Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry or Economics?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I'm repeating the LC and was thinking about which one to do. I havn't done either subjects before, but was planning on doing Chemistry when I start school next month.

When I was talking to my aunt she suggest Economics instead as it was "easier" because it's all based on opinions and is a much better subject to do for points. She advised not to do Chemistry because her daughter did it and she said she thought it was very "though and intense". Thing is, I find science based subjects easier to get a base in and remember because I find science more interesting than Business or Economics.

What do you guys think? Anyone here in the same situation? Anyone do either or both subject(s)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Pete29 wrote: »
    I'm repeating the LC and was thinking about which one to do. I havn't done either subjects before, but was planning on doing Chemistry when I start school next month.

When I was talking to my aunt she suggest Economics instead as it was "easier" because it's all based on opinions and is a much better subject to do for points. She advised not to do Chemistry because her daughter did it and she said she thought it was very "though and intense". Thing is, I find science based subjects easier to get a base in and remember because I find science more interesting than Business or Economics.

What do you guys think? Anyone here in the same situation? Anyone do either or both subject(s)?

I have done both subjects.I did chemistry for 5th and 6th year and then i dropped it for economics when I repeated because I thought it would be handier. I definitely should have stayed with the chemistry. It is a tough subject but if you work hard at it and if you are interested in science like you say you should be grand. i just did NO work for it so thats why i found it tough but at the start of 5th year I liked it and got A's in all the class tests. As for economics it is a lot harder than business or accounting in my opinion.There is a lot to take in and it is in two part...macro and micro economics.One part is all learning and the second is full of statistics and graphs which I found very hard to remember!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

This year's economics paper has been weird. One of our teachers would have a class outside school and last year, he got his entire class an A1. He's a very good teacher. It's his method. However, this year, only one person got an A1 and he got 600. Even the smartest person in our year who was trying to get into Cambridge didn't get his A1 in economics.

I'd do Chemistry if you really do like science. If you're into science, you shouldn't find Chemistry a problem because it can be a very interesting course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Pete29 wrote: »

I didn't do Economics, but I did Chemistry (and got an A1 in it:D) It's a very interesting course, and I think it has a good balance between rote learning (definitions etc), logical reasoning, practical work and calculations/maths. It was one of my favourite subjects to study. It's a tough course though - you won't find it easy. You need to have an aptitude for science (as well as a good work ethic) to do well in it, and the paper tends to be rather challenging, generally speaking. Did you do Physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Looks like it 's chemistry then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

I do both subjects and have just competed 5th year, Id reccomend Economics if its based on points, Chemistry is very hard, where as alot of Economics is common sense, a little study and ofcourse watching the news & prime time etc, trust me on this If you put a little effort into economics it is a garunteed B1 or higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

ECONOMICS!!! this subject is soo easy to get a b in and if you work at it you can easily get an A like me :D .. dont know about chemistry sorry

Advertisement