Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping watch to UK?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

For those of you who have sold watches through WUS, TZ or tz-uk, who have you used for shipping? I've always just sent with An Post and hoped for the best, but I'm sending a B&R to Wales tomorrow and don't want to risk sending a 1500 euro watch with just 320 euro insurance.
    So, who's best and cheapest? DHL, UPS...?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find UPS the better of the two. I would avoid parcel force as personally I've had issues with other stuff, though that may have been me being unlucky, so your mileage may vary.

I have found sending or receiving stuff from the US that the USPS is a better bet. I was told by an American chap I used to deal with that the dodgy types are less likely to screw with the mail service as it carries a federal rap to do so, but courier companies dont carry the same penalties.

For Britain or Europe I'd go with UPS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Interestingly enough, I called both UPS and DHL yesterday and they said they would only cover jewellery or watches for up to 500 euros :rolleyes:. So basically, there's no point in spending more on getting it fully insured. The guy I was shipping to said that he had a Rolex get lost in transit with UPS a few years back, and despite insuring it for £3500, they only paid out £500 :eek:. Must check with FedEx today to see if they are the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's crazy with that chaps rolex. I have found in order to get real cover you have to get an agreed value beforehand. Auction house valuation etc. Otherwise their own assessors will decide the value and naturally they'll fall on the cheap side.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's pretty insane to be honest. Anyway, I've noticed a couple of sales posts on tz-uk mention overseas shipping insured up to £500. Not much use if the watch is worth £5000 and goes missing.

Up until now I've usually sold on adverts.ie in order to avoid shipping hassles and possible scammers, but the market there is pretty rubbish compared to a dedicated watch forum.

This particular deal fell through in any case, but I'll make a few more calls this week, just for future reference. In the meantime, anyone want a Bell & Ross? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

I have sent a watch with ParcelPro. But to be honest I did not sleep too good until I heard it had arrived. Basically you insure through them and describe the watch as a "precision instrument" and package it in a special way(basically 2 boxes in one).

I also have taken a trip to Newry to send some watches back for warranty work. Here I used Royal Mail Secure Delivery with £2,500 insurance.

• Advertisement

Gavin1 wrote: »
    I also have taken a trip to Newry to send some watches back for warranty work. Here I used Royal Mail Secure Delivery with £2,500 insurance.

That's a great idea :)
    So basically it's not international shipping anymore. Man, you're a genius.
    Now, are post offices open on Saturdays up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Yes some of them are.

Check out www.royalmail.com

Good luck with the sale. What type BR is it?

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
    It's a BR03-92 in stainless steel. I'd wanted one for ages, and tried them on a couple of times in jewellers but I got it last week in a trade and I just haven't bonded with it.
    Now it could be because I fell head over heels for the Chopard Mille Miglia GMT I got the day before:D, but I think it's not long for this household. It is a lovely watch, but I already have a few square/rectangular cases, so I can't see it getting much wear.

Advertisement