Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre match tactics!

Options
  • 23-08-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Before playing me brother last night, I threw three 1's on purpose just to give him some hope just before we played our match. I went in 140,100,80 and finished with 16 darts, just wondering would this work against better players?? They might think this might be easy and not play as good! Opinions please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Before playing me brother last night, I threw three 1's on purpose just to give him some hope just before we played our match. I went in 140,100,80 and finished with 16 darts, just wondering would this work against better players?? They might think this might be easy and not play as good! Opinions please!

Depends on who your playing i think.
    Better players dont worry about what their opponents hit in the warm up(or they shouldnt anyway)

I know myself that it doesnt bother me what a player hits in the 6/9 darts before a match or even in the match itself as im focusing on what i hit and not them :)

Found this on pdc website , John Parts Darts

http://www.pdc.tv/page/FeaturesDetail/0,,10180~730348,00.html

Near the bottom he addresses the warm up darts prior to a match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Daffy501 wrote: »
    Depends on who your playing i think.
    Better players dont worry about what their opponents hit in the warm up(or they shouldnt anyway)

I know myself that it doesnt bother me what a player hits in the 6/9 darts before a match or even in the match itself as im focusing on what i hit and not them :)

Good thinking, I'll have to think like that with the British Open coming up!:eek::D I always think about my opponents last throw, wanna just think about my throw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

Good thinking, I'll have to think like that with the British Open coming up!:eek::D I always think about my opponents last throw, wanna just think about my throw!

Best thing to do is not look at the board when your opponent is throwing then you dont know what they have hit mate , thats what i do.
    However during the match i also block out what the caller is saying until its my turn to throw , hard to do but it works for me , then you dont know what he has scored either

Just saw the update Daffy! Great advise from Mr Part!:)

Best thing to do is not look at the board when your opponent is throwing then you dont know what they have hit mate , thats what i do.
    However during the match i also block out what the caller is saying until its my turn to throw , hard to do but it works for me , then you dont know what he has scored either

That's better than Part's advice! I'll try that from now on! Cheers Daffy!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Best thing to do is not look at the board when your opponent is throwing then you dont know what they have hit mate , .
    Same here never look at what my opponent is hitting in the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I ignore practice, it means nothing, before an exhibition against mick mcgowan i hit 140, 140, 121, then i threw 41 41 41 60 60 in the exhibition (fortunately he threw just as bad)

in a game i look at the opponent throwing and if he scores bit i use it to get myself up for the next throw, motivation ,if he scores small i do the same saying to myself "Up on that, punish that throw"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I was always told to try ignore the opponents score etc.........its simple really.......no matter what you do you cannot influence your opponents score........your best forgetting about his score and concentrate on your own.......so many times when i started playing league darts i was told "play the board not the man"........it took a while to sink in but it great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

MBC wrote: »
    I was always told to try ignore the opponents score etc.........its simple really.......no matter what you do you cannot influence your opponents score........your best forgetting about his score and concentrate on your own.......so many times when i started playing league darts i was told "play the board not the man"........it took a while to sink in but it great advice.

whoever said that to u is right, ignore what the other player is doing, if u start watching what the other playeris doin u might aswell go home.

I practice my doubles before i start a match cos if the other player starts goin for the double aswell after me i know he is watching what i am doing, it works sometimes,

but the main thing is to watch ur own game cos u cant control what the other player is doin

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

post match tactics are no good as the games over.

• Advertisement

padr81 wrote: »
    post match tactics are no good as the games over.

I knew somebody would pick up on my error!;):D Pre match I meant to say!:o:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I knew somebody would pick up on my error!;):D Pre match I meant to say!:o:D

;)

Kingp35 wrote: »
    ;)

Sound KingP!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Everyone noticed:p we were all talking bout ya in pm's but being polite on thread.

Advertisement