Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humming Bird?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Apologies if I seem like I'm raving but I'm convinced that a recently seen a humming bird, if anyone could shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

Lowdown on the location I seen it was at my parents house just outside Athlone. I was sat on the patio outside when I noticed a small bird hovering in front of the flower bed and appearing to place its beak inside one of the flowers hover there for a minute and then dissappear around the corner of the house.

Now this whole event lasted just a few seconds and it seemed to large to be an insect what I seen looks very similar the one in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hummingbird_Texas.jpg and the reason I say this is because I noticed the black/white feathers around the tail at the time.

Maybe I am gone mad but if anyone has any input I would appreciate it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This question crops up here with amazing regularity. It's not a humming bird (we don't have them anywhere in Europe at all, they're native to the Americas only), it's a moth, namely a Humming Bird Hawk Moth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroglossum_stellatarum

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Ah excellent! Thought I had lost it completely. That's exactly what I seen just very coonfusing when you only catch a brief glimpse of it.

Thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No problem, they're pretty big and manage to fool a lot of people into thinking they're real humming birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There was a thread about this a month ago
    Would you PM details. Date, location with grid ref. (use www.gridreference.ie ) and I'll add it to the MothsIreland database and perhaps put another dot on this map

Advertisement