your course:D

Advertisement