Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie Domains for a fiver!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

IE Domain Registration Policy
    http://www.blacknight.com/iedr-policy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

Sounds like alot of work sending off documents and such :(
    very discouraging

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

very discouraging

Discouraging, Perhaps, However it does ensure a lot of good addresses arent taken randomly

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Its not that discouraging,

Once you have a decent reason to register the domain, you will be grand. The IEDR aren't as strict as they used to be!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

very discouraging

It looks like you only need 1 document, I wonder if you can email it to them, like a bill from eircom, Vodafone, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I emailed them documents before (with lets host.ie) and it was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

You can only register yourname.ie or yourbusiness.ie iirc.No wonder their trying to drum up business!

Random wrote: »
    I emailed them documents before (with lets host.ie) and it was accepted.

I just registered and was able to attach a PDF bill downloaded from the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

nava wrote: »
    I just registered and was able to attach a PDF bill downloaded from the web.

Good idea ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

garthv wrote: »

When I first read the above I was thinking OH NOES as I just transferred (literally this morning) 46 domains to Register365 but then I saw the line below in the T&C and breathed a sigh of relief. :)

The special price is limited to one order per customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

AARRRGH wrote: »
    When I first read the above I was thinking OH NOES as I just transferred (literally this morning) 46 domains to Register365 but then I saw the line below in the T&C and breathed a sigh of relief. :)

The special price is limited to one order per customer
    Ha, if only that wasn't included, you could've saved a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I already have:

- www.basquille.net
    - www.brian-basquille.com (got it free with BlackKnight and never even set it up).

Maybe I should get an .ie though. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Is it possible to set this up to forward to another address or does that cost extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It looks like you only need 1 document, I wonder if you can email it to them, like a bill from eircom, Vodafone, etc
    I've emailed a digital photo of my license recently and it was accepted
    carbsy wrote: »
    You can only register yourname.ie or yourbusiness.ie iirc.No wonder their trying to drum up business!
    it doesn't have to be yourname or yourbusiness. it can be anything once you inform them that its a subsidiary of your main company.

I've emailed a digital photo of my license recently and it was accepted

it doesn't have to be yourname or yourbusiness. it can be anything once you inform them that its a subsidiary of your main company.

Yes same here, got the email below within a couple hours after I sent the PDF bill.
    IEDR.IE wrote:
    Dear Registrant,

Thank you very much for your application for the registration of the domain name: xxxxxxxxx.ie

This has been accepted, and the supplied nameserver information will be verified. If the nameservers are not fully configured a verification failure email will be sent to the email address of the listed technical contact.

Kind regards,
    IE Hostmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

xxxxxxxxx.ie
    Are you going to set up a sex site with an Irish flavour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

They make it sound harder than it actually is to get a .ie domain name i got mine last feb. when they ran the .ie domain for a tenner promo. the site is www.bone-idle.ie as you can see thats neither my name or business i just wrote them a nice polite letter outlining what the site was for (ps3/xbox games) and why i would like to request the name. and it all went through really quickly with no problems.

My site is built with the free site builder blacknight give you when you buy some hosting ( about 50 euro a year ) i have had 0% experience with building sites so i dont think its turned out too bad for a first timer.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Are you going to set up a sex site with an Irish flavour :D

yes, but also that's my 1stname/lastname.ie :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Set up an account and it gets easier to register a domain the second time. I grabbed Hagar.ie in two minutes with no formalities as I had already got an account.

God knows what I'll do with it. Suggestions on a postcard please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Hagar wrote: »
    Set up an account and it gets easier to register a domain the second time. I grabbed Hagar.ie in two minutes with no formalities as I had already got an account.

God knows what I'll do with it. Suggestions on a postcard please.

A viking-themed comic strip, perhaps? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Hagar wrote: »

Hmmm... that sounds promising. So I can go with anything on a second domain? Even if it's unrelated to me or my company name?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

One order per client, the terms are pretty clear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Where do I email the documents to? Does it prompt me at the end of the transaction or something?

I'll scan in my drivers licence, passport, and a signed note. That should do it :) Just registering my name for the lulz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Would people recommend Hosting365? They do a "lite" package (5gb) for €30 per year. Or is it simpler to use the company you bought the domain from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

grizzly wrote: »
    Would people recommend Hosting365? They do a "lite" package (5gb) for €30 per year. Or is it simpler to use the company you bought the domain from?

All the one really but I do recommend blacknight. Good customer service and an unbelievably easy to use control panel (which lets you automagically install wordpress and other such nice things)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

Dave! wrote: »
    Where do I email the documents to? Does it prompt me at the end of the transaction or something?

I'll scan in my drivers licence, passport, and a signed note. That should do it :) Just registering my name for the lulz :D

you will get an email with a link to a page. You can upload the docs from that page. I did it last night and got confirmation that the docs were accepted this morning. Fairly painless imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tis a great deal but..

[OT]

Don't like their new Control Panel at all (well, it's been around a while now).. at least in the old one they allowed you to be able to add a wildcard address ('%') to access a MySQL database. Not anymore - only a dedicated static address is possible!

[/OT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What the hell.....?

I registered the domain with blacknight, but wasn't prompted to send any documentation

So I checked out iedr.ie and they seem to want me to register with them, which I was doing (they redirected me to domainregistry.ie), but now they're prompting me for €70 payment?! :eek:

Me bollix

What have I done wrong? :o

Just saw dubmick's post... Cheers, I'll wait for the email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If I want to use a .ie, but I'm not a business do I have to use my real name? or can I use something abstract? eg. a portfolio site called wizbang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I just transferred (literally this morning) 46 domains to Register365
    That was, ummm, brave!

Advertisement