Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partners Drinking

Options
  • 24-08-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Don't know if this is the correct forum but would really appreciate some advice. My wifes drinking habits are becoming a major strain on our relationship and her realtionship with our children. It is not like she drinks every night but no longer drinks sociably, it seems like she drinks to get as drunk as possible in the time we are out. She has started to become slightly more agressive when drinking and she openly admits this but refuses to change her drinking habits as she claims she is not harming anyone. I disagree and have tried to point out she is harming our relationship and her relationship with our two boys, things improve for a couple of weeks and then over a period of time she slips back into old habits. This is a very brief summary and otherwise our marriage is good with the usual ups and downs. Any advice on how best to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

Right.... You need to solve this. You don't say what age your boys are but I'll assume they're young. I can look at this from their side of the fence as I grew up with a parent who abused alcohol. I could sit here for hours typing out things I went through but that's beside the point. This will spiral out of control if you and your wife can't get a handle on it.

Does your wife have a close friend who could maybe mention it to her? Sometimes hearing these things from somebody who isn't an immediate family member can help. These things don't come out of the blue and she could very well be depressed and the drinking is just her way of coping. If you can get her to counselling I'd recommend it.

Advertisement