Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky Hedgehog

Options
  • 24-08-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I discovered a big bloody hedgehog eating out of my Dogs bowl last night... cheeky devil!

The bowl contained left over dog nuts. I am in a remote part of the country side with 4 thick ditches and a small wooded area in the corner of the site, so I suppose it comes as no surprise that there is at least one hedgehog snooping around.

He froze and went into a ball when I opened the front door. It was the funniest thing, he was half way into the bowl and half way out of it. He was like a two year old child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. The wife took a photo of him with her iPhone.

I kept the dogs back, but the Jack Russell has already seen a hedgehog, in fact, it could be the same hog that I reported here a while back. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352068

Should I
    a) encourage the hog to call around again by leaving out more food (and try to get a video!)? What do they eat? (Dog nuts obviously :) )
    b) not feed him at all.

How long do Hedgehogs live for?

I've seen a lot of frogs in the garden and in general there is plenty of wild life around. It just struck me that he must be really hungry to come to the front door looking for food, especially given that he also must have known there were dogs in the house.

Thanks,
    Muppet Man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

We have HH's come to the house all the time, they eat the cat food... or dog food... why not encourage them, they're friendly enough and do no harm really.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

Seems the population of these guys is on the rise. Have one who pops under my gate fence on occasion to make his way to the back garden for a feast. Comes from the green and bushes across the way. Has been late at night when he arrives so the kids aint seen him yet... Found this piece informative. http://www.hedgehogs.org.uk/facts/page4.html

Advertisement