Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinchillas Temprature range

Options
  • 24-08-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking of getting two chinchillas as a breeding pair , im currently doing research and i will explain my situation i have a wooden shed which i have been thinking of using for the chinchillas it is draughtproofed i am a bird breeder so i am used to keeping animals . I want to know is temprature in a draughtproofed wooden shed a problem for chinchillas in the winter.
    From my research it seems to say the colder the better to an extent
    http://www.greenwoodchinchillas.co.uk/overheating.htm
    , i know you cant just throw an indoor animal outside in the middle of winter , but would an adjusted chinchilla be ok in our climate .
    As for warm summer days i plan on giving the chinchillas access to a very secure outside enclosure . that has roof over it .

As i said im just currently doing research so dont be hard on me , as far as im concerned an animal is with me for its lifetime so i want to be sure before i take the next step .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No, chinchillas can't be kept outside. They must be kept indoors in a dry environment otherwise they can suffer from fungal problems.
    Winters would be too cold even with a shed, unlike birds and some other smallies. It's the damp that would be more the problem than the heating and unless you have heating it's hard to prevent damp even in a well built shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah your spot on there just read a article on fungal problems and there are really dampness related in chinchillas .
    Guess i will just have to wait till i can sort a nice indoor set up .

You're better off with them indoors anyway you can keep a close eye on them esp. any babies that might come along. You prob. know about zooplus, not sure if they have chin cages but might be worth checking them out probably get the set up cheaper on that.

what small animals would be ok in a set up like described ?
    Just out of interest wont be getting any.

Have you any pics of the shed to get a better idea, possible (ideally with a double door system to prevent escape) ferrets perhaps or a pair of rabbits as long as they had hutch inside the shed over winter that was really warm.
    I wouldn't leave guineapigs outside during winter, some rabbits can be prone to the snuffles so some rabbits aren't able for winters outside.

If you added an aviary type outer area with lots of climbing stuff etc. with double doors possibly chipmunks.

If you do plan on getting any and they came from a shop or somewhere indoors if not getting them in the next week or two then you might need to wait until next May to put any animals out so they can gradually adjust.

• Advertisement

Oh i know i generally wouldnt buy an animal till spring/ summer so it can adjust before it starts to cool down .
    I would have a double door setup thats pretty much essential .
    Chipmunks sound ideal , do they hibernate i must do some research.

I have guinea pigs but they are indoor all the time and get nice runs inside in a large safe area we can block off.

I dont know too much about chipmunks but there are a few people on here that might be able to fill you in a bit more.

I've seen socks used for them stuffing old socks with hay and then they climb in and hide stuff in it. They love to climb and stuff so basically think of an environment that a mini squirell would like lots of natural stuff like logs, rocks, and hidey places.

Feel so sorry for the ones you see in cages they really don't seem to do well in them and much prefer a more natural set up like what you're thinking about.

Seen some nice set ups on tv like Longleat if you can get to visit places like that it will give you loads of ideas of what kind of things to put into it.

ya longleat looks like a great wildlife park , with good small animal sections to go with the immense large animal areas.
    Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

Im a chinchilla owner and I know for a fact their fussy little buggers. Mine (Sophie) is kept in doors and I worry about her over heating in the summer so good things to do are buy cooling rocks and stuff for them. Wouldn advise keeping them in a shed. Their social creatures and its not fair to just have them to breed to make a buck or two. They need human interaction and such but I must say a shed would be a marvelous palace :D

Advertisement