Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Virus?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 1:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Logged on my laptop today (23 August) for the first time and found my date set back to 1 January 2005 and the time advanced by an hour and several minutes. Reset date and time without problems. Was wondering if a virus, worm, trojan, RAT, root kit, or some other type of malware could be the source of this date/time reset, or if it was symptomatic of a larger virus or other malware problem?

Specs: Running Vista Ultimate with 2gigs memory, and KIS2009 with firewall, all updated daily. No probs like this before. Have run scans but nothing is showing up.

Any ideas, comments, or links to the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

one word VISTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 VaPz

A bad bios battery resets the time and date,as thats where the settings are stored.
    If none of your scanners are picking it up.. Looking into the bios battery is a possibility

edit: try this

Common Symptoms of the bios battery being week or exhasted: If you boot the pc and you see a black screen and it says Bios Checksum error, thats a good clue, or you boot the machine and instead of starting the operating system you find it does not do so and when you go into the bios you find out that the date and time is not correct. You then set the time and date to be correct save the settings to the bios and restart the machine but it still can not boot and the time and date you just set has been lost again and has gone back to 1st Jan 1980 or some such daft date. Look if you keep resetting the time and date in the bios and it keeps loosing it, then the bios battery probably needs changing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I rebooted my laptop and it held the date and time (that I had reset). Nothing unusual about the screen on boot.

Never heard of a bios battery, but there's a lot I still have to learn about computers. Perhaps it's showing signs of weakness per your post? My laptop is about 2.5 years old and the portable/removable battery has been degrading in terms of storage time too, and should be replaced.
    -osborne- wrote: »
    one word VISTA
    I was a relatively early adopter, and for the first year I would agree with you... Plenty of bugs requiring fixes and patches. But during the past 1.5 years, I've had no probs with Vista (now SP2), and seems to run as fast and good as when I had XP SP3. Now let's NOT talk about IE8, which is rubbish! I use FF3.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 VaPz

It could be getting weaker, or it may be fine. Try some scans with Xoftspy trial and the full version of malwarebytes ( free ).

On another note, iv rarely had "problems" with vista. I dont dislike it. It works for what i use my computer for. So id gladly reinstall vista.

Advertisement