Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wonderful sight and a sign of things to come

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

I awoke at about 5am this morning. Through the lace curtain I saw a bright object. Thinking it might be Mars or Venus, I went to the window to get a better look. It wasn't either of them. There, in its full glory, was the constellation of Orion. It was Rigel that I had seen. Orion is always a wonderful sight to see, and it is great to see it for the first time after the summer.

It was fully risen and it looked wonderful, as it always does. Sirius was still below the horizon, but that didn't detract from being able to see Orion. Usually you only start getting to see it in about October, when it starts to rise at a more sociable hour. So seeing it in all its glory in late August was a treat. Funnily enough, I had been thinking last night that Orion would be visible in the early hours at this time of year, but I wasn't expecting to get a glimpse of it.

Many people don't like the long winter nights, but for those of us with an interest in astronomy they have something special, but nothing more special than seeing Orion. The best constellation of all certainly brightens up the winter. The summer is over, but there is a lot to look forward to, as I saw this morning. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Flukey wrote: »
    Many people don't like the long winter nights, but for those of us with an interest in astronomy they have something special, but nothing more special than seeing Orion. The best constellation of all certainly brightens up the winter. The summer is over, but there is a lot to look forward to, as I saw this morning. :)

And I though it was just me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Yep, clouds weren't bad in Skerries. So I got a look at Jupiter, M31, and a brief glimpse of the ring nebula.

Can't wait for Orion to come back up so I can just stare at it again. ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Ah Orion, my Old (Very Old) Friend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is indeed a great old friend. Apparently though, scientists believe that Betelgeuse is shrinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Return of the King !

• Advertisement
Advertisement