Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multi fuel stoves

Options
  • 24-08-2009 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

anyone got any info on multi fuel stoves.
    eg best size,make etc..
    im going to take out my open fire and put one in.
    i have lots of wood/birch/beech trees for cutting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i have the stanley eirin with a back boiler

when you burn turf you can close all the vents and 10 sods with take about 5hrs to burn, same with 2 shovel fulls of coal

i find with timber you need to have the vents slightly open, or the fire will just go out, this means all the roasting hot air is sucked up the chimney and reaplaced with cold air from the room

i use the sticks to heat water in the summer, as you would need a convayor belt if you wanted to warm the rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

mukki wrote: »
    i have the stanley eirin with a back boiler

when you burn turf you can close all the vents and 10 sods with take about 5hrs to burn, same with 2 shovel fulls of coal

i find with timber you need to have the vents slightly open, or the fire will just go out, this means all the roasting hot air is sucked up the chimney and reaplaced with cold air from the room

i use the sticks to heat water in the summer, as you would need a convayor belt if you wanted to warm the rads.

Hi,

I suggest that you ensure the moisture content of your wood / logs is as near to 20% as you can get, we tend to burn timber way too soon after cutting in this country, our European neighbours plan two years ahead (on average).

When burning wood in good quality stoves best practice is to allow a bed of embers build up on the grate then set your main fire of good dry timber.

The main air intake can then be closed and the secondary air combined with the airwash will generate as much heat from your logs as a bed of coal.

I hope the above is of some help.

Advertisement