Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating and Subject Choice advice

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

I was hoping to do medicine but unfortunately didnt get in due to my hpat score. Im going to sit this again as I know I will do a lot better next year. I need to improve by at least 30 points in it to be safe. Hopefully it wont be on the same week as the mocks again.

Anyway, I got 570 in the LC, and Im hoping to bring this up to 580 due to rechecks, but Im going to repeat anyway. As I only have biology I am only eligible for the 6 year course, so Im going to repeat, take up chemistry in the one year and aim for the 5 year course in UCC. Do people think these subjects are good:
    HL( for points)
    Maths: Im a natural at this subject so no probs doing this again
    Applied maths: Did this subject in 7 months, twice a week after school, and got an A1. A natural in this subject aswell.
    Accounting: no problems
    Spanish: no problems
    Business: Did this for the LC, but will study this outside school, no point going to classes. The 6th year chemistry class is on at this time anyway.
    Biology: no problem either.

and as people know for med you need all the requirements in the one year so no dropping english or irish, so I'll drop to OL in both English and Irish. Ill attend the english classes, but Ive been told not to bother attending the OL irish classes. Is this a good idea?

And then theres HL chemistry. Ive already kinda studied the 5 year course over the summer, so I can easily fit into the 6th year classes. People who have done chemistry, should I also attend the 5th year classes aswell? Most of the experiments are done in 5th year though.

Any advice please and answers to my queries please? I know these are a lot of subjects, but like I need them in order to get into med. The only ones Id really be 'studying' are chemistry, biology and business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

You seem pretty set on repeating but have you taken into the consideration the impending fees for students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Oh yeah I am aware about the fees, and Im ok financially to cover this, but sure Im not going to take the course I was offered, so whether I repeat or not, Im still going to face these possible fees. And Im not dead set on repeating btw :(, it just seems to be the best route for me to go, to get the course I truly want, and also to keep myself occupied for the year. Ive just had alot of time to think things through!:rolleyes: I just want to make sure my timetable for the year will be good enough, like with the irish and 5th year chemistry classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

There's no point in attending OL Irish classes, I take it you did HL last year, but even if you did OL you will be fine to do it again without classes.

But are you sure need to take chemistry in the same year to get into the 5 year course. You have a qualifying leaving cert all ready, it may be worth checking out.

I myself am kind of considering repeating for medicine too and am a bit unsure of what would be the best subjects to take. I know I would do OL maths and irish as before and then take HL chemistry, biology, ag. science, dcg and German then I'm not sure of the sixth, either English or business. I'd only be taking up business this year but English is far too hit and miss for me. It might be best to take the two of them.

Calum196 wrote: »
    There's no point in attending OL Irish classes, I take it you did HL last year, but even if you did OL you will be fine to do it again without classes.

But are you sure need to take chemistry in the same year to get into the 5 year course. You have a qualifying leaving cert all ready, it may be worth checking out.

I myself am kind of considering repeating for medicine too and am a bit unsure of what would be the best subjects to take. I know I would do OL maths and irish as before and then take HL chemistry, biology, ag. science, dcg and German then I'm not sure of the sixth, either English or business. I'd only be taking up business this year but English is far too hit and miss for me. It might be best to take the two of them.

Yeah I did HL irish and got an A2. But I absolutely HATED this subject and dont want to go through it all again. Its just a huge burden anyway.
    Well, on the chemistry, I want to get into UCC and the 5 year course is the only one offer there and you must have a HC3 in it. However at the end of the day I only have one science subject, so at the moment I am only eligible for the 6 yr course. Some only require 2 science subjects, and not necessarily chemistry.

I did HL english aswell, but I have too much to focus on. There are different texts, poets etc. Business will be an easy enough subject to do in a year. Its all theory and even though you will be doing it in one year, Id say it would be a lot easier than english. In my own experience from last year, its a lot easier to get a higher grade in business than english. English is just so unpredictable.

Was it the HPAT your downfall or was it the LC? Or are you just repeating as you have decided you would prefer to do med?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

It may be too late now, but if you do 1st year science and then get into medicine via the H-PAT you can get into the 5 year course...

• Advertisement

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    It may be too late now, but if you do 1st year science and then get into medicine via the H-PAT you can get into the 5 year course...

Im not too sure about that, they would take whatever you get in the LC plus requirements etc. Id say if I did 1st year science, sit the hpat and get med, Id only be elligible for the 6 yr course again. Anyway I was offered physio in UL but decided not to take it, so its definitely too late now.... Think Ill be better off repeating and aim for the HPAT again.

They will. It's the same basic 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Is it really worth it to repeat for the two points that you'd be getting :confused:

Edit: As in, I didnt know you had to present HPAT and Leaving results from the same year, in fact I was almost certain you didnt have to, as long as all matriculation was done in the same year.

Fad wrote: »
    Is it really worth it to repeat for the two points that you'd be getting :confused:

Edit: As in, I didnt know you had to present HPAT and Leaving results from the same year, in fact I was almost certain you didnt have to, as long as all matriculation was done in the same year.

No you dont have to have the HPAT and the LC done in the same year, but as I said I want to get into the 5 yr course, and if I can in UCC. But you need to have all the requirements for the LC done in the same sitting. I dont want to repeat:( but it seems like the only sensible option I think I should do.

They will. It's the same basic 1st year.

Would this be the same say if I did physio in UL for the 1st year. This is the first Ive heard of this!!!

• Advertisement

You'd have to get an interview with the dean of that faculty to see if they would.

You'd have to get an interview with the dean of that faculty to see if they would.

Oh....well the only option I have at the momont is physio and I dont particularly want to do this. I dont have chemistry anyway so this will give me an option of vet med anyway. Do people think Im making the right decision repeating, considering my reasons and circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Xtina!! wrote: »
    No you dont have to have the HPAT and the LC done in the same year, but as I said I want to get into the 5 yr course, and if I can in UCC. But you need to have all the requirements for the LC done in the same sitting. I dont want to repeat:( but it seems like the only sensible option I think I should do.

Seems like an awful lot of effort for a single year......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Dont know about repeating, your points are sufficient.
    You will only save one year (assuming you get the 5 year med coure). This may seem like a long time now but it isnt really.

Go out and get some practical knowledge, try to get work experience in a home for the elderly or volunteer in a hospice. This will give you a feel for the challenges of patient care and possibly help with the HPAT.

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Oh....well the only option I have at the momont is physio and I dont particularly want to do this. I dont have chemistry anyway so this will give me an option of vet med anyway. Do people think Im making the right decision repeating, considering my reasons and circumstances?

The 30 extra LC points are worth fúck all to you in fairness, and you can still apply in Galway without Chem. In my opinion it isn't worth repeating the Leaving for the 5 year course.

Regardless of how you do in the LC this year, your HPAT will be the decider. Consider applying abroad in case that goes wrong again..?

The 30 extra LC points are worth fúck all to you in fairness, and you can still apply in Galway without Chem. In my opinion it isn't worth repeating the Leaving for the 5 year course.

Regardless of how you do in the LC this year, your HPAT will be the decider. Consider applying abroad in case that goes wrong again..?

I only have biology, so I can apply to the six year courses in UCD, RCSI and NUIG. If I repeat everything, plus chemistry, I can apply to every 5 year medicine course and if Im lucky enough UCC, but of course I will be happy with any.
    Mmmm....I know what you mean by its not worth repeating everything, I do feel that aswell, seeing as I did get 570 pts i.e. 554. Its just Im soooo worried the HPAT wont go well for me again, although I do know I will get a higher score. I know, it all depends on the HPAT.
    Thanks for the advice!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I am repeating the leaving cert this year and basically would love your opinion on whether to repeat ag science or business,

I do geography and biology and pretty much love them but on the other hand i despise economics... but is business different? i could just learn it off unlike economics where understanding of the subject is needed...

Would greatly appreciate a reply soon :)

Advertisement