Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurb of Citizen Automatic

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I have this watch sixteen years now, bought with from one of my first ever pay days. Last year after having left it in a drawer for three years or so I took it out gave it a shake, set the time and wore it for a few days. It seemed to be losing time so I took it in to a jewelers (galway) and asked if the watch could be cleaned and the mechanism checked. They said it had to be sent away so I left it with them for a few weeks. It seemed fine when it came back though I don't think much of their efforts at cleaning. Now however it seems to lose a few minutes each week and sometimes if I leave it off over night it stops altogether. It was my only watch for over ten years, during which I wore it regularly and it would keep time even if not worn for a couple of days. I know I could easily buy new watch but this one has sentimental value. Can anyone recommend somebody to properly clean the watch and check the mechanism?
    I don't fancy spending another €50 just to keep it running so so for another year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Trampoline

thegrayson wrote: »
    I have this watch sixteen years now, bought with from one of my first ever pay days. Last year after having left it in a drawer for three years or so I took it out gave it a shake, set the time and wore it for a few days. It seemed to be losing time so I took it in to a jewelers (galway) and asked if the watch could be cleaned and the mechanism checked. They said it had to be sent away so I left it with them for a few weeks. It seemed fine when it came back though I don't think much of their efforts at cleaning. Now however it seems to lose a few minutes each week and sometimes if I leave it off over night it stops altogether. It was my only watch for over ten years, during which I wore it regularly and it would keep time even if not worn for a couple of days. I know I could easily buy new watch but this one has sentimental value. Can anyone recommend somebody to properly clean the watch and check the mechanism?
    I don't fancy spending another €50 just to keep it running so so for another year.

Calcul in Shannon are the official distributor and service centre for Citizen in Ireland. They will service and overhaul your watch for you. It is possible that your jeweller sent it to them previously, and if that's the case they should be able to tell you if they previously serviced the watch. Tell them that you are still having problems and they may be able to help.

Calcul International Ltd.
    Bay 20, Free Zone West,
    Shannon, Co. Clare

061 472722
    service(at)solatrex.com

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Rang Calcul before I saw your reply. They wouldn't confirm if they had prieviously worked on my watch but did say that parts were no longer available for the movement. They said that it was not worth the effort or cost of trying to repair it. Its a shame really have had the watch sixteen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

I hate to dig up such an old thread, but i find it very dissapoining that Citizen didn't take a bit more interest in this? I wonder did thegrayson ever get his watch repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

you would think that citizen would have more interest alright, a shame to throw out a watch that has little wrong with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Calcul had an account on here for a while.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=505441

I PM'ed them about a problem I had with my 1996 eco drive. They could not help me with my specific problem but the person I was communicating with really did show an interest in the watch as it is a first generation eco drive.
    I found them good to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

Most older citizen auto's had an 8200 movement, while citizen/miyota don't make these anymore, afaik, the current 8205 is a drop in replacement. These are cheap so ordering from cousins etc will be under 100. It's a lot cheaper to drop in a new movement than disassemble, replace mainspring, clean, time etc. The movement code will be written on the case back somewhere and possibly in very tiny writing under the 6 on the dial.

If the watch has value for you, then the first step would be finding a watchmaker - there were some "vintage" recommendations here a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

I never had the watch repaired. It consistently lost time over a couple of days. Given that it originally cost me £55.00 I'm not sure I would bother having a new mechanism put in. I would be more inclined to put the €100 towards a new watch or one of my other costly habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

you would think that citizen would have more interest alright, a shame to throw out a watch that has little wrong with it..

its a while since they told me that a co 22 could not be repaired, unless its up to date they are not interested.

Advertisement