Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP- Rabbit Loses balance

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Last night my rabbit kept losing his bablance and falling over finding it difficult to get up. We watcheted him carefully and it only hppened when he shakes his head. i read up online about head tilt, but he doesn't have any signs of turning his head to the side. I know he isn't happy, he is grinding teeth and scratching his left ear.
    The site i looked up said it is important to know how he got it for the effective treatment. (to differenctiate between an infection/a parasite/toxins/neuroligical isssue/trauma)
    Recently we moved house and my rabbit has been outside eating grass/dandelions for the first time- there could have been some treatment by the previous tennants on the lawn?
    My partners neice breifly picked up the rabbit by the ears(it won't happen again)
    he is eating normally...not drinking much
    Could either/both of these be the cause?:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Sorry to hear.
    With the best intentions, all the research is guesswork in the end.
    You need to get him to a good vet asap for examination and treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Dropping him to the vets this evening. The thing is, there are some causes that are incurable
    has anyone had experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

It sounds like something is wrong with his ears, as that would affect his balance too.
    Picking it up by the ears allthough wrong and uncomfortable for the rabbit would hardly cause him that much trauma. It could be an infection of sorts, but really you need a small animals vet to diagnose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like an ear infection or something like that good that he's been taken to the vets, whenever a rabbit is ill treat it as an emergency it's great to get info. from a forum esp. other owners experiences but best done once the rabbit (or any smallie) has been brought to the vets first as they go down very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Rabbit go downhill very quickly, as I learned at the beginning of the year :(

Jinxi, glad you're getting him to the vet. Another thing to look for is weightloss- it can be hard to see in a fluffy rabbit but you'll know by picking him up.

Chances are, it's just an ear infection as with GI issues and other infections, you'll see a lot of other symptoms- loss of appetite, lying down a lot, refusing to leave cage/hutch.

• Advertisement

Went to vet last night(so grateful to local vet for helping me with a payment plan!). His ears were clear. So there is alot of guess work for the vet. he had started with an injection of antibiotics(Baytril) and some steroids eardrops. have to see if they work!
    Still a bit wobbly. Appetite is great but not drinking at all! Giving him his favorite treats(frozen garden peas) to hopefully get some moisture into him. He is still coming out of his cage all the time and even last night went for a wander around the garden. Not his ususal self though. Hasn't binkied in more than a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Glad he's not doing too bad. It's always a worry when your rabbit needs the vet, you're never sure how serious it's going to be. Hope he comes around soon.
    Re. The drinking - one of my rabbits doesn't drink nearly as much as the others, he only drinks when it's hot out! It's an ongoing thing, but I tend to notice it more if he's under the weather. Was your rabbit much of a drinker before he got ill?

He was always drinking when he was an indoor rabbit. maybe withaccess to grass and dandelion leaves(he loves them) he is getting the moisture he needs from that?

What's binkied?

If he is eating more grass and dandelions and less hay and less dry food then he won't drink as much, I wouldn't give him too many frozen peas though. Even with the grass though he should be drinking a good bit.
    Did the vet check to see if he was dehydrated?

Do you have him indoors or outdoors at the moment?
    If he's outdoors I'd think about moving him indoors while he's unwell.

Could the vet find any infection, mites or swelling in the ear?

Have a really good read of this site, it's one of the more reliable ones http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

How experienced is your vet with rabbits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

What's binkied?

A binky is the name given to when a rabbit is really happy, they run around, jump up in the air, shake their head and kick out their legs. It's so cute to watch them binkying.

Glad you got your rabbit to the vet, and if he was binkying then he probably is feeling alot better! So many people seem to think small animals as replacable :(

• Advertisement

he hasn't binkied in a week or so.
    I did all my research. No mites(vet commented on how well he looked) nothing in ear, no sign of infection( i had to tell the vet that it was likely to be a middle ear infection)
    Looked a bit pale and a bit of a high temp( which was a fecking nightmare to take:rolleyes:).
    Vet says if it doesn't cure in a few days then he will knock him out (i don't like this as he is nearly 5) and neuter him at the same time9wnat to get him a lady friend for the winter months to snuggle)
    He only gave him 1 injection(Baytril) and I have read that it can take up to 6 weeks of antibiotics to cure. also steroid ear drops which he hates, as it makes him shake his head and fall over
    His cage has been inside since he showed symptoms. He was recently rehomed outside(feeling guilty that this contributed as he refused to go into his shelter when it rained) although he always has access to the house and my lap

He is Definaly NOT replaceable:D

By the way, is there any sort of probiotic I can get for him as antibiotics upset rabbits digestive system?
    i heard that Acidophyllis is good for it too/
    Anyone ever try it?

A binky is the name given to when a rabbit is really happy, they run around, jump up in the air, shake their head and kick out their legs. It's so cute to watch them binkying.

Glad you got your rabbit to the vet, and if he was binkying then he probably is feeling alot better! So many people seem to think small animals as replacable :(

Ah I see, learn summit new everyday only familiar with guineapigs popcorning, our rabbits esp. white one used to sumersault and jump about a lot I guess she was binkying lol.

OP I'd say he won't feel like binkying for a while esp. if he's under the weather. I know vets do their best but many are just guessing, unfortunetly there's not many vets who have a lot of expereince with rabbits, neutering would be a good idea but tbh not sure if neutering him yet is a good idea, I know it would be good to have the two things done at the same time but it will mean a longer anesthetic and as he's already under the weather neutering is best done when a bun is 100% but it's up to you and the vet to deceide wether he's able for both.

Pain management is important if you think he might be in any pain a mild safe pain killer might help him.

Pro biotic wise you can buy a jar of acedopholis in the chemist, it's not too expensive for the amount you get and you pierce the capsule and squeeze the contents directly into the buns mouth or onto some food you know the bun will eat straight away.

I would always give a pro biotic to a rabbit or guinea or bird that's being treated with antibiotics, avipro is handy to have for sick or recovering animals it's a great all round tonic.
    If you give one capsule an hour before any antibiotics are given that will help.

Would recommend though that perhaps, if you can get your hands on it, giving the bun Avipro plus although usually given in water it's also ok to give it in food like a bit of veggie like carrot that will soak it up.

https://www.brendaspets.ie/products/436/avipro-plus sell it

Also if you check out that link I put up try and send them an e-mail they might be able to help shed somemore light on it.

One idea might be ie if your vet is stumped, to get him to give Bairbre O'Malley in Bray a ring himself and see if she can give some advice.

Don't blame yourself the weather is still warm so doubt it's anything to do with leaving bun outside it's just bad luck sometimes rabbits can be a big worry when they are ill.

Another website that may help, although isn't a substitute for vet. care just handy to have to hand at any time http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/index.php

Thinks looking ok. less unsteady when he shakes his head(hate having ear drops)
    Was drinking from his bottle this morning when i left for 'work'!
    how long before i can get a companion for him?

That's great news sounds like he's perked up a bit, all pets hate ear drops but keep up with them looks likes it's working.
    After neutering the stitches come out after 10 days I would normally leave the buster collar on for one more day because the area can be itchy just to give it that bit of extra time to heal over.

After that if you get a rabbit that is already spayed you could get her straight away and have them side by side until they get used to each other.
    If you get a bun that isn't spayed then wait around 5 weeks 6 to be safe because he'll still be fertile for that time.

Advertisement