Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bacon Pieces: €1.42 for 500g in tesco

Options
  • 24-08-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

Tesco have raw "Bacon Pieces" €1.42 for 500g, in my local one which is a "change for good" store. It is like offcuts from rashers, many packs are just loads of fat & grizzle, but many are actually leaner than regular bacon, in rashers or a sides of bacon. The bits are fairly big and it is very easy to cut the fat off (i.e. it is not streaks running through it.) I trim them up and fry them off. Quite salty, as expected.

€2.84 per kilo is very cheap, it is not a limited time offer, seems the normal price. Also had 5 or 6 thick bratwurst sausages for €1.79. A fair few new meat products out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Is it Irish or UK bacon? Tesco used to do one from somewhere like Roscommon and it was lovely but they don't stock it in my local one anymore.

IIRC Aldi/Lidl do 1kg of bacon misshapes for 1.99. And its usually lean. Could be wrong about the price though as its a while since I bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Is it Irish or UK bacon?
    Not sure, I'll check the pack later, I know it said it could be a mix of pale & back & possibly smoked.
    IIRC Aldi/Lidl do 1kg of bacon misshapes for 1.99.
    :eek: thats for nothing, when you think most sausages are €6+ per kilo.

Dunno if soaking it overnight in water would get rid of much salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno if soaking it overnight in water would get rid of much salt.

It would. Never tried it though but have been told it does by she who knows all aka the mother in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I used to buy this for €2 for 1KG, there is normally 2-3 nice sized bits in it, great for boiling and not to much fat.

The stuff I got {and still have some in the freezer} was Irish.

But remember that Irish stamp only means it was slaughtered in Ireland and that it is Irish born and bread.
    Tesco have raw "Bacon Pieces" €1.42 for 500g, in my local one which is a "change for good" store. It is like offcuts from rashers, many packs are just loads of fat & grizzle, but many are actually leaner than regular bacon, in rashers or a sides of bacon. The bits are fairly big and it is very easy to cut the fat off (i.e. it is not streaks running through it.) I trim them up and fry them off. Quite salty, as expected.

€2.84 per kilo is very cheap, it is not a limited time offer, seems the normal price. Also had 5 or 6 thick bratwurst sausages for €1.79. A fair few new meat products out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Love bargains but food this cheap can't be good for ya :confused:
    Somebody is losing out here. And it ain't tesco, it ain't the whole sale guy, it ain't the transporter.... etc etc.

• Advertisement

johndoc wrote: »
    Love bargains but food this cheap can't be good for ya :confused:
    Somebody is losing out here. And it ain't tesco, it ain't the whole sale guy, it ain't the transporter.... etc etc.
    It could be a simply loss leader, like they might sell bread or beans below cost to get people in. At least you can see whole bits of meat, some are quite large, that is what surprised me, that its not going into sausages.

Since the new "change for good" I have seen some VERY low prices in tesco on cheaper own brand stuff. I am often taking a double look at stuff thinking it must be a mistake and wondering if I should stock up!

So the person losing out is probably the suckers who buy this and then are gullible enough to believe the "fake offers" in tesco, and there are plenty of those too, i.e. signs just telling you its a great deal, I see lots of people blindly filling trolleys with alleged bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

We buy the Lidl ones... great for Spaghetti Carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

It could be a simply loss leader, like they might sell bread or beans below cost to get people in.
    snip
    So the person losing out is probably the suckers who buy this and then are gullible enough to believe the "fake offers" in tesco, and there are plenty of those too, i.e. signs just telling you its a great deal, I see lots of people blindly filling trolleys with alleged bargains.

+1
    Agreed. To browse a while, grab the loss leaders, then leave..... it gives me great satisfaction:D

Be carefull out there bargain hunters;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 summer

Just said i would try the Ballinasloe Branch of Tesco's, for this "Bacon Pieces" €1.42 for 500g, they said ''never heard of it'' so it must be only in available in select stores!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Is it Irish or UK bacon? .

Why would it matter where the pig was reared or killled?? At that price a pig is a pig..and its bacon!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

basquille wrote: »
    We buy the Lidl ones... great for Spaghetti Carbonara.

Not a bargain, but for taste M&S do lovely smoked bacon pieces for around 1.60 - brill for afore mentioned Carbonara!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I used to get the 1KG bag for E2 myself but they don`t stock it no more since the "Change for good" came in.

Tesco are doing their own version instead ,not as good as value per weight as the previous.

When i used to buy the 2KG and i would use 1 third and freeze the rest in 2 batches,it would yield easily 2 adult portions of a pasta dishes at a time with lean tasty bacon.

Great bang for buck:D

Think it was labelled by an Irish company "Country Style?" but stamped Danish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

these bacon bits are great for carbonaras or caesar salads as you don't have to waste your time cutting them up!! Also yummy in an omelette or mixed with chicken and mayo as a sambo filler

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

I use them too -although like previous poster I usually get it in Aldi.

I cook it add to tinned toms, onion and a little chilli powder and serve with pasta or rice. (MMMM)

Fran

They have come down in my tesco now, €1 for 500g, no mention that it is reduced, and no "offer" signs. I have noticed this a lot since the "change for good", a lot of the real bargains are not advertised at all, i.e. no big signs up at all. There were several new refrigerated meats out too, like cooked "value chunky chicken", it was ~€10 per kilo. They are also doing full cooked O'Kane chickens which I previously only got in dunnes.

Advertisement