Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feel Embrassed Need Translation

• 24-08-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if any of you could translate this paragraph of text into Irish? I tried doing it myself and ended in total failure. Was like O'Borat or something.

Many Thanks in Advance

It's for an arts group we are setting up in the Northwest:
    MISSION STATEMENT

A UNIQUE LANDSCAPE INSPIRING UNIQUE ARTISTS

The North West Artists Group was founded in May 2009 and comprises of artists from all over the North West of Ireland. The group was created with the intention of highlighting and promoting the visual arts movement within the North West region, from both an individual artistic perspective, as well as encompassing the broader regional, cultural agenda. Our aim is promote the visual arts of the Irish North West on a national and international level while at the same time promoting the cultural vibrancy of region through the promotion of the North West artistic scene.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I'd do it for ya only I'm pretty sure I'd have a decent couple of mistakes in it and I don't want to send you astray. hopefully somebody else will be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

pog it wrote: »
    I'd do it for ya only I'm pretty sure I'd have a decent couple of mistakes in it and I don't want to send you astray. hopefully somebody else will be able to help you.

I can proofread it if you like? I recently got my Translator's Seal :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Be really great folks if anyone could help. Many thanks for the offer. Really decent of you guys to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Was wondering if any of you could translate this paragraph of text into Irish? I tried doing it myself and ended in total failure. Was like O'Borat or something.

Many Thanks in Advance

It's for an arts group we are setting up in the Northwest:

Déanfaidh mise amárach é muna bhfuil sé faighte agat cheana féin. Fag teachtaireacht anseo má tá sé uait

Ráiteas Misin

Tírdhreach ar leith ag spreagadh ealaíontóirí ar leith

Bunaíodh Grúpa Ealaíontóirí an Iarthuaiscirt i Mí Bhealtaine 2009 le healaíontóirí ó gach áit in Iarthuaisceart na hÉirinn mar bhaill de. Ba é aibhsiú agus cothú ghluaiseacht na nAmharcealaíon laistigh de cheantar an Iarthuaiscirt, ó pheirspíctíocht ealaíne aonair, an clár leathan réigiúnda san áireamh, cúis le bunadh an ghrúpa. Tá sé mar aidhm againn amharcealaíona an Iarthuaiscirt a chothú ar leibhéal náisiúnta agus idirnáisiúnta, chomh maith le beogacht chultúrtha an cheantair, trí chothú saolréime na n-ealaíon san Iarthuaisceart.

Cad é bhur meas air seo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

b'fheidir ''indibhideach'' seachas (in áit) ''aonair''?

b'fheidir ''indibhideach'' seachas (in áit) ''aonair''?

Béarlachas!:D

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Béarlachas!:D

Maith thú a Cheilteach, nice work.

Must say that 'Peirspíctíocht' was new one for me and looks suspiciously Béarlachious to me! :) I did see that it is in de Bhal but I'm wondering do the older native speakers use it or is it more younger people or learners? But then again maybe it has been around and is used as much as say 'perspective' in the English language.

Just out of interest, how would 'dearcadh' compare as a translation for 'perspective' in your opinion? I know it usually means more 'point of view', 'outlook' in this kind of context.. but can we stretch it? Maybe not.. but it's what would come into my head straight off.

Also am just wondering about another thing. I thought that the genitive of Éire was 'Éireann' with Éirinn and Éire both being used and acceptable for the nominative and then for dative Éirinn as in- in Éirinn.

So... can you use Éirinn as genitive, or is that in 'In Iarthuaisceart na hÉirinn' the Éire will be in the dative as 'in' is leading the phrase?

Ní fear mór na n-ealaíon mé agus dáiríre nílim 100% faoi cad is “peirspictíocht” ann sa chomhthéacs seo i mBéarla fiú ach tá sé cloiste agam ar chláir theilifíse a dhéanann tagairt don saghas ruda sin. Ní déarfainn gur Béarlachas é toisc gur téarma teicniúil é. Maidir le dearcadh, ní fios dom an ionann é agus peirspictíocht i gcomhthéacs na nEalaíon Maidir le ginidieach an fhocail Éirinn, ba bhotún clóghrafach é sin, cinnte ba choir go mbeadh Iarthuaisceart an hÉireann ann. MAith thú as é a fheiceáil. Ní mé an duine is fearr ar an méarchlár ar aon nós. Tá an botún sin deisithe agam anois.

Leasú:
    Ní ligfidh sé dom é a leasú. An bhfuil tuairim ag éinne conas é a dhéanamh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I can proofread it if you like? I recently got my Translator's Seal :-)

Maith thú! :D

• Advertisement

Ní fear mór na n-ealaíon mé agus dáiríre nílim 100% faoi cad is “peirspíctíocht” ann sa chomhthéacs seo i mBéarla fiú ach tá sé cloiste agam ar chláir theilifíse a dhéanann tagairt don saghas ruda sin. Ní déarfainn gur Béarlachas é toisc gur téarma teicniúil é. Maidir le dearcadh, ní fios dom an ionann é agus peirspíctíocht i gcomhthéacs na nEalaíon Maidir le ginidieach an fhocail Éirinn, ba bhotún clóghrafach é sin, cinnte ba choir go mbeadh Iarthuaisceart an hÉireann ann. MAith thú as é a fheiceáil. Ní mé an duine is fearr ar an méarchlár ar aon nós. Tá an botún sin deisithe agam anois.

Leasú:
    Ní ligfidh sé dom é a leasú. An bhfuil tuairim ag éinne conas é a dhéanamh?

Níl 'fhios agam. An raibh tú sínte isteach ag an am?

Maidir le 'peirspíctíocht', sin focal nua atá agam anois agus níl ag teastáil amach i ndáiríre ach cleachtadh a fháil air! Go raibh maith agat as ucht an mhíniú a thabhairt dom sa gcomhthéacs sin, tá sé cineál tricky focal mar 'perspective' a aistriú ach tá mé sásta go bhfuil an focal ceart ar m'eolas anois.

Clóghrafach/méarchlár- Iontach deas feisin!

D'fhoglaim mé inniu go dtugtar 'luch' ar an computer mouse.

tá sé in am luí anois :D

Ní raibh neart agam orm féin!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/perspective

http://www.focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=perspective

Puts it all into perspective ... :pac:

Tá mé ag foghlaim Béarla anseo chomh maith!

Sílim féin gur fearr “luchóg”. Déanann sé idirdhealú idir an ainmhí agus an uirlis ríomhaire! Go bhfios dom, ‘sé sin an rud is coitianta sa chomhthéacs seo.
    Agus bíonn tú sínithe isteach. Difríocht shuntasach idir seo agus sínte isteach! Tá súil agam gur cuma leat an ceartú seo ach deir do phíosa féin go bhfuil fáilte roimh cheartúcháin!

right didnt know you were one of those - what year is it?

Anyway, fair play for doing the translation.

right didnt know you were one of those - what year is it?

Anyway, fair play for doing the translation.

One of what?
    Díreach mar eolas duit, seo 2009.

Sílim féin gur fearr “luchóg”. Déanann sé idirdhealú idir an ainmhí agus an uirlis ríomhaire! Go bhfios dom, ‘sé sin an rud is coitianta sa chomhthéacs seo.
    Agus bíonn tú sínithe isteach. Difríocht shuntasach idir seo agus sínte isteach! Tá súil agam gur cuma leat an ceartú seo ach deir do phíosa féin go bhfuil fáilte roimh cheartúcháin!

Go raibh míle míle maith agat Ceilteach agus cinnte bíonn mé fíor-bhuíoch d'aon cheartúcháin mar bím ag foghlaim as mo stuaim féin (is that expression okay for saying I am learning by myself/ off my own bat?)

How would you say "I mixed up the verbs 'sín' and 'sínigh'". Sin mar a tharla ar aon chuma mar is eol duit. Go raibh maith agat arís :)

Go raibh míle míle maith agat Ceilteach agus cinnte bíonn mé fíor-bhuíoch d'aon cheartúcháin mar bím ag foghlaim as mo stuaim féin (is that expression okay for saying I am learning by myself/ off my own bat?)

How would you say "I mixed up the verbs 'sín' and 'sínigh'". Sin mar a tharla ar aon chuma mar is eol duit. Go raibh maith agat arís :)

Tuigtear as “as mo stuaim” féin go bhfuil rud á dhéanamh agat gan aon bhrú ó éinne eile.
    B'fhéidir gurbh fhearr rud cosúil le díreach “liom féin” le cur in iúl go bhfuil tú ag foghlaim gan aon chabhair ó éinne!

Bealaí deasa le rá go ndearna tú botún maidir leis na briathra “sín” agus “sínigh” is ea:
    Rinne mé fudar fadar de na briathra “sín” agus “sínigh” nó b’fhéidir, “rinne mé broc de na briathra “sín” agus “sínigh”. Nó go simplí d’fhéadfá a rá gur éirigh tú measctha suas leis na briathra “sín” agus “sínigh”

Cool. What would you think of 'thóg mé sín in ábhraíocht sínigh'
    and 'chuir mé trína chéile iad'.

If I looked up the dictionary that is prob what I would have come up with!

Cool. What would you think of 'thóg mé sín in ábhraíocht sínigh'
    and 'chuir mé trína chéile iad'.

If I looked up the dictionary that is prob what I would have come up with!
    Tá "chuir mé trína chéile iad" go breá, níor chuala mé an ceann eile riamh le bheith macánta ach fuaimníonn se ábhairín "foclóireach"

militant gaeilgoir

it is 2009 - irish has ''difficult'' words that are not all ''béarlachas''

• Advertisement

militant gaeilgoir

it is 2009 - irish has ''difficult'' words that are not all ''béarlachas''
    Grow up. Trust me i know Irish has "difficult" words, there's plenty of technical words that are quite new to all languages and so a certain amount of borrowing goes on. In the case of "individual artists" i don't think there's any need to use the word indibhideach as there's a perfectly suitable term in irish that conveys the meaning.
    Don't be in such a hurry to brand people "militant". It's not about militancy it's about conveying the meaning and maintaining the intergity of the language where possible.

that is an irish word - you stated it was ''béarlachas''.

no one needs to grow up - learn maybe, but not grow up.

that is an irish word - you stated it was ''béarlachas''.

no one needs to grow up - learn maybe, but not grow up.

"learn to grow up" b'fhéidir?
    What dictionary did you find "indibhideach" in anyway?

Advertisement